How much are the Play Offs worth

Rampton

Whay are the play offs worth to the teams that don't get promoted.

Gate receipts, TV money, extra season ticket sales etc.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure i've read that the gate receipts from all 4 play off games are pooled and shared equally between the 4 teams,  which is a bit rough considering QPR and Wigan will struggle to top 18k.

Also do the winning team give the Wembley gate receipts to the losing side. 80 - 90k x £30 upwards.

£5 million? £10 million?

It would be interesting to know. Anyone?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only half the semi final receipts are spilt between the four semi finalist - the rest goes to a "pool account"

The same for the final, each club gets about 25% of gate receipts

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/football-league-play-off-rules_2293633_2358924

Tv money is not classed as match proceeds for these matches - guess it goes to the league and not the clubs.

I thought it was £1m in the semis and about £3m if you lose the final (based on the gate money going to the loser). However Ramblur thought I'd overegged the pudding.

Assuming that your £3m for the final includes anything made from the semis,I couldn't  question it.The OP has it slightly wrong in that allowable match expenses must first be deducted from gross receipts (along with VAT output tax) to give net receipts.The League then takes 3%,with both finalists then sharing 50% (as opposed to 100%) of what's left.Thus ,if the winners wave their share,the losers would receive the whole 50% of what's left (the other 50% going into a pool,which I assume is shared amongst all member clubs).I also assume that the winners waive their share of TV receipts,which will obviously be greater than those for the individual semis matches.Thus I could well see these considerations +share of semis proceeds amounting to around £3m.A Wembley appearance would probably boost merchandise sales,and a 50% chance of winning (ignoring perceived strengths of finalists) might well seduce a large number of new S/T sales,enticed by the prospect of a 50% refund.However,it should be pointed out that bonuses may well have to be paid out of this.

It was the £1m from a losing semi that I had issue with.I deliberately set a fairly ridiculous £40 per head average for our home game to show that,even at this level,we'd need a TV fee of well over £500k to hit the overall £1m. Now we know our own prices,I'd say that concessions would mean we'd probably struggle (a lot) to even average £25 per head.I very much doubt that our share of pooled gate receipts would amount to £300k.Again,the OP has it slightly wrong in that only 50% is pooled amongst the 4 (after expenses and the League's 3%). 

Only half the semi final receipts are spilt between the four semi finalist - the rest goes to a "pool account"

The same for the final, each club gets about 25% of gate receipts

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/football-league-play-off-rules_2293633_2358924

Tv money is not classed as match proceeds for these matches - guess it goes to the league and not the clubs.

I don't know for sure,but I think this just means that the clubs share TV receipts,and the League doesn't take a cut.Otherwise I think the League's regs would state that TV receipts are pooled.A bit similar to TV fees for cup games.

Wigan in the Semi finals is not the best for gate receipts.

Although saying that, If us and them make the final we'll probably get best part of 50k tickets like Arsenal did in the cup semi.

Ramblur - read the last section of this

Broadcasting revenue not classed as match proceeds and no facility fees paid to the clubs.

I read that as the clubs get no money from TV for the play - offs

Not sure about that one-I just read it that the League wouldn't take 3%.Whatever "facility fees" mean (and it might mean something other than TV fees),it doesn't say clubs won't receive same,but that amounts to be paid would be decided by the Board.

Having looked at the regs again,I think that the facility fees mentioned represent payments made to clubs for staging the semis.As clubs vary in size,these would obviously vary  and therefore couldn't be specified.The significant thing is that facility fees for the semis are decided by the Board; if you look at the final though,it says that no facility fees are payable (for the obvious reason that neither finalist stages the match). 

Ramblur thank you for your input its much appreciated, you seem to have a good head for figures. Can you give us a ball park figure what do the losers get give or take 100k?

Sorry Rampton,it's impossible because we don't know final ticket prices or the amount of the TV fee.All I was able to say was that I couldn't find anything to obviously refute Sage's £3m,but this doesn't mean that that's my estimate,because I find it impossible to come up with one!

For those who anticipate any proceeds from a losing final would automatically go into a transfer kitty,I think you might be disappointed.We should be aware that our owners have continually subsidised our club and I think it would be a little churlish to deny them the opportunity to use some of the proceeds to reduce their annual financial input,if only for one year.

My pleasure,Rampton. I cetainly think that a losing final would  increase the transfer kitty,it's just the amount which is open to question.

Archived