• Created
  • Last Reply

anything happening in the world?

Nothing.

How can you be bored in maths?

Prove eiπ + 1 = 0.

That should be a pleasure in itself.

I'll get you started:

ex = 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3! + x4/4! + x5/5! + . . . . . 

doing percentages and ****

Ah,right.

I'm actually trying to work out how the website changed "?" to that nonsense.

Anyway, stick at it and you'll progress to the interesting stuff - where pure mathematics becomes a thing of beauty.

Ah,right.

I'm actually trying to work out how the website changed "?" to that nonsense.

Anyway, stick at it and you'll progress to the interesting stuff - where pure mathematics becomes a thing of beauty.

Full time gambler I'll be, buy derby in a couple of years!

Probably too boring for you but I've just discovered a truly marvelous proof of Fermat's Last Theorem which this posting box is too narrow to contain.

Is it less than 150 pages long?

Is it less than 150 pages long?

Well we'll never know, but would Fermat have said, "which this margin is too narrow to contain", if it was 150 pages long? Personally I don't think so, I would have thought two pages max.

I mean, would you say, "I have an elephant which this carrier bag is too narrow to contain"?

Only an idiot would consider putting an elephant in a carrier bag and Fermat wasn't an idiot..

While I don't wish to doubt the Queen's knowledge of mathematics, I think she got it wrong.

She shouldn't have knighted Andrew Wiles, I'd have told him to come back when he'd got a two page version.

Well we'll never know, but would Fermat have said, "which this margin is too narrow to contain", if it was 150 pages long? Personally I don't think so, I would have thought two pages max.

I mean, would you say, "I have an elephant which this carrier bag is too narrow to contain"?

Only an idiot would consider putting an elephant in a carrier bag and Fermat wasn't an idiot..

While I don't wish to doubt the Queen's knowledge of mathematics, I think she got it wrong.

She shouldn't have knighted Andrew Wiles, I'd have told him to come back when he'd got a two page version.

Of course, Fermat just MIGHT have had a sense of humour.

On the other hand, didn't Dr Who type it in just a few seconds?

Archived