grass roots kids footy

davenportram

He's learnt to communicate more with his team, especially for set pieces. He lets them know where he wants them. We tell him to watch Granty to see what he does.

He's doing really well though, he dove down to get the ball from an attackers feet today, that was a bit of a heart in my mouth moment but it showed us he's gaining even more confidence.

Ta for the advice Mick, we'll pass it on :-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I coached a team last year.We finished 0-9-1 with 4 total goals scored. :(

Who will be the first to make jokes that American's cant coach football. I will say JW.

9 draws but only 4 goals scored??

Must have had loads of 0-0's.

Most pub/sunday league games have a minimum of 10 goals over here.

My lad plays for Mickleover Jubilee Under 9s....

He's only 7 and eligible for Under 8 teams. Trains with Mickleover RBL under 8s...

How they haven't won a game this season is beyond me.

Cracking tackler and pretty decent, and that's taking aside the bias factor from me.

Also trains with Derby County community coaches on a Saturday morning at DW.

Cost me a while back. First time I promised him a pound a goal and fiver for a hattrick... Scored 4 in the game.

Also has Cruyff turned me legitimately too. And can do a rainbow flick... Cocky bug ger

Really miss the kids football, little Angry is 18 now and his older brother is 21.. So envy you lot getting out there on a Saturday or a Sunday morning.

Don't miss the parents to be honest, some good yes but the majority fookin awful. 

My eldest had a mate who could play a bit but his dad was a loon. Always shouting and causing trouble at games. Eventually got himself banned but then proceeded to climb a tree outside the park and shout from there. Funny at the time but sad really.

Little Angry played academy football since he was 8, so never had any issues with the parents really. Had some great days and memories travelling the country watching him trip over his feet.

Bring on the grand kids..  :(

On the whole, parents aren't bad. Can't remember our teams parents ever having problems but others aren't so good.

Coaches can be proper mardy gets too, it's not just the pushy mums and dads. Saw one yesdi, he had no business carrying off the way he did. I hope when he got home and sat down to eat his dinner, he realised what a tit he'd made himself look.

Tip for concentration in young keepers:

Get them to talk all game, not only when ball is in their penalty area. If the full backs are going too far forward, tell them. You have an attacking corner, the keeper decides which centre half goes forward. Even when your side is attacking, you should be telling the person on the ball what options he/she has with regards the rest of the team.

Not only does it breed confidence in the keeper from the rest of the team, but means you cannot switch off for a second and gives you a greater appreciation of tactics and the flow of a match.

Thought this was common knowledge. I will add that goalkeepers nowadays also need to be good footballers as well because you need to be comfortable with the ball at your feet

Archived