What happens next to the U21's and Youth Team?

I for one applaud the great job being done by all at the IPRO. What does concern me though is that none of our perceived-as-talented players are getting a look in. Calero is out of the picture, Bennett nowhere to be seen and the likes of Hanson, Lowe and Lelan highly unlikely to ever get a sniff. Maybe loan them out is one way to get them experience but i was v disappointed that the Southport game wasnt used to try one or two of them out.

Thoughts??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we've moved up a level, so the amount of opportunities for u21 squad to get first team games is bound to be more limited. Seems to me that we are looking to get a better standard of quality in the youth teams, so hopefully after a couple of seasons this will bear fruit and start to help us, and at the level of quality we are now performing at.

I agree, Steve knows what he is doing but I do share the same concern that progress of youth players to the first team is quite slim.

Not just at DCFC but at every club in the UK besides Southampton probably.

Yes, we have blooded through Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick recently, but who has forced their way into the 18 in the last 18 months?

An issue, nationally, not just locally.

If you could guarantee that whichever young player was going to come in and play with a fearless mentality and be technically and physically adept, then I'm all for it (see Santos and Calero vs Charlton, C1 Cup round 2)

However, even my example is flawed as we were well on top at the time, and you argue it was the experience of Martin that got the chance for Calero to grab winner. They'll get a chance, when they're ready. And if not, I hope it's because we have followed the likes of Swansea/Soton and are busy upgrading our squad for a successive top 10 finish in the Prem

I for one applaud the great job being done by all at the IPRO. What does concern me though is that none of our perceived-as-talented players are getting a look in. Calero is out of the picture, Bennett nowhere to be seen and the likes of Hanson, Lowe and Lelan highly unlikely to ever get a sniff. Maybe loan them out is one way to get them experience but i was v disappointed that the Southport game wasnt used to try one or two of them out.

Thoughts??

When the staff think that they are good enough (and the evidence has to be produced in training and in the U18/U21 games, behind-closed-doors friendlies etc), then they will be introduced.

Archived