Can Nigel get to Wembley?

Brammie Steve

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't give a sausage, why comment?

Fingers crossed for him. I really hope they make it

I was asking a question. Hence the question mark. Really, I want to know who cares, and why?

Nigel has no more connection to this club than Burley, Brown, Jewell or Davies. In fact Davies should be held in higher esteem, as should Burley. Brown worked in similar circumstances but wasn't afforded 5 years.

Why anyone would want him to do well is beyond me. I know for a fact he enjoyed our last league defeat.

I still like to see him do well.

He created a good basis for our current success with little or no cash.

He left the club at the right time.

As far as being happy for Forest, he was a brilliant player for them and his dad managed them for longer than he managed Derby.

Some of us respect the Clough dynasty and I for one wish Nigel all the best.

I can appreciate that some of you disagree.

No problem!

I was asking a question. Hence the question mark. Really, I want to know who cares, and why?

Nigel has no more connection to this club than Burley, Brown, Jewell or Davies. In fact Davies should be held in higher esteem, as should Burley. Brown worked in similar circumstances but wasn't afforded 5 years.

Why anyone would want him to do well is beyond me. I know for a fact he enjoyed our last league defeat.

I want Nigel to do well. Why? Because I thought he did well by our club and I like him.

You've had this bitter campaign against Nigel for so long now, why not just let it go? If people want him to do well, or talk about him in 'Football Talk', why do you care? I really don't get it.

I want Nigel to do well. Why? Because I thought he did well by our club and I like him.

You've had this bitter campaign against Nigel for so long now, why not just let it go? If people want him to do well, or talk about him in 'Football Talk', why do you care? I really don't get it.

Bitter campaign? Really? Do you know what a 'campaign' is? My comments about Nigel are always in response to someone's misguided (in my opinion) loyalty to someone who wasn't as successful as people pretend he was, wasn't as dedicated as people pretend he was, wasn't as loyal (to Derby) as people pretend he was.

If people want him to do well, great, it's nothing to do with Derby County though. Piss-off over to the Blades forum and love him there.

Bitter campaign? Really? Do you know what a 'campaign' is? My comments about Nigel are always in response to someone's misguided (in my opinion) loyalty to someone who wasn't as successful as people pretend he was, wasn't as dedicated as people pretend he was, wasn't as loyal (to Derby) as people pretend he was.

If people want him to do well, great, it's nothing to do with Derby County though. Piss-off over to the Blades forum and love him there.

Always in response? Like the thread that you started within weeks of returning to the forum?

Once again, this is 'football talk'. The fact that you can't accept any positive Nigel talk in here says a lot.

Always in response? Like the thread that you started within weeks of returning to the forum?

Once again, this is 'football talk'. The fact that you can't accept any positive Nigel talk in here says a lot.

You mean the thread about Sam Rush? Making a tough choice? One that was totally relevant and related to Derby County? Or another one? Please remind me.

I can accept positive talk, in fact, if you've paid so much attention to my posts, you'll know I've paid a couple of positive comments about Nigel in recent days. What I struggle with is the feeling that people would rather see Nigel do well at another club, yet criticise things here at Derby, when things HERE under Nigel were massively worse!!

People need to draw a line under Nigel, he's nothing to do with Derby. No more than John Gregory or Phil Brown are!

You mean the thread about Sam Rush? Making a tough choice? One that was totally relevant and related to Derby County? Or another one? Please remind me.

I can accept positive talk, in fact, if you've paid so much attention to my posts, you'll know I've paid a couple of positive comments about Nigel in recent days. What I struggle with is the feeling that people would rather see Nigel do well at another club, yet criticise things here at Derby, when things HERE under Nigel were massively worse!!

People need to draw a line under Nigel, he's nothing to do with Derby. No more than John Gregory or Phil Brown are!

The one that contained numerous unnecessary digs at Clough.

I haven't been on the forum much in the last few days, so I've no idea what you've been saying. Would rather see Nigel do well than...?

Once again, in football talk, it doesn't matter if he has anything to do with Derby. That's the point.

The one that contained numerous unnecessary digs at Clough.

I haven't been on the forum much in the last few days, so I've no idea what you've been saying. Would rather see Nigel do well than...?

Once again, in football talk, it doesn't matter if he has anything to do with Derby. That's the point.

Did NOT contain a single dig at Nigel.

Aside from the fact that we largely have him to thank for our current plight. 

He built the majority of this side from next to nothing so his legacy firmly lives on. Some folks on here would do well to remember that.

Gregory and Phil Brown's died some time ago and to mention either in the same breath as Nigel is rather frankly, insulting to our last manager.

He built the majority of this side from next to nothing so his legacy firmly lives on. Some folks on here would do well to remember that.

Gregory and Phil Brown's died some time ago and to mention either in the same breath as Nigel is rather frankly, insulting to our last manager.

I'm always stunned that people try and just strike Nigel from our history. Say what you will about how he dealt with players and how well he could get the team to perform, he built an amazing side, one that Steve Mac has gotten so much more out of than he ever did, but one he still built.

I disagree.

At best, he can pick a player, at worst, his scouts can pick a player, but he did also leave us with a load of dross, thankfully he's taking it all to Sheffield with him.

He couldn't do anything with decent players, and he couldn't make a decent player look better (a la Billy Davies).

He under-achieved for at least 3 seasons. Rarely got the best out of the team, and in my opinion would struggle to get Barcelona promoted from this division, such is his lack of managerial ability.

There was a time when Brian Clough's proteges looked like they'd take over the world of football, but it's now evident that the game has moved on beyond them all, with the likes of O'Neill, Megson, Pearce, Keane, Laws, Clough, Wigley etc etc all being exposed as dinosaurs of the game already.

I disagree.

At best, he can pick a player, at worst, his scouts can pick a player, but he did also leave us with a load of dross, thankfully he's taking it all to Sheffield with him.

He couldn't do anything with decent players, and he couldn't make a decent player look better (a la Billy Davies).

He under-achieved for at least 3 seasons. Rarely got the best out of the team, and in my opinion would struggle to get Barcelona promoted from this division, such is his lack of managerial ability.

There was a time when Brian Clough's proteges looked like they'd take over the world of football, but it's now evident that the game has moved on beyond them all, with the likes of O'Neill, Megson, Pearce, Keane, Laws, Clough, Wigley etc etc all being exposed as dinosaurs of the game already.

And I have to vehemently disagree with you.

I think he actually over-achieved more than he under-achieved. Keeping Derby around mid-table was about the best we could have hoped for given the changes he was forced to make.

What dross did he leave us with exactly?

OK...Connor Sammon hasn't done much but who else?

He has taken Coutts to Sheffield Utd and Freeman bith whom were no more than squad players and neither broke the bank.

And I have to vehemently disagree with you.

I think he actually over-achieved more than he under-achieved. Keeping Derby around mid-table was about the best we could have hoped for given the changes he was forced to make.

What dross did he leave us with exactly?

OK...Connor Sammon hasn't done much but who else?

He has taken Coutts to Sheffield Utd and Freeman bith whom were no more than squad players and neither broke the bank.

How can you say he over-achieved? Over-achievement would be beating a Prem team and going on a cup run, not losing to Crawley! How can it be over-achievement when his immediate replacement immediately climbs the table to a play off place!?!?!?

How can you say he over-achieved? Over-achievement would be beating a Prem team and going on a cup run, not losing to Crawley! How can it be over-achievement when his immediate replacement immediately climbs the table to a play off place!?!?!?

I said he overachieved more than he underachieved. 

There is a difference.

We climbed the table with the right additions to Cloughs framework. 

McClaren has come in and put the icing on the cake.

I said he overachieved more than he underachieved. 

There is a difference.

We climbed the table with the right additions to Cloughs framework. 

McClaren has come in and put the icing on the cake.

When? Example please!

You can only judge at the end of a complete season and we never over-achieved.

Archived