England vs New Zealand

Curtains

​New Zealand have bowled full and straight.

England 163-0 at tea.

So much for that theory. ;)

​Accept your point and the spirit in which it was meant but NZ are bowling at 1 and 2 not 10 and 11.

So few yorkers too.

It's a good batting pitch but the bowling from both sides has been decidedly average. And down on pace.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Accept your point and the spirit in which it was meant but NZ are bowling at 1 and 2 not 10 and 11.

So few yorkers too.

It's a good batting pitch but the bowling from both sides has been decidedly average. And down on pace.

​For the last two or three years (probably longer - maybe since Fred and Harmy packed up) England have struggled to blow away the tail - and so have other teams. I'm not sure why that is, but twice in the last 3 years England have conceded over a hundred in taking the last wicket (Best & Ramdin 143 in 2012, then Hughes and Agar 163 in 2013 - and then of course Root and Jimmy adding 198 against India last year). Of course, the absence of a quality spin bowler doesn't help either.

PistoldPete2

​For the last two or three years (probably longer - maybe since Fred and Harmy packed up) England have struggled to blow away the tail - and so have other teams. I'm not sure why that is, but twice in the last 3 years England have conceded over a hundred in taking the last wicket (Best & Ramdin 143 in 2012, then Hughes and Agar 163 in 2013 - and then of course Root and Jimmy adding 198 against India last year). Of course, the absence of a quality spin bowler doesn't help either.

Two of those were Trent  bridge , where the pitch has got slower and slower which makes it easier later in the innings. Taile Enders have got better since the old days too. Also if we only play four front line bowlers then the bowlers get tired which makes it easier later in the innings. 

Two of those were Trent  bridge , where the pitch has got slower and slower which makes it easier later in the innings. Taile Enders have got better since the old days too. Also if we only play four front line bowlers then the bowlers get tired which makes it easier later in the innings. 

​Yes I agree about that being the norm Trent Bridge, but the Aussie partnership was on the morning of day 2, and the West Indies one at Edgbaston was on the equivalent of day 2 (the first 2 days having been washed out without a ball being bowled).

Completely agree about the 'four bowlers' nonsense - my biggest gripe about the current negative England philosophy of trying to cram extra batsmen into the side

Archived