Derby Supporters and Forest Supporters

AmericanRam

I cam across this great article by Luke Flood which talks about Derby and Forest and how modern supporters support either one.  As is the case with other Derby fans, I do not like Forest and the majority of the fans and think it is funny what is currently occurring with their management.  However, as discussed within this article I do think that some fans of both teams become immature at times when talking about the other(not saying any on here do that).  Their is even a banter group on Facebook about it.  I love supporting Derby but with that I think comes the responsibility to represent them in good intentions whenever I talk about them, or when I do visit the UK for work also. I for one agree with everything this guy says in his article. What does everyone else think? Do you think banter is fine as long as it is all in good intentions? Do not get me wrong, I do not really like Forest of course :angry:  but I do think that sometimes fans take it a little too seriously and just need to realize it is just a sport after all.

Here is the link to the article: http://the72.co.uk/13880/derby-forest-and-the-ugly-side-of-modern-football-support/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football rivalries are brilliant because when your own team is not doing well you still have something to look forward to and potentially have bragging rights.

As much as I dislike Forest I have a few friends who are Forest fans.

When I see ****** like that one on the other thread it doesn't make me hate them any more it just makes me realise that there are some prats out there who have no sense of perspective of what is important in life.

All clubs have idiot fans; not so much a reflection of the club but more a reflection of society as a whole and the demographics of that area the club is from (e.g Milwall fans being rougher than say Reading fans- different demographics of the areas the clubs are from).

I enjoy shouting at forest fans at the games, I enjoy screaming (generic) abuse at them...but mock the death of their chairman: never. Some lines you do not cross and those that do need to get some perspective.

At the end of the day there is no difference between derby and forest fans except some arbitrary line somewhere around the M1.

I guess some people seperate the two clubs into a "them and us" a bit too seriously. Makes it easier to hurl disgusting abuse and start fights if you view your rival fans as "sub-human"...I guess many many wars have shown that this psychology exists in the human psyche.

Human nature (for some) I guess!

I find it difficult to talk to forest fans as most can't see past mentioning a cup they one back in 1913 or whenever it was.

The couple I do have as friends are fine, and it's often good to talk to them in a level headed manner because it's interesting to talk about the differences between the two things. Mainly because our opinion on theirs are often very different on each other. But unfortunately, it's very rare

The forest fan with the abhorrent sign and the terrible songs sung by some fans about Dougherty are awful things that the people who did them should feel ashamed about.

That said there is nothing wrong with rivalry between clubs, the forest match is the most exciting match of the season and one of the few matches at Pride Park where the atmosphere comes alive.

Lets have a little perspective, we are always going to get fans that act irresponsibly but lets not start fekking clapping both sides for scoring FFS. 

Although drinking in the stands with non segregation would be a funny and awful experiment...lets do it :)

I have forest mates and also live and work in nottingham so 80% of them support forest and yes i always get the banter between them but alot of the time they take it way too seriously. If derby win its change subject but if forest win then i never hear the end of it.

The forest fan with the abhorrent sign and the terrible songs sung by some fans about Dougherty are awful things that the people who did them should feel ashamed about.

That said there is nothing wrong with rivalry between clubs, the forest match is the most exciting match of the season and one of the few matches at Pride Park where the atmosphere comes alive.

Lets have a little perspective, we are always going to get fans that act irresponsibly but lets not start fekking clapping both sides for scoring FFS. 

Although drinking in the stands with non segregation would be a funny and awful experiment...lets do it :)

For a glove puppet you do seem to stll be able to talk out of your arse.

The problem is if you live towards the east of our ground towards Nottingham you

come across an increasing number of florest fans.You as an American miss all this

and won't have the day to day contact.

Now as an old and mature bloke I don't want to get involved,however as someone

on here has said,there is a problem with their fans you don' get with other fans.Florest

fans think they are special.You cannot talk about anything,before"We won the European

cup twice" comes up.End of serious friendly discussion.Its like that all the time,I'm sure

this happens to others on here.

I find it rare to be good mates with a Forest fan, but generally I can get along with them and I don't wish them any ill will. That comes from my passion for the game. I love football and I love Derby. I look forward to Saturdays when Derby are playing because it's one of things that makes me happy in life.

Part of that is embracing the rivalry with Forest and enjoying the banter that comes with it. That's why I can't see myself having a friendly chat with anyone Forest or Leeds.

The important thing is realising where and when it has to stop, when it gets too far. The songs about Doughty were too far. Songs about the Philpott kids is too far.

As long as you can keep some perspective and realise when it's too much, you won't have a problem. Abusive/offensive chants and behaviour and hooliganism take it too far because then you get the situation that taxi driver had where he can't take his son to Derby vs Forest out of fear it'll be out of control. I can't imagine having a kid and taking them to every Derby game, and then NOT taking them to Derby v Forest. If there's one Derby game they have to see, it's that one.

Archived