Formation

jimbobram

Does yesterday show that we don't have to play with the defensive midfielder ?

We went 2-0 down with Eustace on and as soon as we changed formation and put Best on we scored goals. We dominated the game which meant that Eustace wasn't really needed and that's what its like in alot of our games and it showed that we benefit from having that extra man attacking. Playing with Thorne is totally different as he can pick a pass and play people in but that's not Eustace's game he gets stuck in and tries to win the ball back. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does yesterday show that we don't have to play with the defensive midfielder ?

We went 2-0 down with Eustace on and as soon as we changed formation and put Best on we scored goals. We dominated the game which meant that Eustace wasn't really needed and that's what its like in alot of our games and it showed that we benefit from having that extra man attacking. Playing with Thorne is totally different as he can pick a pass and play people in but that's not Eustace's game he gets stuck in and tries to win the ball back.

100 percent correct

No.

We changed the formation, and got broke on repeatedly. We were chasing the game so it was ok because we had no choice. but we couldn't do that all game.

Thats because we had to go all out for goals at 2 down leaving us exposed on the break .

One Keogh challenge was fantastic

Using the DM is a good formation with the right personnel but 4-4-2 can work a treat for us I'm sure with Leon Best and Martin up top

Our main issue yesterday was speed of play. We dominated the first half but were too slow. When we were two down we picked up the pace and we were a different team. I dont think is is down to formation, we can still play quicker with a holding midfielder.

The main issue yesterday was not taking our chances in the first half, all good dominating but have to take the chances

We can't play 4-2-4 all game; to say it's leaves us short in midfield is an understatement. 

McClaren uses 4-2-4 when we aren't winning and we really want to press a team in the 2nd half to try and win. If we play this from the start then teams will just wait and hit us on the counter attack and we'll concede a lot more goals.

4-2-4 has been very effective as an impact measure, used when we're not winning but to play it from the start would be bordering on suicidal.

4-4-2 is dying. It suits teams like Burnley, Leicester (last season), Forest and Blackburn because at a lower level, you can still do well if lacking in quality - so long as you're well organised, which all of these teams are. But our style of play at 4-3-3 is a) far more attractive to watch and b) will stand us in good stead in the Premier League, where the quality is higher and good organisation does not automatically equal success.

4-4-2 is dying. It suits teams like Burnley, Leicester (last season), Forest and Blackburn because at a lower level, you can still do well if lacking in quality - so long as you're well organised, which all of these teams are. But our style of play at 4-3-3 is a) far more attractive to watch and b) will stand us in good stead in the Premier League, where the quality is higher and good organisation does not automatically equal success.

Hodgson says the 3 have to be very good players in his video.

Thats why it worked so well when Thorne was in the 3

But you could argue we play 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 with a DM and Martin on his own up front.

http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/coaches/video/videoid=537341.html

Hodgson says the 3 have to be very good players in his video.

Thats why it worked so well when Thorne was in the 3

But you could argue we play 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 with a DM and Martin on his own up front.

http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/coaches/video/videoid=537341.html

I'd agree with him there - the three do have to be good, versatile players. That's why 4-3-3 worked so well for us. Our midfield was one of the strongest in the division and, as you say, Thorne was vital.

We are playing pretty close to a 4-1-4-1 at the moment, and I think it's working ok. What was clear to me yesterday was that Leon Best is not a great player. He's basically a better version of Sammon. You seem to be arguing that playing Best and Martin up front is a solution but I think you're wrong. I'd rather keep things as they are. If we do have to go with 2 up front, I'd prefer to see us play Martin alongside either Russell or Ward.

I'd agree with him there - the three do have to be good, versatile players. That's why 4-3-3 worked so well for us. Our midfield was one of the strongest in the division and, as you say, Thorne was vital.

We are playing pretty close to a 4-1-4-1 at the moment, and I think it's working ok. What was clear to me yesterday was that Leon Best is not a great player. He's basically a better version of Sammon. You seem to be arguing that playing Best and Martin up front is a solution but I think you're wrong. I'd rather keep things as they are. If we do have to go with 2 up front, I'd prefer to see us play Martin alongside either Russell or Ward.

Good post that I hadn't even thought about Russell or Ward supporting Martin to be honest.

But I thought Best did well when he came on .

Best also needs games.

Archived