Assembly room could be demolished

davenportram

Seem to remember one of those televised snooker tournaments held there had to be stopped as water was dripping on to one of the tables from the air-con unit.

Not sure if this is connected with the lad ordering a pint as above.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No word of a lie, i was offered a job there, was due to start on the saturday but on the friday it was on fire. 

stuffed

If you didn't like the job, I guess you could've just say no.

To burn whole building down is bit too much.

Ugly building, not half as bad as the "new" bus station mind. The place looks old and weathered already, stained brown grey panels. Just awful. Beyond caring what happens to the cityscape in Derby now.

Ugly building, not half as bad as the "new" bus station mind. The place looks old and weathered already, stained brown grey panels. Just awful. Beyond caring what happens to the cityscape in Derby now.

Nasty cheap cladding.

expressive of the cultural change from the 70s when at least they tried to build civic buildings to the 90s and naughties where everything is 'value engineered/ cheap and nasty'.

Hopefully the QS got an award for the bus station.

No word of a lie, i was offered a job there, was due to start on the saturday but on the friday it was on fire.

stuffed

What job was it for? Was it in Facilities Management? Cos if it was, then yer should be thankful the place boyned.

But seriously now

Be thankful ;-)

Rotten luck missing out on a wage though.

What job was it for? Was it in Facilities Management? Cos if it was, then yer should be thankful the place boyned.

But seriously now

Be thankful ;-)

Rotten luck missing out on a wage though.

it was just a part time catering job. need some money over the summer haha

The campaign to save The Spot toilets is probably bigger than that to save the Assembly Rooms. There was an article about the toilets in the Derby Telegraph the other day. Good public toilets are a sign of a decent society. Anyone who has been caught short in a Third World country will know what I mean. Those underground toilets on the Market Place were a lifesaver to the weak bladdered and the inebriated. I have lost count of the number of  times those old iron railings around the toilets loomed into view just as I was about to lose hope and consciousness.

The campaign to save The Spot toilets is probably bigger than that to save the Assembly Rooms. There was an article about the toilets in the Derby Telegraph the other day. Good public toilets are a sign of a decent society. Anyone who has been caught short in a Third World country will know what I mean. Those underground toilets on the Market Place were a lifesaver to the weak bladdered and the inebriated. I have lost count of the number of  times those old iron railings around the toilets loomed into view just as I was about to lose hope and consciousness.

They were smelly.

On a summers day, Assembly Rooms was the hottest place on the planet......

Purely because the air con didn't work.

Hopefully the council spend as much money on the building as they did making the council house look like Chatsworth 

Archived