John Percy - Derby

North_Stand_Ram

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/10414760/Derby-County-will-ask-12-million-for-Will-Hughes.html

John Percy is usually spot on with Derby

Derby County will ask £12 million for Will Hughes

In demand: Will Hughes (left) has been linked with Manchester United and Liverpool

Picture: PA

Twitter

Facebook

By John Percy1:22PM GMT 30 Oct 2013

Derby are determined to retain teenager Will Hughes for at least the remainder of this season and will attempt to resist offers from Premier League clubs

Derby County will demand a minimum £12 million for England U21 international Will Hughes in the January transfer window.

Hughes has emerged as one of the most sought-after young midfielders in the country and has been scouted frequently by Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal over the last 12 months.

RELATED ARTICLES

'Mario Balotelli is not leaving AC Milan', insists Rossoneri coach, amid reports of Chelsea bid in January

Nigel Clough to take over at Sheffield United

Liverpool defender Andre Wisdom a target for Steve McClaren at Derby County

But Derby are determined to retain the teenager for at least the remainder of this season and will attempt to resist offers from Premier League clubs.

Derby's American owners have refused to place an official price tag on the 18-year-old but it is understood chief executive Sam Rush will not entertain any offers below £12m.

Rush was previously chief operating officer with the highly respected Wasserman Media Group agency and is ready to take a combative approach to clubs showing interest in the New Year.

Wilfried Zaha was sold to Manchester United last January for an initial £10m, rising to £15m based on appearances and success, and Derby believe Hughes is worth a similar amount.

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, is a huge admirer and has dispatched chief scout Dave Fallows to regularly watch him this season.

Rodgers is not considering Hughes as a priority target for January, however, and will only make a move if rival clubs table a serious offer.

Derby manager Steve McClaren has admitted he will leave Pride Park at some stage in the future and said: "Our job is to make sure he makes it.

"Eventually he will be too good. What we need behind that is players coming through to replace him."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes could develop into a top England regular and lead the side to glory like we hoped Gazza would.

Or he could crash and burn a la Tonton Zola Moukoko.

£12m is an awful lot of money though. Is he worth it? Hell, no. COULD he become worth it? Hell yes. What a top club - and it would only be a top club because only a top club could afford the risk - might be prepared to do is gamble on the former and risk the latter. I think Sam Rush (or John Percy) is spot on regarding the asking price. That in itself would be a statement of intent.

Hughes could develop into a top England regular and lead the side to glory like we hoped Gazza would.

Or he could crash and burn a la Tonton Zola Moukoko.

£12m is an awful lot of money though. Is he worth it? Hell, no. COULD he become worth it? Hell yes. What a top club - and it would only be a top club because only a top club could afford the risk - might be prepared to do is gamble on the former and risk the latter. I think Sam Rush (or John Percy) is spot on regarding the asking price. That in itself would be a statement of intent.

did anyone actually see Moukoko play a game? Hughes has real-life quality, as witnessed by the masses in the real world. Moukoko was a wonderkid of Championship Manager who developed into a world class player many years into a fictional game. Hmmmm

did anyone actually see Moukoko play a game? Hughes has real-life quality, as witnessed by the masses in the real world. Moukoko was a wonderkid of Championship Manager who developed into a world class player many years into a fictional game. Hmmmm

CM01-02 isn't fictional.

It's my life.

I'd be doing backflips if we got that sort of money for him

I doubt anyone will force our hand in January to be honest, not for that kind of money! 

15 million for Baines, int it? 

12 million for Hughes..  :lol:  :ph34r:

Everton want more than 25 million for Baines, a left back who will be 29 by Jan, Will Hughes at 18 has arguably nearly 20 years barring injury, to offer a club.

If Will Hughes is as courted as the press make out, then hopefully their will be rivals for his signature , which hopefully raises his value. Will seems to prefer Liverpool being a self confessed fan so hopefully we can get more than 12 million for him.

Yep. Few years ago he played in Finland. Second ot third tier. I laughed out too loud after asking who's should I watch more carefully...

Played ok and almost scored. :mellow:

Yep. Few years ago he played in Finland. Second ot third tier. I laughed out too loud after asking who's should I watch more carefully...

Played ok and almost scored. :mellow:

He was instrumental in my great Ssausagehorpe side winning 3 successive Champions Leagues and the World Club Championship.

Oh sorry, I've wandered off into CM0102land again.

Why do most think sell Hughes I think it would be much better for us to keep him he is in contract till 2016 that another three years we might just get to the prem by then and he would be our star player no need to sell we have a v good young side that will be in play off this season with Hughes skill

Archived