Rams legend Jim Bullions dies

Ovis aries

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

My dads says the team of 1946 was the best Rams team ever.

Sadly there's  not many people alive who could disagree with him.

My dads says the team of 1946 was the best Rams team ever.

Sadly there's  not many people alive who could disagree with him.

Your dad is not wrong PP2, I was fortunate enough to watch them in 1945/46 and that team convinced me, if I needed convincing, :rolleyes: that Derby County was the only team for me, Leon Leuty was the best centre half that ever played for us [even better than McFarland, Wright and Stimac], Jack Stamps was the bravest player I have ever seen, Peter Doherty and Raich Carter were superb and Dally Duncan was a Wizard Winger and everything I wanted to be as a 9 year old.   Jack Nicholas and Jack Howe were defensive rocks and I well remember that if Jack Nicholas was being troubled by opponents they would end up out of touch or the ball would be belted over the stand into Shaftesbury Crescent.

Wonderful memories of very happy days, Jim Bullions, Tim Ward, Jack Parr, Sammy Crooks, Frank Boulton, Angus Morrison, Chick Musson and not forgetting the great bloke that is Reg Harrison.

Jim Bullions traveled to Bolton with myself and a friend in 1998/9 to watch the RAMS  at the Reebok.He kept us entertained during the trip with stories of his playing days.

Like the time when he walked into an office at the Baseball ground only to see the manager and secretary emptying cash from a safe into a bag.On being discovered they asked Jim if he wanted to join them on the visit to Nottingham races they had planned.

He also told us about his time at Shrewsbury how he stayed in a tent near the river and jogged to the ground for training.

I also remember Jim outside the Baseball ground before home games chatting to Tommy Powell.Jim always had time for a chat and was always pleased to sign his autograph a very pleasant ,likeable man. 

Condolences to his family

Jim Bullions traveled to Bolton with myself and a friend in 1998/9 to watch the RAMS  at the Reebok.He kept us entertained during the trip with stories of his playing days.

Like the time when he walked into an office at the Baseball ground only to see the manager and secretary emptying cash from a safe into a bag.On being discovered they asked Jim if he wanted to join them on the visit to Nottingham races they had planned.

He also told us about his time at Shrewsbury how he stayed in a tent near the river and jogged to the ground for training.

I also remember Jim outside the Baseball ground before home games chatting to Tommy Powell.Jim always had time for a chat and was always pleased to sign his autograph a very pleasant ,likeable man. 

Condolences to his family

What did Jim do?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok So he declined the offer (is that better)

Mate I wasn't referring to you! 

I spoke to Jimmy about six or seven years back as part of something I was writing, he was a really nice bloke, obviously still really proud of his achievements and of being a Ram.

I don't suppose you should chuckle on a thread like this, but I couldn't work out whether this comment was meant to be ironic or you just hadn't thought it through...

Oh yeah, just realised that that doesn't make sense! Well, you know what I meant!

Archived