grass roots kids footy

davenportram

Any tales of local kids football you want to share.

My lad is a keeper for Stanton Ilkeston U11.

So far this season played 5 won 5 goal difference +34. Obviously not all down to him but hes only conceded 4 goals and kept two clean sheets.

Really proud of the whole team. Passing, flowing football and defending as a team. (Most of them are derby fans so have a good example)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He's bloody **** gerrim off"

Ten minutes into an under 9s match.

I hear that at games. Thankfully the parents of my lads team dont. I think it comes from the coaches. Everyone is so calm and has a laugh on the side of the pitch.

Yet the teams with vocal parents generally have very vocal coaches, who appeal and shout and complain at the ref.

Only concede in one half of the match.

His concentration is getting better. He doesnt have much to do but he keeps his concentration and does his job when he needs to.

Wow you will be skint if you pay out on half clean sheets!

GK really must be the toughest position to play as a youngster, especially when in a good team when you only touch the ball a handful of times.

My best memory of grass roots footy - on the day of the Hillsborough disaster we represented Derby against a Man Utd representative team. We were 1-0 up when the mayor turned up and stopped the game to be introduced to everyone and the game had to be restarted.

We won 4-0 and then were whisked off to Old Trafford for a ground tour followed by the best seats in the house for the match.

Micklewhite and Goddard scored as we won 2-0.

What should have been one of the best days of my life was soon ruined as news of the Hillsborough disaster filtered through on the trip back to Derby.

Did a couple of cracking saves today, including one he tipped over the bar. I keep on at him to use his legs like springs, he must have listened cos he looked like Tigger.

Before that he spooned one though, he just stood gawping when that went in. His head went down for a bit but then he moved on.

Sad to hear via Twitter of an U16 girl passing away whilst playing today from a heart condition. It gives stuff perspective.

I'm not sure if our teams got a defibrilator or not, I guess you never know when you might need one. How much are they? I'm wondering about maybe trying to do some fundraising. But the club are already trying to raise money for facilities.

Int money a bitch?

Wow you will be skint if you pay out on half clean sheets!

GK really must be the toughest position to play as a youngster, especially when in a good team when you only touch the ball a handful of times.

My best memory of grass roots footy - on the day of the Hillsborough disaster we represented Derby against a Man Utd representative team. We were 1-0 up when the mayor turned up and stopped the game to be introduced to everyone and the game had to be restarted.

We won 4-0 and then were whisked off to Old Trafford for a ground tour followed by the best seats in the house for the match.

Micklewhite and Goddard scored as we won 2-0.

What should have been one of the best days of my life was soon ruined as news of the Hillsborough disaster filtered through on the trip back to Derby.

If it helps him keep his concentration and head up then its worth it.

Tip for concentration in young keepers:

Get them to talk all game, not only when ball is in their penalty area. If the full backs are going too far forward, tell them. You have an attacking corner, the keeper decides which centre half goes forward. Even when your side is attacking, you should be telling the person on the ball what options he/she has with regards the rest of the team.

Not only does it breed confidence in the keeper from the rest of the team, but means you cannot switch off for a second and gives you a greater appreciation of tactics and the flow of a match.

Tip for concentration in young keepers:

Get them to talk all game, not only when ball is in their penalty area. If the full backs are going too far forward, tell them. You have an attacking corner, the keeper decides which centre half goes forward. Even when your side is attacking, you should be telling the person on the ball what options he/she has with regards the rest of the team.

Not only does it breed confidence in the keeper from the rest of the team, but means you cannot switch off for a second and gives you a greater appreciation of tactics and the flow of a match.

Thanks Mick. I'll try and get him to do more of that. Not being the coach means there's only so much I can tell him to say.

Archived