England vs New Zealand

Curtains

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KP never plays silly shots and gets out. We just aren't very good and KP wouldn't all of a sudden make us into a decent side

KP did play irresponsible shots yes and rightly was criticized for it. 

Cook should know better as England Captain particularly after a loss of a crucial wicket. 

KP also played some fantastic cricket for England but that's all forgotten in the bigger picture of his indiscipline . 

Strauss has ended KPs England career so it's all irrelevant now .

Root and Stokes have done what no England players have done in the last 12 months - taken the attack to the opposition and put on 50-odd at better than a run a ball.

Always best to analyse the true situation in the game.

New Zealand bowled well in helpful conditions. England allowed them to by batting so negatively. Now that Root and Stokes have taken it to them, batting looks easier and doubt creeps into the bowlers over line and length.

Great cricket so far.

Root went for 98, looking to slap a wide one to bring up his ton.

Latest with 4 overs to go today is 344-6 with I hate you Buttler on 65 and Moeen Ali on 41.

Nice fight back. 

Why is Moeen at 8?  That low, you might as well pick a proper spinner. 

​The basic inherent negativity of Strauss and Cook. Seven batsmen, a batting part-time spinner and three seamers is not the way to win a lot of test matches, but equally it's not the way to lose a lot either.

​The basic inherent negativity of Strauss and Cook. Seven batsmen, a batting part-time spinner and three seamers is not the way to win a lot of test matches, but equally it's not the way to lose a lot either.

​I think Ali at 8 makes sense at the moment. There is no stand-out spinner in the country at present and so we should pick the one who can bat.

I applaud the selection of Lyth and Wood and I hope both in time prove a success.

​I think Ali at 8 makes sense at the moment. There is no stand-out spinner in the country at present and so we should pick the one who can bat.

I applaud the selection of Lyth and Wood and I hope both in time prove a success.

​I saw Wood in his only previous international appearance (in Dublin) - he looked very sharp.

Moeen Ali has 2 first class wickets this season - a total equalled by the much-vaunted Adam Riley of Kent and Monty Panesar, so as far as spin bowling is concerned, I agree. We are in a desert. That's why I would be inclined to pick a fourth seamer (Bresnan or Finn) and give Root a few overs - especially in May after a wet spring.

If we are building up to the Ashes, I still think that four seamers is the only way we will be able to compete - to a certain extent the Aussies are in a similar boat, although Nathan Lyon is better than anything we have.

Archived