Best Moments in Football

Dale The Ram

So many lofty moments, but for me, this lowly offering had it all for me.

About a month ago, Buxton v Halesowen, losing 1-0, pulled back to 1-1, later stages of the game, a night-club bouncer in close attendance, winning goal.

I was there when it happened, and it looked better 'in the flesh' than on the clip.

Some will say it was lucky, but when you've already scored 249, there must be a degree of skill there, somewhere.

http://bfctv.net/mark-reeds-250th-goal/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Utch I remember that last day at the BBG all too vividly - the end of one phase of my life and the beginning of another.

In common with MonkeyTennis, the memory of Trevor Christie's penalty jostles for attention amidst my synapses too, but one moment for me stands alone as the greatest football memory of my life - and I wasn't even at a game.

8 May 1972 - the Centenary FA Cup final had been played just 2 days before, with Allan Clarke's strike having given The Dirties the cup. Derby's season had been over a week - our final game had ended in a 1-0 win over Liverpool, and I can still hear the crowd fall silent for a split second as McGovern's shot flew past Lawrence's outstretched fingers before a roar of triumph that will also live with me until the day I die.

There was no live television coverage of football in those days apart from the FA Cup Final and the odd England International. Yet there were two matches being played that night which ranked amongst the most important of the season - and certainly the most important in the history of Derby County. There wasn't even live commentary on the radio - just snippets from the BBC journalists present at Highbury, where Arsenal hosted Liverpool, and at Molyneux where Wolves were playing a probably shattered Leeds United side.

Liverpool needed to win, Leeds only to draw to move ahead of Derby - it was the final day of reckoning. Nothing had happened of any significance during the first half in London - Arsenal were 'comfortable' according to the commentator - but Leeds were battering Wolves. Another trip over to Wolverhampton - a goal. They replayed the commentary - a corner to Leeds - Charlton rises, meets it with his head but the ball hits the bar. Wolves break - and win a corner. The ball into the box finds Munro, who lashes it into the net.

Half time. If the scores stay like this

Like Utch I remember that last day at the BBG all too vividly - the end of one phase of my life and the beginning of another.

In common with MonkeyTennis, the memory of Trevor Christie's penalty jostles for attention amidst my synapses too, but one moment for me stands alone as the greatest football memory of my life - and I wasn't even at a game.

8 May 1972 - the Centenary FA Cup final had been played just 2 days before, with Allan Clarke's strike having given The Dirties the cup. Derby's season had been over a week - our final game had ended in a 1-0 win over Liverpool, and I can still hear the crowd fall silent for a split second as McGovern's shot flew past Lawrence's outstretched fingers before a roar of triumph that will also live with me until the day I die.

There was no live television coverage of football in those days apart from the FA Cup Final and the odd England International. Yet there were two matches being played that night which ranked amongst the most important of the season - and certainly the most important in the history of Derby County. There wasn't even live commentary on the radio - just snippets from the BBC journalists present at Highbury, where Arsenal hosted Liverpool, and at Molyneux where Wolves were playing a probably shattered Leeds United side.

Liverpool needed to win, Leeds only to draw to move ahead of Derby - it was the final day of reckoning. Nothing had happened of any significance during the first half in London - Arsenal were 'comfortable' according to the commentator - but Leeds were battering Wolves. Another trip over to Wolverhampton - a goal. They replayed the commentary - a corner to Leeds - Charlton rises, meets it with his head but the ball hits the bar. Wolves break - and win a corner. The ball into the box finds Munro, who lashes it into the net.

Half time. If the scores stay like this

Wow, what a post, probably the best I've ever read on here, being born Dec 75 seems utterly unbelievable we once scaled such heights, you lucky, lucky sausage!

Only 1 observation, you didn't stay in glued to the radio, were you a half fan in those days? ;-)

I was fat enough to be 2 fans.

Now, I'm fat enough to be 3.

Archived