Will Hughes = Jack Wilshere

After watching England pitifully draw to Ecuador I couldn't help but see the similarities in Jack Wilsheres game to Hughes.Both run into trouble a lot and then ask for stupid free kicks (wilshere more so). IMO they both also have similar attributes.

So my question today is, why is Jack in the England team but Will isn't?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching England pitifully draw to Ecuador I couldn't help but see the similarities in Jack Wilsheres game to Hughes.Both run into trouble a lot and then ask for stupid free kicks (wilshere more so). IMO they both also have similar attributes.

because he is a better more experienced premier league player and will is a young player who has just started his career. He will be an England player eventually. Two or three years in my opinion

I would say that they are the same type of player too, Wilshire got a bit more pace though. But very similar styles. Wilshire much better all round player though.... Not to say Hughes will be in a couple of years

They are completely different players... Wilshere's game is more defensive, he prefers to sit in the holding midfield role where he can dictate the play and put in crunching tackles when on the defensive. 

Hughes on the other hand, is best when going forward. His vision and passing ability are his main assets and he acts as a pivot for the team by bringing in other players and quickly switching from defence to attack. He also has a bit of flair and his dribbling and ball control are outstanding at times. Hughes barely loses the ball so I don't know where you've got the idea of 'running into trouble' from. Will's first instinct is usually to pass; when he dribbles it is to create space for other players to utilise.

To summarise, the only similarity is that they're both English midfielders.

They are completely different players... Wilshere's game is more defensive, he prefers to sit in the holding midfield role where he can dictate the play and put in crunching tackles when on the defensive. 

Hughes on the other hand, is best when going forward. His vision and passing ability are his main assets and he acts as a pivot for the team by bringing in other players and quickly switching from defence to attack. He also has a bit of flair and his dribbling and ball control are outstanding at times. Hughes barely loses the ball so I don't know where you've got the idea of 'running into trouble' from. Will's first instinct is usually to pass; when he dribbles it is to create space for other players to utilise.

they are similar in some ways, both technically good with left foot, great first touch and go down too easy

they are similar in some ways, both technically good with left foot, great first touch and go down too easy

Wilshere goes down more easily than Hughes. I think Hughes tries to stay on his feet wherever possible but Wilshere goes down under any sort of contact.

I agree with everything else though      :)

because he is a better more experienced premier league player and will is a young player who has just started his career. He will be an England player eventually. Two or three years in my opinion

Sod experience doesn't help when hes always injured.

He does and then falls over due to his lack of strength (although loads better than last year). Also annoys me when he then asks for a free kick. However i still think he will be a world class player if he improves this area of his game

I know a lot of Derby fans are deluded about how good our own players are but seriously are we actually having a thread on whether Will Hughes should be in the England team ahead of Wilshere.

I'm not saying he should be, i'm just questioning Wilsheres place in the side. Henderson, Gerrard and even Huddlestone are more effective in that DM role.

I'm not saying he should be, i'm just questioning Wilsheres place in the side. Henderson, Gerrard and even Huddlestone are more effective in that DM role.

But none of those players are Derby players and this thread is in rams talk. 

Also Wilshire doesn't play DM and isn't guaranteed a place in the side, I agree Gerrard should and probable will play CDM and then two CM's in front of him. Then you have a choice of Henderson, Barkley, Lampard, Ox, Wilshire, Lallana.

Sod experience doesn't help when hes always injured.

He does and then falls over due to his lack of strength (although loads better than last year). Also annoys me when he then asks for a free kick. However i still think he will be a world class player if he improves this area of his game

He only loses the ball when he dribbles. It's very rare that he loses the ball and doesn't win a free kick. It's frustrating when it does happen though I agree

This is an article written by a kid. 

Only explanation for slamming our most technically gifted international player for going down too easily when I bet he applauds Chris Martin winning free kick after free kick. Wilshere has been out injured for a big chunk of the end of the season and so is finding his feet (sat in front of the most shakey makeshift defence available against Equador).  

Also Hughes is another who will have his ankles clipped a few times before he eventually goes down as oppose to going down easily.

Always liked Wilshere. One of the few England internationals that is worth a bit of the arse kissing that goes on.

His career is annoying. He builds up some momentum, gets up to speed and then he's injured again.

I don't get Derby fans with Hughes.

"I'd take £2m"

"I'd take £5m"

"I'd cash in on him. We don't need him. Sell him for £10m" (we must be good if we don't want a 19yr old £10m player)

Yet other teams mention him (like WBA) and suddenly he's only going to the top teams.

As far as I can tell, he's not needed here and should move to Liverpool!!

The expectations on Hughes are a bit unfair. He made his name and earned his place by doing what he still does and now it seems some people expect him to be even more than that.

I remember our attempts at possession before Hughes. Panic, pass, panic, pass, lose the ball, take 10 minutes to get it again before more panic passing. He solved all that. He was an inspiration. A bright spark in a bog standard side in a hoofball league. At 17/18 at the time?

Seems like he'll be like most English players. Overhyped, can't live up to crazy expectations and then panned for it.

I hope he can be like Scholes. Quiet, does what he does, keeps his head down. One of the best moves Scholes did was step away from the England circus. Then folks had to realise he was irreplaceable. Such a great player and he managed himself really well. Model professional.

Wilshere and Hughes are incredibly similar in every way.

But whereas Wilshere will be a key player for England for many years to come. Hughes has yet to earn that right, and it won't happen while he is at Derby. 

Also, Wilshere is a lot better than Hughes. 

:lol:

Wilshere and Hughes are incredibly similar in every way.

But whereas Wilshere will be a key player for England for many years to come. Hughes has yet to earn that right, and it won't happen while he is at Derby.

Also, Wilshere is a lot better than Hughes.

:lol:

That I agree with!

Think Wilshire is a better player, with more experience obviously. Very similiar players where they aren't quite a Gerrard/Thorne but also not quite a Barkley/Bryson.

Think Hughes is the better all-round passer, with good runes but could improve on trying this abit more. Needs more strength for this though. 

And Wilshire is better at dribbling, never seen someone who can shift their weight and feet together so well. It's no wonder he always goes down because he dances around them rather than making them think he's going the other way like an old style winger. 

And they both claim free kicks too often due to lack of strength, And I don't mind martin going down in the opposition half from a long ball trying to win a free kick because it would cause good progression up the pitch, and if it doesn't work they are on the back foot anyway. The problem when Hughes loses it when claiming for a free kick it is normally in our half or close enough and gives them cheap possession. 

Archived