what we need in the summer

davenportram

here's the squad - minus those out of contract in the summer. What do we need to do in the summer?

Keepers

Keele Roos................2016

Mats Morch...............????? (signed first pro contract 2012-13 season)

Lee Grant...................2016

Full Backs

Craig Forsyth...............2016

Kieron Freeman..........2016

Centre Halves

Jake Buxton ......2015 plus 1 year option

Shaun Barker ......2015

Mark O'brien........2015

Tom Naylor...........2015

Richard Keogh......2015

Midfield

Craig Bryson.......2016

Jeff Hendrick........2015

Will Hughes ........2016

Paul Coutts...........2015

Simon Dawkins ........2016

Strikers

Mason Bennett.....2016.(until he's 20 apparently)

Conor Sammon .....2016

Chris Martin.......2015 (plus 1 year option)

Johnny Russell.....2017

I say take wards option for 1 more year

Get Bamford back on loan

Get two right backs and a lb to cover Forsyth. And we will be as good or better next year

One key thing is the type of person we sign. Bucko said in the programme yesterday that the squad has no flash, big time charlies in it. Maybe why they work so hard and never give up in games.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Extend Martin's and Hendrick's contracts to 2017 ASAP

2. Andre Wisdom back on loan, whatever league we're in. Have him at CB with Keogh or Bucko.

3. Brayford back please

4. Back up LB

5. Sell Sammon, he'll want out and I'm sure a few Championship teams/Sheff Utd. would take him. Like him as a sub but really deserves to be starting for a team in the peak of his career.

6. New striker, Martin-esque. Someone who could slot in reasonably well if he was injured.

7. Quality holding midfielder, ideally someone who could step up to the PL or someone who's coming down from the PL.

A good right back - Wisdom on a permanent would be great, if not someone similar.

Left back cover/New left back depending what division we're in - Forsyth would be great for the championship and if he continues to improve he could maybe do a job in the premiership if we don't get promoted this time around. Could Max Lowe step up for next season?

A new defensive midfielder - I doubt Eustace could handle 46 games next season - he'll be 35 near the beginning of the season so a new DM is essential, especially if we get promoted - maybe look abroad?

A squad of 18 like this for next season in the championship would be excellent:

----------------------------Grant--------------------------

----Wisdom----Keogh-----Buxton-----Forsyth-------

-------------------------New DM---------------------------

--------------Hughes--------------Bryson----------------

----Russell-------------Martin------------New------------

Bench

Roos

Freeman

Hendrick

Dawkins

Bennett

LB Cover

Eustace

In terms of premiership quality, I'd be looking at keeping:

Grant, Keogh, Hughes, Bryson, Russell and Martin for the starting 11 and having the likes of Buxton, Forsyth, Hendrick, Dawkins as squad players/subs.

That Jamie Paterson of Florist would look good in a decent side. He's wasted with that nondescript bunch of washed-out hoof ball merchants.

1. Extend Martin's and Hendrick's contracts to 2017 ASAP

2. Andre Wisdom back on loan, whatever league we're in. Have him at CB with Keogh or Bucko.

3. Brayford back please

4. Back up LB

5. Sell Sammon, he'll want out and I'm sure a few Championship teams/Sheff Utd. would take him. Like him as a sub but really deserves to be starting for a team in the peak of his career.

6. New striker, Martin-esque. Someone who could slot in reasonably well if he was injured.

7. Quality holding midfielder, ideally someone who could step up to the PL or someone who's coming down from the PL.

I wouldn't have Brayford back. Sorry

Archived