Teams courting bankruptcy

Brammie Steve

A football accountant was discussing club finances on the radio yesterday.

He spoke about a proposal to limit players wages to no more than 60% of the club's turnover.

He gave an example of one club who paid its players 230% of the money they had coming in!

In my view it is clubs like those that need fining, relegating and having points deducted or anything else the FA can dream up.

The club in question is

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English football has gone mad and it's filtering down from the Prem when you see prices being paid for McCormack and Assombalonga, and failed bids for Deeney. The chances of the Prem teams changing their ways and doing something as sensible as introducing salary caps or 'turnover locks' is so remote principally as virtually all the power sits presently with the players and their agents. But not too far away will be judgment day - perhaps when Sky or whoever realise that they are over paying for rights to an 'average' product, and then a great number of clubs will be looking inwards as the Carousel stops turning. Not sure how far that is away, but at this present time I take my hat off to our owners where from a financial perspective I think they are playing a very clever hand in securing/holding on to players for a comparatively low outgoing, but serving up a product that more of us want to go and watch live.

That wouldn't be included in the latest financial figures though.

Then perhaps you should have qualified your statement to make it clear that you were referring to historical figures. 

"The club

Funnily enough the play offs are to blame for this ridiculousness. If 3rd place was automatic how many teams would we be talking about being in the running? How many with the play offs... Well easily 15+ teams think they have a realistic opportunity of grabbing 6th place. Negotiations are about to begin again for the rights to show the PL. Expect it to go up again. The international market is huge and has enormous room to grow. Approx half of revenue comes from domestic rights. Yet there are 20X as many people watching the PL overseas. 

The way that bonuses have been restructured would cancel out the increase if we remained a championship club though? 

The bonus story was rubbish according to the club, so no.

Archived