MLS "Rebranding"

Jayweb95

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait so each club basically has the same badge?

Aside from that, I don't think the MLS will ever take off in the US while it uses the draft system, or while you have franchises. If Americans want to watch American sports, they'll watch American sports. Don't try and turn football into an American sport.

The Prem's popularity there says it all. And our friend americanram - the fact he's a massive football fan and doesn't really watch MLS shows you how pathetic their product is. 

Wait so each club basically has the same badge?

Aside from that, I don't think the MLS will ever take off in the US while it uses the draft system, or while you have franchises. If Americans want to watch American sports, they'll watch American sports. Don't try and turn football into an American sport.

The Prem's popularity there says it all. And our friend americanram - the fact he's a massive football fan and doesn't really watch MLS shows you how pathetic their product is.

Unfortunately I agree with you mate.The MLS is trying to imitate the NFL,NBA,and other major American sports organizations and it just not working.From designated players to a draft,football is not represented right.

I love my country and like how football has gained more popularity,but the MLS tbh is a pretty shoddy product right now and I hope it eventually gets more respect.

Unfortunately I agree with you mate.The MLS is trying to imitate the NFL,NBA,and other major American sports organizations and it just not working.From designated players to a draft,football is not represented right.

I love my country and like how football has gained more popularity,but the MLS tbh is a pretty shoddy product right now and I hope it eventually gets more respect.

I don't think it will until it markets itself as a proper league like the rest of the world. Soccer is a niche sport in the US, and if you have a niche, you exploit, exploit, exploit.

I used to follow this motor racing series in America - it's slogan was "American racing, European style". It knew it was only ever going to be a niche but it grew into a bloody big niche because it didn't try to enter a crowded market place by trying to over-Americanize its product.

If the MLS has a European style league system, transfer windows and all - and had proper clubs rather than franchises, and a standard league system - it can market itself as something completely different to other sports in America. Then it might seem fresh and exciting, and appeal to fans in a different way to the mainstream sports.

I don't think it will until it markets itself as a proper league like the rest of the world. Soccer is a niche sport in the US, and if you have a niche, you exploit, exploit, exploit.

I used to follow this motor racing series in America - it's slogan was "American racing, European style". It knew it was only ever going to be a niche but it grew into a bloody big niche because it didn't try to enter a crowded market place by trying to over-Americanize its product.

If the MLS has a European style league system, transfer windows and all - and had proper clubs rather than franchises, and a standard league system - it can market itself as something completely different to other sports in America. Then it might seem fresh and exciting, and appeal to fans in a different way to the mainstream sports.

Agreed.With how many new teams want to be in the league,MLS really needs a promotion/relegation system but financially that could really decimate many of the teams.

It is not surprising European football is more popular.While I think it is great Dempsey and other US stars decided to come home and play,I do sometimes wish they had stayed in Europe to face better competition and stay in form.

Being born in derby and then having the chance to live in America for 10 years you sorta see why, the American way is.. Send them to university for 4 years to play well basically... League 2 football. Then when they graduate or when they choose to go professional they get drafted.. Well by that time there already 18-22... Teams like Chelsea get raw talent when they're like 10-15, it's just completely different.

Archived