Credit Cards

AmericanRam

I usually just use my debit card or cash to make purchases,but just checking my credit score,its not where I would like it to be.

I have heard paying credit card on time for a bit really helps raise credit score.

Any here have credit cards? If so,what do you generally purchase with them?See them as useful?

I need to build my credit up,any other suggestions for doing so?

Thanks.Have been looking at a Barclay's card.Any have one?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having credit be it a mobile phone contract, Digital TV or credit card does improve your rating if you pay on time. It takes a while tho, this isn't a month or two thing, talking years.

Best thing to do is get one of those high APR ones, go shopping and pay it off instantly. 

Don't go for low APR cards as you won't get one and failed credit checks can also stop you getting credit.

I usually just use my debit card or cash to make purchases,but just checking my credit score,its not where I would like it to be.

I have heard paying credit card on time for a bit really helps raise credit score.

Any here have credit cards? If so,what do you generally purchase with them?See them as useful?

Whatever you do, set up a direct debit so each month you pay the card off in full, use it for everyday spends, not to buy things beyond your income, and after 12 months your credit score will look better.

If you can't afford to do this, don't even think about it, credit card companies love those who only pay the minimum back each month.

just try and use it every month. The thing is, every now and then just pay the minimum, that way the credit card company makes some interest on you, making them money, this somehow makes you a better candidate for future credit.

Not sure what the American credit card market is like,  but if you can find a Cash back credit card it's free money, as long as you pay it in full, do have inside knowledge of this area, as the missus works for one of the aforementioned American companies.

I personally have 3 cards, one for everyday spends, which pays cash back in the form of vouchers, which can be redeemed at 3x face value at certain times of the year, one for foreign spends which has no charges whatsoever for overseas use, and a DCFC card which gives 9 months 0% interest on season ticket purchase. It's really important to be disciplined though, set up repayment plans in the appropriate timescales so you don't pay interest.

just try and use it every month. The thing is, every now and then just pay the minimum, that way the credit card company makes some interest on you, making them money, this somehow makes you a better candidate for future credit.

As said before, credit cards are great for making life easy, but, always pay them off in ful every month.

i use Tesco credit cards

i buy my fuel from Morrisons on my tesco card, thus getting club car points and Morrison miles points too. At Xmas I cash them all in.

cards with rewards are great if you pay them off every month, what's to lose?

As said before, credit cards are great for making life easy, but, always pay them off in ful every month.

i use Tesco credit cards

i buy my fuel from Morrisons on my tesco card, thus getting club car points and Morrison miles points too. At Xmas I cash them all in.

cards with rewards are great if you pay them off every month, what's to lose?

APR?

shouldnt matter if you pay it off everymonth. Look for the other benefits.

a personal loan would be cheaper if you think you need money for some thing specific, at least you know you'll pay it off in a set time frame, with probably less interest.

unles the card offers an interest free period, then it's best to work out the debt over the time period and put the monthly amount in a savings account that you then use to settle the card at the end of the free period.

i hate being grown up, it was so easier being a kid, yet couldn't wait to be an adult ?

Archived