Watford comparisons

Duracell

Keep hearing stuff about us "doing a Watford".

Okay, we all know that loan signings have played a big part this season, but if anyone thinks there's any parallels between this brilliant bunch of lads and Udinese and Granada's combined reserves then I wonder if you really understand what's so good about this team.

Watford may have had an excellent side which resulted in them finishing 3rd and being unlucky not to be promoted, but none of them were anywhere near as bothered as we were yesterday. I still don't think Watford froze in the play-off final last year, I think Palace just wanted it more.

I'm not guaranteeing us automatic promotion next season or saying we won't get hammered on the opening day of the season as a hangover, but we will not be a mid table team next season and we will challenge again.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, look at it this way, you could do a Leicester.

Last season we were knocked out by a last minute play off goal (albeit semi's) and it only made us stronger this season.

Everyone knows you were hard done by yesterday but I'm sure you'll bounce back. We made no additions and look at us now. Quite likely if you ask me.

Hey, look at it this way, you could do a Leicester.

Last season we were knocked out by a last minute play off goal (albeit semi's) and it only made us stronger this season.

Everyone knows you were hard done by yesterday but I'm sure you'll bounce back. We made no additions and look at us now. Quite likely if you ask me.

There we go! We're much more Leicester than Watford.

We'll probably lose more of our key players than you did but still, we'll keep a lot of decent players who won't forget how to play football over the summer.

Lots of teams do suffer hangovers from the play-offs, but that's usually because they've gambled on promotion and have to suffer the fall-out. We'll be okay.

I don't think there's anything we can learn from comparing our situation with Watford's. Their team was pretty much all loanees, we've just got 2 very influential loanees in our starting XI and a very good loan striker. Thorne will undoubtedly be the biggest loss but even he only played in the last 15 games. Wisdom is a good player but IMO replaceable.

I'm entirely confident we won't lost the momentum we've built up from this season. Our young lads have another season under their belt & financially wise we should be in a good place what with the increased gates this season, the playoff final monies & increased season ticket sales for 14/15.

My main worry is the expectation of the fans. We may start slowly - it oftens happens to losers of playoff finals. What absolutely MUST NOT happen is for folk to expect us to start the season like a train & then start moaning & getting at Steve Mc if we're only midtable by October/November. Its a long old season - we've got most of the squad & a very capable manager. Good things come to those who wait.

Udinese  Watford will struggle as long as they have owners running their as they do. Their system will not work, playing with loanees /testing bed for the Italian league. Your comparisson with Leic is uncanny. I would say you have a better manager (we benefited from Mac early doors and without him would never have been anywhere near the playoffs), a young squad based around British players.

Very much hope you walk the division (I don tsee any teams that particualrly stand out bar maybe Wigan, perhaps bournemouth with the excellent Ernie Howe - ironic his team got promoted with Dyche at the helm). Mac will make sure your side learn from this and you should come out stronger for it

Have to take the rough with the smooth mate - it's a c**t of a place to lose at, but what a way to win.

I guess you're right :) .

But if we're at Wembley this time next year, we will have probably not improved on this season. It took a lot of points to get promoted this year but I don't see it being the same in 2014/15. We should be aiming for automatics, even winning the league. That's another reason I hope we're not at Wembley next season.

I guess you're right :) .

But if we're at Wembley this time next year, we will have probably not improved on this season. It took a lot of points to get promoted this year but I don't see it being the same in 2014/15. We should be aiming for automatics, even winning the league. That's another reason I hope we're not at Wembley next season.

Agree - top two next season should definitely be the aim. 

If we end up in the playoffs again though, and get through to the final, I'll be booking my tickets at the earliest opportunity. :)

Agree - top two next season should definitely be the aim. 

If we end up in the playoffs again though, and get through to the final, I'll be booking my tickets at the earliest opportunity. :)

Me too. Despite the result, yesterday was an incredible atmosphere... and I would be so disappointed to miss a play-off final victory for any reason. I'd be even more nervous though... 

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to be like us:

Don't lose your top striker (Vydra) and midfielder (Abdi - injury)

Become complacent  like Zola and some players did.

Buy badly (no loans this time but the like of McGugan were average at best)

I doubt any of the above will happen to you guys - I'd be surprised to see you guys not be in the top 6 again...or even be a Leicester.

Actually a lot of the loan players from last season signed on but just simply didn't perform - mainly due to thinking it would be easy and not being prepared well enough.

At the very worst, we will be back at Wembley this time next year imo.

Dammit, that's another 12 hours of flying and $2,000 out of pocket. I'm hoping for automatic... although I'd probably make the same investment to celebrate at the clinching match!

"Doing a Watford" used to be one of Tom Glick's catch-phrases a couple of years back, as he used the example of that club as an aspirational level for Derby on numerous occasions.

I'm afraid much of Glick-speak about Derby's 'strategy' used to stick in my craw as contrived double-talk intended to deflect the Rams' lack of achievement during his tenure.

Severe house-keeping was implemented but he had to try and give the football some momentum. He got to know my feelings about comparisons with Watford...

At the iPro Forum last week, a fan queried whether we'd 'do a Watford' and Sam & JV were refreshingly surprised at the notion and rejected it with a string of positives that demonstrated the differences between the Hornets' predicament and their response to Wembley defeat, and Derby's situation.

I think we can sustain the momentum - keep the faith!

Archived