Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These fickle fans are at every club mate. I can also see a few of these idiots slowly turning on him (some may already have :S). Luckily these idiots are the minority, its just unfortunate that their voices are the loudest! ​

I've only been properly supporting Derby since the 08 - 09 season so McClaren is a bit of a god to me!

I could see us winning the last 7 games with everyone back fit.

Mac's team has been built around two main parts with a holding / screening midfielder and a centre forward who is good on the ground and good in air. We we have both in Thorne and Martin and I think the plan was if Thorne doesn't play the Eustace comes in. We could afford to swap those players because although Eustace isn't as good a footballer as Thorne we have others who can take over. I think we were okay without Thorne but the big loss to injury was Martin and it really shows. He had 16 league goals before injury so if he hadn't got injured he would be the league's top scorer. He is the focal point of our attack and without him we look at little lost up front. Bent is good and is a poacher, his goal scoring quality at this level is good. Martin also offered us something in defence as when back for corners he is effectively a third centre half. Mascarell was a risk because he isn't use to the physicality or speed of the English game, this let us down but we're good enough to swallow it. Martin's injury was a killer and then Bent's injury on top was very unfortunate.

I thought Middlesbrough were an average team and with Thorne and Martin we would have easily beat them. Bamford is a good poacher but offers nothing else. I thought he was easily marshalled and they scored because of us giving the ball away, nothing more.  

GRANT .. 5 .. obviously appalling error , but this DOES NOT make him a bad goalie ! ..

CHRISTIE .. 6 .. some good forward surges , but confidence still low .. 

KEOGH .. 6 .. our best defender over past few matches , but it was a poor touch for the 'Grant goal' 

ALBENTOSA .. 6 .. he's not bad , and he should improve , but don't think he gives as much coming out of defence as does Buxton .. 

FORSYTH .. 6 .. bad mistake , but otherwise a threat going forward .. 

HUGHES .. 8 .. a creative force all night .. 

BRYSON ..  6 .. His best game for some time .. 

INCE .. 7 .. very busy , and bad luck with hitting crossbar .. 

BENT .. 5 .. not in the game enough , and no substitute for the MASSINELY MISSED MARTIN .. 

LINGARD .. 7 .. an incisive contribution all game .. 

RUSSELL .. 7 .. back on the wing and looking much more comfortable .. 

DAWKINS .. 6 .. 

Talk of Grant being rubbish , 'McLaren out' , etc. is short-sighted lunacy .. It's perfectly obvious to anyone with a football brain what the problem is ..

Unfortunate  injuries to Thorne and Eustace , but primarily , the injury to Martin has deprived us of the 'focal point' of all our creative play .. once he was injured I knew we were going to struggle big time .. 

If there is one criticism that can be levelled at McLaren it is , possibly, not considering carefully enough what would happen if Martin were to be absent for more than a couple of games , and also , perhaps not trying hard enough to find a loan deal that could compensate in some part for him ..Bent is not that man , but possibly , if the rumours were right , then Ricky Lambert could have been .. 

GRANT .. 5 .. obviously appalling error , but this DOES NOT make him a bad goalie ! ..

CHRISTIE .. 6 .. some good forward surges , but confidence still low .. 

KEOGH .. 6 .. our best defender over past few matches , but it was a poor touch for the 'Grant goal' 

ALBENTOSA .. 6 .. he's not bad , and he should improve , but don't think he gives as much coming out of defence as does Buxton .. 

FORSYTH .. 6 .. bad mistake , but otherwise a threat going forward .. 

HUGHES .. 8 .. a creative force all night .. 

BRYSON ..  6 .. His best game for some time .. 

INCE .. 7 .. very busy , and bad luck with hitting crossbar .. 

BENT .. 5 .. not in the game enough , and no substitute for the MASSINELY MISSED MARTIN .. 

LINGARD .. 7 .. an incisive contribution all game .. 

RUSSELL .. 7 .. back on the wing and looking much more comfortable .. 

DAWKINS .. 6 .. 

Talk of Grant being rubbish , 'McLaren out' , etc. is short-sighted lunacy .. It's perfectly obvious to anyone with a football brain what the problem is ..

Unfortunate  injuries to Thorne and Eustace , but primarily , the injury to Martin has deprived us of the 'focal point' of all our creative play .. once he was injured I knew we were going to struggle big time .. 

If there is one criticism that can be levelled at McLaren it is , possibly, not considering carefully enough what would happen if Martin were to be absent for more than a couple of games , and also , perhaps not trying hard enough to find a loan deal that could compensate in some part for him ..Bent is not that man , but possibly , if the rumours were right , then Ricky Lambert could have been .. 

Archived