McClaren interview on Hughes

North_Stand_Ram

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/401899/Steve-McClaren-Derby-star-Will-Hughes

Steve McClaren tells Derby midfielder Will Hughes there's plenty more work to do

DERBY boss Steve McClaren has warned Will Hughes he still has plenty of work to do to become a star.

The England under-21 midfielder made his 100th appearance against Reading on Tuesday despite still being only 19.

His performances have brought England's top clubs to the iPro Stadium to watch him with Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal all monitoring his progress.

But McClaren is desperate to ensure all his potential does not go to waste.

"Will's 19 and looks about 11, " said McClaren. "For an 11-year-old to play 100 games is incredible.

"There is loads of development still for Will. He has a long way to go, we are trying to teach him the game and he is trying to learn.

"But he has so much ability he's taken that for granted.

"We're trying to make Will a Premier League player - whether it's here or elsewhere - and he has a lot to develop.

"But 100 games is remarkable for his age."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he's been slow to take on a more aggressive style? Thinking he's fine as he is?

Dunno, it is an odd comment.

Since the international break though... wow, just to see him using everything he's got in all areas of the pitch. Really trying to force the game instead of sitting and feeding everyone else.

I don't think he's THAT weak. He chooses to be sometimes. I'd say he's as tough as Bryson?

I was on the Hughes for DM bandwagon at the beginning of the season, thinking that his ability to tackle and move the ball quickly would lend itself to that position, however, unlike in other leagues, you really have to have a certain strength and dominance in the air to play DM in the championship. His blossoming in the last month or so has been wonderful. The way he knits together attacks, particularly on the right side in combination with Christie and Ward is a joy. And in regards to his toughness, I think he is stronger than he was, he will fill out a bit more, and he is cute in regards to when to take a tumble.

Hughes has been great the last few weeks.  His positioning has been great, and his link up play has been quite nice to see as well.  In regards to his strength, he does get out toughed on the ball sometimes, but no more than several other players I have seen play so far this year in the Championship.  His consistency is something that seems to be coming together, and I am confident he will continue to play at the level he is.

I already feel he is easily one of the the best players under 20 in the Championship, and as he continues to grow his prowess and stardom will only continue to flourish. 

I think McClaren is absolutely right. Hughes is so young that he will continue developing as a player for several years if he stays healthy and motivated and doesn't end on the bench of some super rich club, Sure he is good now and evertbody can see he is talented but if he settles for what he is now it would be a great loss to him, to Rams and to football.

McClaren is just trying to motivate the kid.

If this isn't a typing error it's hilarious.

Yup, it's a badly written article even for the Daily Star. 

Will's played very well in the last few games and if he keeps it up he will develop into one hell of a player.

Not bad for a diving, cheating, overrated, dirty, albino, thug. 

Archived