Kelle Roos - next season's No 2?

NMtherams

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

He's a number 2?

Surely he ain't that bad or we wouldn't have signed him?

No thats Kelly Poos

Goalkeeping Coach Eric Steele has welcomed the signing of Jonathan Mitchell and admits he is excited to see ‘young blood’ push Lee Grant for the Rams’ number one spot in the forthcoming 2014/15 campaign.

Mitchell completed his move to the Rams on Wednesday afternoon, penning a one-year deal with the Club, with his deal at Premier League side Newcastle United set to expire on June 30.

The Hartlepool-born shot-stopper will link up with the rest of the goalkeeping union, Grant, Kelle Roose, Mats Morch and Ross Etheridge at the end of the month when they return for pre-season training.

With last season’s back-up goalkeeper Adam Legzdins not offered new terms following the expiration of his current deal, Steele says that he expects both Dutchman Roos and new signing Mitchell to provide healthy competition as understudies for number one, Lee Grant.

Steele told dcfc.co.uk:“We brought Kelle Roos in from Nuneaton Town in January and he has learnt, had a taste of the first-team environment, played his Under-21 development games and has been a very good addition. 

“We have seen [Mats] Morch and [Ross] Etheridge develop too. They have gone out and played at Gresley and Ilkeston and have come back with match experience - and they will be all the better for that.

“Jonathan is going to be a good addition to the goalkeeping department. He is 19 years-old and completed his first year as a professional last season.

“I spoke to some good friends of mine, Peter Beardsley, who runs their Under-21s and Chris Terpcou (Newcastle Academy Goalkeeping Coach) - and they only had good things to say about him.

“So we got him down, had him in for a few days and we have liked what we have seen from him. We have offered him a contract, which he has accepted, and he will be joining us in pre-season as part of the new goalkeeping set-up.

“Grant has got young blood behind him now. Kelle has stepped up, he is 21 and he is hungry. I first saw him when he was 17 so I have known about him for four years. 

“We have brought a raw talent in and in three or four months he has become a part of the set-up. Now he has got to go on to the next stage, he has got to take that role on, and he has got to challenge and threaten Lee Grant.

“If he doesn’t do it, then we have got Jonathan Mitchell underneath him and then we have got Ross Etheridge and Mats Morch too.”

Meanwhile, having worked with former Birmingham City goalkeeper Legzdins since arriving at the Club with Steve McClaren and Paul Simpson back in October, Steele was eager to praise the professionalism and attitude of the ‘keeper, and feels the shot-stopper has reached a point in his career where he needs guaranteed first-team football.

He added: “Adam has got to go and play. His attitude and his professionalism have been terrific, but he is at the stage of his career where he has got to go and play. 

“We have got to look at it from Derby County’s point of view but also Adam Legzdins’ point of view too. 

“But to do that, we have had to make sure that the rest of the goalkeeping department is in place.

“Nobody will have more pleasure than me when I turn on the Football League Show and I see him producing saves and winning games, because he deserves to.

“We wish him well and I think somebody is going to get a very good goalkeeper.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/steele-on-goalkeeping-department-1611777.aspx#rFElfVpIBc5QIcDt.99

Archived