Derby flag banned from City Ground

Day

City Ground officials have banned an iconic Derby County flag from next week's FA Cup showdown with Nottingham Forest amid safety fears.Fans have been told by safety officials that the 12-metre-high banner, which is unveiled in the crowd before every Rams match, will not be allowed into the ground for Wednesday's clash.

Rams fan Nick Webster, who takes the flag to every game, said he had received an e-mail from the club, which said its presence "could be inflammatory in what will be a highly charged atmosphere".

But Mr Webster said: "I think it is disgusting and unfair.

"It has been all around the country, even at Premiership grounds. We have never had any issues in taking the flag anywhere - but Forest just don't want to know."

Paul Ellis, chairman of Nottingham Forest Supporters Club, said: "You can understand that they don't want to do anything that could incite trouble."

Rita Kirk, general secretary of the Forest Supporters Club, added: "It is a one-off match which is very, very high profile and I think that the slightest thing could set things off.

The banner is 8.6 metres wide and cost £1,800.

A spokesman for Nottingham Forest said safety officials at the club were behind the decision. Forest fans would not be allowed in with banners either.

Chief Inspector Steve Haylett, match commander for the game, said: "We will not tolerate violence or disorder and will deal with any troublemakers swiftly and firmly."

[url=http://www.thisisnottinghamforest.co.uk/news/Derby-banner-banned-from-City-Ground.aspx]http://www.thisisnottinghamforest.co.uk/ne...ity-Ground.aspx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what makes it worse is Florist are the first club to ban it, if a few other clubs had done the same before this I doubt so much fuss would of been kicked up about it.

Have to make do with umbrellas instead.

• 2 years later...

I'd ban nick as well.

Ahhhhh Boycie, would you really?!

Oh and nice to see I got your support back in 2009.... I will get the flag in the City Ground before I die. And I still call them before every game.

Came very close for the game in September as to getting it in, maybe if we didnt have Forest fans in the upper tier it could have happened but they were a risk in case they fell over from the top!

Archived