Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have been very good fun and very interesting to read GetMeRangers fair play to you but that wasn't a load of clichés these lads mean it

If you were up here you would get a feel for what is going on. We are building up a hell of a head of steam. Be afraid, be very afraid  

@Gerry Daly. I had hoped you were getting the impression that I and a fair few Rs fans are not holding much hope for tomorrow (Derby 1-0 > HT > 2-0 > 2-1 >FT, IMO)

It was really a comment on how all players use the same cliches to express their passion..... Triffic 'arry is fannnntastic at them. So good, it is hard to tell one press conference from another

Personally, I think it would have made a better build up, getting players to comment over a background of your seasons progression, form the odd start of cant win home and win away through Clough's sacking (touched on there, but barely) and the surge in performance and results.  I read somewhere that one of the first things Mac did was show a video of you lot celebrating a goal where you didnt do it as a team. Fail to do so again and video would be played back in front of the team

To the wider audience, a reminder of you being 1-4 down... and MAc stepping into the dressing room. A pivotal point? Ask most Rs and they will say that the 2-2 at yours in the promo season was pivotal (only game I have left early... 90 mins... we were never going to score if we played all night...DOH!). 

I appreciate the protection of younger players from the limelight, but shouldnt there have been a bit more on Will Hughes, the lad everyone is talking about? 

I still dont know a lot about Derby, except that they are fast and very good footballing side which worries me. You're bang on form and I wont begrudge you getting promotion over us. I dont think we have looked together enough as a team over the season. 

There is long LondonCallin... sort club broadcast. The latest one has Ale Faurlin as guest. Great player, sadly twice out with knee cruciate stuff two seasons in a row. It would bore the pants off you, and most others, yet there was a good insight to the change in unity of our dressing room through the season

It is hardly a secret of the fractured nature of our club... Mac talks of his time there and players not wanting to play for the club, missing pre-season etc. Many of us felt Mac had a big part to play in our great start and not just from the coaching. Ale talks of how, after Jan the spirit was waning in our dressing room, the realisation we might not make autos (this centered around losing several of the 1st team very quickly to injury...Austin, Simpson, Philips, etc). He then talks of the players regrouping and turning the focus to getting to Wembley and how the team has become much closer over that period (helped by the return of Charlie, of course)

You will have been blessed not having to endure some of the turgid football this season and a sense that players just werent that focused/keen. You all talk of having had the most enjoyable season  for years. Not for us. Yet, after last Monday, many would have had no problem with losing to Wigan, given the nature of our performance. It was complete, with every player playing his role as best they knew how. The huddle at 90mins. If we had lost, it wasnt through lack of passion or effort; it wasnt centered on an individual; it was as a  team. Perhaps this was optimized by Clint Hill asking to be subbed after 50 mins. He knew we could beat Wigan, but not with him on the pitch. He gave up his captains armband so Yun could come on. 

The two performances against Wigan, are what gives me hope for tomorrow, where wise old heads, might, just might, overcome Derby. 

PS excuse any use of cliches in the above ;)

@Gerry Daly. I had hoped you were getting the impression that I and a fair few Rs fans are not holding much hope for tomorrow (Derby 1-0 > HT > 2-0 > 2-1 >FT, IMO)

It was really a comment on how all players use the same cliches to express their passion..... Triffic 'arry is fannnntastic at them. So good, it is hard to tell one press conference from another

Personally, I think it would have made a better build up, getting players to comment over a background of your seasons progression, form the odd start of cant win home and win away through Clough's sacking (touched on there, but barely) and the surge in performance and results.  I read somewhere that one of the first things Mac did was show a video of you lot celebrating a goal where you didnt do it as a team. Fail to do so again and video would be played back in front of the team

To the wider audience, a reminder of you being 1-4 down... and MAc stepping into the dressing room. A pivotal point? Ask most Rs and they will say that the 2-2 at yours in the promo season was pivotal (only game I have left early... 90 mins... we were never going to score if we played all night...DOH!). 

I appreciate the protection of younger players from the limelight, but shouldnt there have been a bit more on Will Hughes, the lad everyone is talking about? 

I still dont know a lot about Derby, except that they are fast and very good footballing side which worries me. You're bang on form and I wont begrudge you getting promotion over us. I dont think we have looked together enough as a team over the season. 

There is long LondonCallin... sort club broadcast. The latest one has Ale Faurlin as guest. Great player, sadly twice out with knee cruciate stuff two seasons in a row. It would bore the pants off you, and most others, yet there was a good insight to the change in unity of our dressing room through the season

It is hardly a secret of the fractured nature of our club... Mac talks of his time there and players not wanting to play for the club, missing pre-season etc. Many of us felt Mac had a big part to play in our great start and not just from the coaching. Ale talks of how, after Jan the spirit was waning in our dressing room, the realisation we might not make autos (this centered around losing several of the 1st team very quickly to injury...Austin, Simpson, Philips, etc). He then talks of the players regrouping and turning the focus to getting to Wembley and how the team has become much closer over that period (helped by the return of Charlie, of course)

You will have been blessed not having to endure some of the turgid football this season and a sense that players just werent that focused/keen. You all talk of having had the most enjoyable season  for years. Not for us. Yet, after last Monday, many would have had no problem with losing to Wigan, given the nature of our performance. It was complete, with every player playing his role as best they knew how. The huddle at 90mins. If we had lost, it wasnt through lack of passion or effort; it wasnt centered on an individual; it was as a  team. Perhaps this was optimized by Clint Hill asking to be subbed after 50 mins. He knew we could beat Wigan, but not with him on the pitch. He gave up his captains armband so Yun could come on. 

The two performances against Wigan, are what gives me hope for tomorrow, where wise old heads, might, just might, overcome Derby. 

PS excuse any use of cliches in the above ;)

Funnily enough, I think the same with the Brighton games.

They're a similar team in a similar mould to you. We were able to grind out a victory through superb amounts of effort and the bit of quality when needed away. And at home, we beat them in every position. 

I don't think Brighton quite have the same quality as QPR, however, I don't think QPR have the same pace, or at least change of pace, that Brighton have.

The biggest comfort, however, is knowing we have outscored you and out defended you since Mac came in.

Before Mac

QPR - scored 10 - conceded 2

Derby - scored 18 - conceded 17

End of season

QPR - scored 60 - conceded 44

Derby - scored 84 - conceded 52

Difference

QPR - scored 50 - conceded 42

Derby - scored 66 - conceded 35 

16 more goals scored, 7 fewer conceded in 36 games. 

That's a GD of +23

In truth, that's what makes me confident. 

Dont worry... I have seen those figures too and they look very convincing.  Out of interest, have you had major loss of players through injury? Not trying to pick bones, but think Charlie averages a goal every 1.46 games vs 2.35 for Chris Martin, for instance. We are close to having back our best 11  (less Ale Faurlin and Matt Philips, both of whom are big losses). 

So defeat tomorrow and we have no excuses. We will have lost to not only a better team on the day but throughout the season, too

We get goals from all over the place. We have used 21 players and 16 of them have scored, with the top 3 scoring 50.

Whilst Martin is the leading scorer, its Bryson, Russell, Bamford, Ward and Hendrick you have to stop as well.  Also Martin has 8 assists, Byson with 14. We are not solely reliant on one source for goals and a few people where concerned when Bryson didn't play the 2nd leg, good job for Brighton he didn't.

I have every confidence that we are very capable of winning on Saturday, however if QPR bring their A game, or the nerves get to our young 'uns it will be QPR's day.

Getting his excuses in early. Obviously a worried man :lol:

He always does... it is never his fault.  In his defence, as far as the owners and fans are concerned, he has achieved more than we expected... it was only the bookies who said we would walk this league. He got rid of nearly 20 players in the summer and has had to rebuild the club (with the likes of JB)

For us it is a case of hoping what the headlines will read. Will it be about Mac ridding himself of the Wally/brolly demon... or Austin and burying his (miss Swindon vs Milwall, when the ball bobbled up)... of Kranjar tormenting Mac again at Wembley in the rain

Saying all that, given the press love in with Old Saggy Chops, win or lose, it will be an 'arry headline

Queens Park Rangers in numbers

£80m - The amount, according to the Sports Business Group at Deloitte, promotion back to the Premier League could be worth to QPR.

£68m - The club's wage bill for the 2012-13 season as Rangers unsuccessfully battled against relegation from the Premier League. When they were promoted to the top flight in 2010-11, their wage bill was £30m.

2013-14 league record under Harry Redknapp

Played Won Drawn Lost Win % Points

46 23 11 12 0.50 80

£65.4m - The amount QPR lost for the year to 31 May 2013. That loss was £13.4m more than 2013-14 Premier League champions Manchester City lost in the same period and £57.8m more than Burnley, who were promoted automatically to the top flight.

Clubs losing more than the £8m set under Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules in 2013-14 are subject to sanctions.

Charlie Austin finished the season as QPR's top scorer with 20 goals

£177.1m - The club's total debt for the year up to May 2013, which was up from £91.4m in the 2012 accounts.

4,264 - The total amount of appearances in the Premier League made by the 27 QPR players who have previously played in the top flight. For Derby, that figure is just 170.

455 - QPR's Aaron Hughes has played the most top-flight games while John Eustace leads the way for Derby with 49 Premier League appearances.

25 - The number of signings Harry Redknapp has made, either permanently or on loan, since he became manager in November 2012. Since last summer, 19 players have been brought in, including five on the final day of the January transfer window.

18 - The number of full international players in the QPR squad. Derby have six.

What they say:

"I think Derby are the favourites. They have been on a great run and Steve has done a fantastic job with them. They are a young side, full of energy. It's got all the ingredients of being a good match-up." QPR boss Harry Redknapp.

"Harry Redknapp would always ask for more and it was never one more player but two more. I would tease him and say 'when will you stop pestering me?' His talent was getting players, motivating different players in different ways and knowing what the team needed." Former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric.

"What you get for getting through is massive; not just for me and the players but for the fans, for next season, for the manager and the staff and everyone involved with QPR. At the end of the day we all want to play in the Premier League." QPR defender Danny Simpson.

-------

Derby in numbers

£120m - The amount promotion to the Premier League could be worth to Derby, according to Deloitte.

£10.5m -The club's wage bill, for players and administrative staff, for the year ending 30 June 2013.

£7.1m - The amount Derby lost in the year up to June 2013. That was down on the 2012 losses of £7.9m.

24,933 - Derby's average attendance in the Championship in 2013-14. That is 8,278 higher than QPR's average of 16,655.

£750,000 - The biggest transfer fee paid by Derby since last summer as striker Johnny Russell joined from Dundee United.

Steve McClaren returns to Wembley for the first time since 2007, when he was England manager as the Three Lions lost 3-2 to Croatia to miss out on qualification to Euro 2008, costing McClaren his job

27 - The number of players used by Derby County this season, 13 of those making 30 appearances or more.

12 - The amount of players Derby have signed, either on loan or permanently, since last July.

Six - Derby last played in the Premier League back in the 2008-09 campaign, six years ago.

One - The number of wins Derby managed during that record-breaking season - a 1-0 victory over Newcastle. They were relegated in March with just 11 points, the lowest-ever total in Premier League history.

2013-14 league record under Steve McClaren

Played Won Drawn Lost Win % Points

36 22 7 9 0.61 73

What they say:

"I'm looking forward to it - we all are. We're a bit like the swan on the river - cool and calm on the surface but underneath paddling like hell." Derby manager Steve McClaren.

"His research is second to none. He is always looking for the next thing, looking to get better and challenge himself - even though he has been in the game so long. He still wants to learn." Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, who played under McClaren at Middlesbrough.

Archived