What exactly is 'Plan B' ?

condor

Yes agreed but not sure if you expect us to be capable of maintaining some nominal level of performance week in week out if we were then we'd be romping the league

You have to question what makes us go from so good to so bad in the space of a week though. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plan B is the same plan for every club in world football whether they choose to use it or not. Chuck everything forward and get the ball forward as fast as possible while leaving massive potential to be countered

What I assume most people think when they say "plan B" is that it's a magical and different way of playing that would have somehow won every match that plan A lost.

Everyone has their style and philosophy on football. McClaren has his. Like any manager he will tweak and adjust to suit the players he has. But he'll only ever play and coach a certain way if he has any sense. Chopping and changing end with the season over quickly as nobody really knows what they're doing.

It's not insane to keep doing the same thing. Plan A (wtf are we saying here) has plenty of room for players to do things differently. To alter their behaviour while sticking to the principles McClaren has installed

Yesterday for example had nothing to do with the lack of plan B. Plan A didn't include 2 of our midfielders trying to score without the ball. It didn't include constant head tennis and hoofing.

You can always create space on the pitch. No matter where you're pressed. And we've lost our 7 games to a few different approaches.

We've had to adjust to win games. McClaren has talked about games becoming "fullback games".

But the philosophy and style will always be consistent with top coaches. Mick McCarthy will always try to play from the front.

"Plan B" would have had us winning 26 out of 26 games. It's a myth

At the end of the day you can only do so much with a player. He has to do the rest himself. If he doesn't perform and a few others don't on the day, you lose.

If you want to see chopping and changing of systems/styles then look at Derby over the last few years.

What manager has a plan B? What would be our plan B?

If it does exist then I think I saw it yesterday when we were kicking the ball really high and far and then having 5 players chase after it while 4 defended for their lives. They lost the plot

You didn't answer my question. What do you think was the main reason?

Sorry mate. Ok, here's how I saw it:

Derby went in half time 1-0 up and fairly comfortable, although Forest had grown into the game the last five or 10 mins of the half and there were a couple of warning signs. Nevertheless, I was quite relaxed and felt we had another gear to move up to.

The second half a few things became apparent very quickly. Obviously, with no Will Hughes, Derby's ability to retain the ball and play our best football was lessened. 

However, at the same time, Forest changed their midfield shape to play a more narrow system and allow Osborn more freedom to push up and roam a little. They started doing what they hadn't in the first half - harry, chase, win every second ball. And all that - plus Derby's inability to cope with that - won them the game.

So in my opinion it was a mixture of things. Had Forest performed in the second half as they did in the first, we might well have won 1-0. If Derby performed in the second half as they had in the first, we might well have won 1-0.

But a combination of both team's performances led to us losing.

Hope that clarifies. 

Sorry mate. Ok, here's how I saw it:

Derby went in half time 1-0 up and fairly comfortable, although Forest had grown into the game the last five or 10 mins of the half and there were a couple of warning signs. Nevertheless, I was quite relaxed and felt we had another gear to move up to.

The second half a few things became apparent very quickly. Obviously, with no Will Hughes, Derby's ability to retain the ball and play our best football was lessened. 

However, at the same time, Forest changed their midfield shape to play a more narrow system and allow Osborn more freedom to push up and roam a little. They started doing what they hadn't in the first half - harry, chase, win every second ball. And all that - plus Derby's inability to cope with that - won them the game.

So in my opinion it was a mixture of things. Had Forest performed in the second half as they did in the first, we might well have won 1-0. If Derby performed in the second half as they had in the first, we might well have won 1-0.

But a combination of both team's performances led to us losing.

Hope that clarifies.

Quite a similar game to the Wigan loss at home if you look at it.

Plan B is just some made up cliche that is used in football when teams decide to go for broke.

Like Alpha says, you have your philosophy of playing - whether it's percentage football, passing football, width football, narrow football etc..

You can change personnel and even systems during the match, that isn't a different plan. That's simply making changes and using your squad to whatever effect.

We don't need a 'plan B' because no such thing exists in football.

P!ssed me off when Louis van Gaal at the World Cup was labelled a 'genius' for supposedly having a 'Plan B'. Did he feck, when the Dutch were being utterly outclassed by Mexico he did what any manager would have done in the same situation... Stuck Huntelaar on for a defensive player and went route one for the last 10 minutes.

That isn't a 'Plan B'. That's just throwing the kitchen sink, every losing team does it whether it's a striker off the bench or a CB going up late on.

Archived