What constitutes a 'young' squad?

It would seem there is a general feeling that Derby County have a 'young' squad at the minute... and I was wondering... is this true and what actually constitutes a 'young squad'?

Looking at the starting eleven, plus the three substitutes that made it onto the pitch versus Brighton & HA in the second leg of the play-off semi-final, the average age of the team was 25.5 years; or 26.7 years if we only consider those players who are actually contracted to the club (i.e. omit Andre Wisdom, George Thorne and Patrick Bamford from the calculation).

Is an average age of over 26 years a 'young' squad? I guess the answer may be subjective but wondered what others thought? If a player made his debut at 18, and had a professional career until the age of 34, by the time he is 26 he is already halfway through his career. Is it just that the team gives supporters the impression that they are a young squad by the energy shown or by their relative anonymity (with the exception of our England U21 contingent) amongst football fans outside of Derby?

However, to put this into perspective, the average age of the Queens Park Rangers starting eleven plus three substitutes was over 29 years, with six outfield players being over 30. Does this give us cause for optimism if Derby are able to play their high-energy and quick passing game I wonder?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is that the key players are fairly young. Martin, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne etc... All the players that make us tick are young players. And of course you look at Buxton, Keogh and Grant, who are a bit older but are in their physical prime as defenders and goalkeepers usually do find their best years in late 20's early 30s. Mids and Forwards find their best years in their early 20's.

Averages don't tell you the full story. If you had a player aged 27 in your team, you'd say that player is likely in their best years. At 27 his legs haven't gone, but he has a fair amount of experience which serves him well. Craig Bryson is 27, and he's an example of that. Are you telling me a team of Craig Brysons wouldn't be a good position to be in?

I wasn't suggesting it was a good thing or a bad thing... just raising the question. I only raised the point of omitting the loan players as these non-contracted players are all youngsters and therefore will naturally bring the average down... plus it is debatable whether they will be with the club next season.

I share your view that a blend of experience and youth is healthy, I just merely raised the question whether the tag of 'young squad' was merited? For instance, the Manchester United team, which was referenced famously by Alan Hansen post a 1-3 defeat at Aston Villa in 1995, actually had five players over 29 years and an average age of under 25 years in that now infamous match.

I'm just curious what people expect to see when teams are referenced as being young. I was just surprised to discover the likes of Dawkins, Bryson, Ward, Buxton and Keogh all over 26. For some reason I expected them to be younger.

Look, it's all about context. We have key players who are quite young, and you have to consider what constitutes young for a squad. If you consider what people would call a player's prime age, think about a starting XI:

GK: 32

DR: 27

DL: 27

DC: 29

DM: 30

MC: 27

RW: 26

LW: 26

ST: 27

Average: ~28

That's all very subjective, but about 28 years old would be a fairly normal average age for a squad. It all is relative though, particularly with some players playing on until they're pushing 40.

Also, what is with all the posts recently out of the default font?

Look, it's all about context. We have key players who are quite young, and you have to consider what constitutes young for a squad. If you consider what people would call a player's prime age, think about a starting XI:

GK: 32

DR: 27

DL: 27

DM: 30

RW: 26

LW: 26

ST: 27

Average: ~28

That's all very subjective, but about 28 years old would be a fairly normal average age for a squad. It all is relative though, particularly with some players playing on until they're pushing 40.

Also, what is with all the posts recently out of the default font?

MY eyes are bleeding  :wacko:

Archived