Pistorius verdict

RamNut

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least with OJ there was a possibility that it could have been done by somebody else. Just hang them high. Both.

It is better to let 10 guilty people go free than to punish a single innocent one. It is important that to as a first point to not punish the innocent.

He produced a ludicrous explanation.

Witnesses who heard a scream are discounted; the prosecution is said to have not proved the case, yet the defence story is accepted without question.

It's the job of the prosecution to prove that he is guilty, he is innocent until proven otherwise. That's how it is, that's how it should be.

I believe he genuinely thought it was an intruder behind the door, however stupid or illogical his thought process was.

Not sure how he's got away with common-law murder though. As others have said, how can you fire four bullets and not think someone might be killed. 

Dont understand how that alone isnt enough evidence

This is the hard part about it all. The defence seems to have played their cards well on this one, and painted a picture that he genuinely believed that it was an intruder. Personally, anyone who would gun down someone in a toilet like that has serious enough issues to give them a sentence in a metal institution and to give a life ban from any type of firearm, but ultimately the court are best placed to make decision on such. They got the most complete story on the matter.

Judge took all kinds of things into account - similar cases, no previous criminal record, his charity work, being an inspiration for non- able bodied people..allsorts of things.

She showed leniency and 'mercy' and took a 'balanced' view and refused to go down 'an eye for an eye' or the 'vengeance' route. But believed a non custodial sentence would not make the South African justice system look very good so rightfully went against house arrest.

But that girl is still dead. Is 5 years enough? I'd say no.

...and ultimately this is the point. He gets 10 months in gaol and a few years of home time, while a young women died at the hands of someone she would have trusted. The world is rarely "fair", it is almost never "simple", but that's our world.

It is better to let 10 guilty people go free than to punish a single innocent one. It is important that to as a first point to not punish the innocent.

It's the job of the prosecution to prove that he is guilty, he is innocent until proven otherwise. That's how it is, that's how it should be.

This is the hard part about it all. The defence seems to have played their cards well on this one, and painted a picture that he genuinely believed that it was an intruder. Personally, anyone who would gun down someone in a toilet like that has serious enough issues to give them a sentence in a metal institution and to give a life ban from any type of firearm, but ultimately the court are best placed to make decision on such. They got the most complete story on the matter.

...and ultimately this is the point. He gets 10 months in gaol and a few years of home time, while a young women died at the hands of someone she would have trusted. The world is rarely "fair", it is almost never "simple", but that's our world.

If he had been an ordinary working Joe he would have gotten thirty fooking years, everyone with half a brain knows that .

I believe the verdict was a fair one. Oscar used to be one of my idols growing up, I don't think it was premeditated murder but some things just didn't add up yet some things did. He is a legend - the first disabled athlete to compete in able bodied games, yet I fear that this event has tarnished his legacy greatly. :(  My heart goes out to the Pistorius and Steenkamp families, RIP

I believe the verdict was a fair one. Oscar used to be one of my idols growing up, I don't think it was premeditated murder but some things just didn't add up yet some things did. He is a legend - the first disabled athlete to compete in able bodied games, yet I fear that this event has tarnished his legacy greatly. :(  My heart goes out to the Pistorius and Steenkamp families, RIP

The whole case highlights problems in South Africa and not who Oscar is as an individual. Why would a man that is disabled, who lives in a wealthy environment feel the need to have such a high powered weapon in his home? Because he is an easy target. Gangs in South Africa target the wealthy, often. They don't just steal. They break in, they attack, they rape, they torture, they murder and then they steal. 

Archived