Cellino fails Owners & Directors test and cannot buy Leeds

HeyHudson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I know its the mail, but what is happening at Leeds?

EXCLUSIVE: Police in Leeds theft probe - new owner Cellino calls in cops after secret spy cameras found in Elland Road boardroom... and toilets!
  • Leeds managing director David Haigh resigned on Friday
  • Haigh claims he was left with 'no alternative'
  • Spokesman says it has nothing to do with police investigation

By NICK HARRIS

PUBLISHED: 15:59, 11 April 2014 UPDATED: 16:46, 11 April 2014

•  
The new owner of Leeds United, Massimo Cellino, has called in the police after finding secret spy cameras at Elland Road.  

In a sensational twist to the convoluted takeover saga at Leeds, West Yorkshire Police have launched a theft investigation, which sources say relates to club funds used to install secret cameras.

Police sources have confirmed the investigation surrounds the discovery of hidden cameras.

After news of the police investigation broke, Leeds managing director David Haigh resigned with immediate effect. A spokesman said his resignation was nothing to do with the police investigation.

article-2601889-1D00D6ED00000578-787_634

+6

New owner: Massimo Cellino, pictured right with Leeds boss Brian McDermott, took over the club this week

article-2602519-1631221A000005DC-697_306

+6

Old regime: David Haigh, formerly of GFH, in the stands at Elland Road

Haigh said in a statement: 'Owing to various statements made by and on behalf of the new majority owners of Leeds United FC, I am left with no alternative than to resign asm anaging director of the club.

'This is a matter of particular regret to me since I was the person who first introduced Eleonora Sport to the club’s owners. I also gave them my full and constant support in the Football League’s lengthy approval process.

'I am not yet, due to confidentiality obligations, in a position fully to respond to various statements which have been made about me over recent months. As soon as I am I will address the various issues – obviously a great deal has happened these past two years.'

Sportsmail understands that when controversial new owner Cellino arrived in Leeds on Wednesday to start his hands-on role in charge of the club, a security sweep found the cameras in the boardroom and the toilets.

Cellino called in the police, who spent Wednesday evening and much of Thursday trying to ascertain how the cameras got there, what money was used to pay for them and why anyone would want to have cameras of this nature fitted in the boardroom and toilets.

article-2601889-1CFE434400000578-842_634

+6

Rockstar: Cellino plays guitar with his band Maurilios and used AC/DC's 'Highway to Hell' to describe Leeds

article-2601889-1D00D71D00000578-402_634

+6

Thumbs up: Cellino has made it his 'first priority' to buy back the Championship club's Elland Road stadium

‘He’s clearly not thrilled that these cameras were there, and the police are taking those concerns seriously,’ a source told Sportsmail.

Italian Cellino, 57, officially became a board member of Leeds, who host Blackpool on Saturday, on Tuesday after his £35million deal to buy 75 per cent of the club from Bahrain bankers GFH was effectively given the green light last Saturday. 

The Football League gave him the all-clear after deeming that a tax evasion offence in Italy was not due to dishonesty.

Cellino has made clear he intends to run Leeds now, and that GFH - who retain 25 per cent - and its personnel will be marginalised.

It is not known who paid for the cameras to be fitted or where that money came from. 

article-2602519-1CCC620A00000578-152_634

+6

Colourful character: Cellino is the guitar-playing, chain-smoking charmer who kept Leeds from administration

article-2601889-18DD0AE700000578-853_634

+6

Making a point: Leeds striker Ross McCormack (second right) celebrates after scoring earlier this season

A spokesman for GFH and Haigh said: ‘We have no comment to make.’

West Yorkshire Police would provide no detailed information about their investigation. 

Head of crime for Leeds, Dep Supt Pat Twiggs, told MailOnline: ‘We can confirm that police are investigating an allegation of theft relating to Leeds United Football Club following a report made by the club made on April 9.

‘Enquiries are at an early stage and we are not in a position to give any further information about the nature of the allegation.’

Archived