Norwich ,Fulham,Cardiff and Wolves will make it a tougher Championship campaign

Curtains

As ever its about who people sign.... including us.

How anyone can say emphatcally that this team or that will do this or that is beyond me with most clubs still looking to do lots of 'business' :huh:

Ask me in August....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we all know the Championship is ridiculously hard to predict, but the quality this year seems no better than last imo.

Of the newly relagated sides, I see Norwich being the better suited for an immediate challenge at the top - provided that an inexperienced manager doesnt hold them back too much - he does know the club inside out. They played some nice football in the Prem, just couldnt score enough at that level and got caught out by a horrendous run-in. They have a squad which understands what it takes at this level, and in Hooper, have a striker who should comfortably hit 20-25 goals (fitness permitting).

Fulham have become acclimatised to Prem conditions over the last 13 straight season (??). Have an ageing squad which will need to be trimmed down drastically and Championship level performers recruited from scratch and in bulk. They have a manager who has spent only a few months of his long career outside German football and has never experienced anything like a Championship season before now. They will take time to adapt.

Cardiff - Similar to Fulham in terms of manager - although vastly less experienced at any level let alone Championship. Cardiff got worse last year after Mackay left. Solsjkaer = top former player - questionable manager. 

The upside for Cardiff is that they do not have to totally rebuild (aside from selling a handful of expenses purchases last year - Caulker, Medel etc), and have a squad that has had recent success at this level. I see them inside the top 6 but not automatic.

Of the newly promoted sides, realistically you could only envisage Wolves being a threat near the top end, and as has already been said, although they walked league One, their squad does not yet look good enough to challenge straight away. I see them finishing top 10. 

Of the sides remaining in the league from last season, obviously we finished ahead of them all so have nothing to fear.

Wigan will be there or thereabouts again - good manager, strong squad. However the financial restrictions of failing to gain an automatic return to the Prem may start to bite. Top 6.

Reading were quite poor last year I thought. Scimming through some of their forums, many of their fans seemed quite relieved they failed to make the top six for fear of being embarrassed in the Play-Offs (of course I'm sure they would have taken it really). Their squad doesnt seem particulalrly strong and it would seem finances are beginning to take a toll. Between 10th - 6th.  

Of the remainder, I see Blackburn continuing their improvement from the second half of last season. They have goals in the team (Rhodes, Gestede) and look solid throughout.

Middlesborough improved under Karanka and become very well organised and hard to beat. If they can add goals they will be a threat.

All in all though, provided dramatic changes do not take place, I see no reason why an auto spot is not well within reach based both on last years performance and standard of opposition we are about to face.

Hopefully we sign Thorne, a good RB (Wisdom) and a good attacker as a minimum. If we do, then our squad is good enough to get automatic promotion. There's no point worrying about the other teams, just deal with what we can control.

For the record, I think all three relegated teams will be rubbish, especially Cardiff.

To me the most heartening thing is what is coming out from the players. Historically you would always get comments about x,y or z team being strong and us trying to challenge. This off season all I have heard from the players is- we fear no one, we are coming back determined, we want automatic promotion. With this mindset, I think it is all other clubs who should fear us!

Hit a nerve did I ?

I have no plans to take a hike in the near future and certainly not at your behest.

We have more reasons to be optimistic than we have had for quite a while there's a feelgood factor around the club yet you felt compelled to attempt to put a dampener on it.

I can't make my mind up whether you post stuff to get attention or you're just daft.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it. :)

screw you

Plans are plans all clubs have plans.

But relegated clubs have money.

I have an A level in deftness what's your claim to fame.

Same thread, different teams, every season.

About time we got promoted then ! It's been far too long.

I still maintain with the 4 loans going back it will be harder .

Probably our best chance for a while went down the tube at Wembley.

I disagree, if anything it's easier.

I think as long as we don't take a hit in quality, we'll be very, very well placed for promotion. However, if we lost Bryson and Hughes and didn't bring Thorne or Wisdom back, then we could very well find ourselves languishing towards mid-table again, so I guess it swings and roundabouts.

I can live without signing Thorne and Wisdom and still be optimistic if we can get players of the same quality.

However, I'd would be very pessimistic if we lost Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick even if we replaced DM and RB. 

Daft it is then. "http://www.retrojunkie.com/gif/facepalm" alt="facepalm">

Now, for the last time, pull yourself together.

Wembley was a nightmare how can I pull myself together.

It's still pulling at my heart strings.

We lost because of stupidness in defense.

Did you have to go back on the TUBE listening to Zamora constantly ringing in your ears

Maybe you did as your title suggests you don't even live in Derby.

B@@@@dy carp defense.

Hit a nerve did I ?

I have no plans to take a hike in the near future and certainly not at your behest.

We have more reasons to be optimistic than we have had for quite a while there's a feelgood factor around the club yet you felt compelled to attempt to put a dampener on it.

I can't make my mind up whether you post stuff to get attention or you're just daft.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.  :)

Nothing to make your mind up about, it isn't a case of either or.

About time we got promoted then ! It's been far too long.

I still maintain with the 4 loans going back it will be harder .

Probably our best chance for a while went down the tube at Wembley.

Don't get hung up about the loans.

Whitbread rarely featured.

Bamford had a good start and although his finishing was good at times, it was also wayward at times and not a good exchange for his lack of contribution to the team. If he thinks he is going to feature in Chelsea's first team he has got to be delusional.

Thorne I would like back, but he is 21, we can probably do as well with someone of experience it that position. Getting Thorne back will not make or break our season.

Wisdom is a decent right back but will not feature in Liverpool's first team unless they have a disastrous set of injuries. I know he wants to fight for his place at Liverpool which is commendable but he isn't good enough for that,

The long winded point I am making is that the four loans will either return or be replaced. Trust the Head Coach and his team, I am sure they know exactly what they are doing.

Bamford had a good start and although his finishing was good at times, it was also wayward at times and not a good exchange for his lack of contribution to the team. If he thinks he is going to feature in Chelsea's first team he has got to be delusional.

Thorne I would like back, but he is 21, we can probably do as well with someone of experience it that position. Getting Thorne back will not make or break our season.

Wisdom is a decent right back but will not feature in Liverpool's first team unless they have a disastrous set of injuries. I know he wants to fight for his place at Liverpool which is commendable but he isn't good enough for that,

The long winded point I am making is that the four loans will either return or be replaced. Trust the Head Coach and his team, I am sure they know exactly what they are doing.

I do trust the head coach but I'm not happy with our defense .

I'm afraid the head coach is slightly afraid of changing the defense because of fans reaction.

I can understand McClarens position .

How could he drop Buxton .

Although he had a great season I don't think him and Keogh are good enough week in week out as a CB partnership to get us promoted.

I do trust the head coach but I'm not happy with our defense .

I'm afraid the head coach is slightly afraid of changing the defense because of fans reaction.

I can understand McClarens position .

How could he drop Buxton .

Although he had a great season I don't think him and Keogh are good enough week in week out as a CB partnership to get us promoted.

Archived