The demise of Forest

ladyram

Its improbable but not impossible. Cardiff made the final in 2008 and Millwall did in 2004 who were worse sides than we are. All the need is the luck of the draw.

Anyway, great win tonight and four clinical finishes from three strikers. I would be very surprised if we do not finish in the top 6 now.

I think the top 5 are nailed on now. There's probably a number of sides going to be duking it out for that final sixth spot. They'll probably be the jammy b@$t@rd$ that end up winning and going up as well.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the top 5 are nailed on now. There's probably a number of sides going to be duking it out for that final sixth spot. They'll probably be the jammy b@$t@rd$ that end up winning and going up as well.

Like Blackpool in 2010 who beat us and Cardiff who had been comfortably in the top 6 for months. The fairest way would be the top three to go up but that is unlikely to ever come back.

Reading are looking good after a poor run and have a decent team for this level. The fact they hung on in there after playing appallingly against us on January 1st to come on strong for the last 10 minutes and grab a last gasp equaliser says a lot for their spirit as well.  What do you lot think of Adkins? I find him to be horribly smug and dislikable.

My take on the Forest game and team...

Darlow, looked assured and composed - not really tested much but never looked troubled.

Dan Harding - truly awful player, absolutely shocking.

Lascelles - he was actually the one marking Angella at corners if you watch close enough, his first goal he let him drift off in front of him and the second he was caught ball watching. I'm not convinced so far.

Collins - was the better of the two centre halfs, looked... okay, ish.

Lichaj - quite a poor performance, clearly limited with his ability but defensive enough not to let it show.

Abdoun - apart from a nice first touch, he offers very little - defensive contribution is sickening.

Paterson - is a good player, could go on to a much better level.. needs more direction though, fizzled and popped tonight, but what substantial contribution did he make? barely.

Moussi - offered little cover defensively I thought, him and Jara were the reason Watford broke with such ease at times.

Jara - see above, apart from adding anything attacking.

Reid - simply brilliant. I won't lie, that was as good as I've seen this season from a Championship player. Single handedly won Forest the game as far as I am concerned.

Halford - inexplicably poor.

----

Watford, absolutely dire. Set up well to break, but defensively unforgivable... attackingly lacked quality. Forest played into their hands first half and they couldn't do anything with it. Deserved nothing from the game.

Forest played well, but I feel without Reid being on point it would have been 3-points Watford down to some inexplicable Lacelles defending.

Like Blackpool in 2010 who beat us and Cardiff who had been comfortably in the top 6 for months. The fairest way would be the top three to go up but that is unlikely to ever come back.

Reading are looking good after a poor run and have a decent team for this level. The fact they hung on in there after playing appallingly against us on January 1st to come on strong for the last 10 minutes and grab a last gasp equaliser says a lot for their spirit as well.  What do you lot think of Adkins? I find him to be horribly smug and dislikable.

I agree with the playoff system as without it too many teams would likely have nothing to play for come the final quarter of the season. As a neutral you can appreciate the excitement of it. As an interested party, it's hard, but arguably the best way to go up if you win it. Although there'd have been far less stress on the ticker had we finished second under Davros, we'd have missed out on a Wembley win. Much more satisfying. 

Re Adkins, personally I like him. Thought he was incredibly hard done to at Southampton in the end. I know where you're coming from with the smugness thing though, there's definitely traces of it there, but at the end of the day, he did well at Southampton so it's hard not to appreciate that he probably had something to be smug about. TBH, looking at the teams in the league, I'm hard pressed to find a Championship manager that I actively dislike. The only one who instantly springs to mind is Davros. The fact that he's your manager is irrelevant in that as well. If he managed another team, and they played you, there's every chance that I'd want you to win. The man is a grade A bellend.

I agree with the playoff system as without it too many teams would likely have nothing to play for come the final quarter of the season. As a neutral you can appreciate the excitement of it. As an interested party, it's hard, but arguably the best way to go up if you win it. Although there'd have been far less stress on the ticker had we finished second under Davros, we'd have missed out on a Wembley win. Much more satisfying. 

Re Adkins, personally I like him. Thought he was incredibly hard done to at Southampton in the end. I know where you're coming from with the smugness thing though, there's definitely traces of it there, but at the end of the day, he did well at Southampton so it's hard not to appreciate that he probably had something to be smug about. TBH, looking at the teams in the league, I'm hard pressed to find a Championship manager that I actively dislike. The only one who instantly springs to mind is Davros. The fact that he's your manager is irrelevant in that as well. If he managed another team, and they played you, there's every chance that I'd want you to win. The man is a grade A bellend.

Agree with you about the benefits, even though perhaps there should be some favour attached to finishing 3rd or 4th such as a straight knock out semi final with 3rd or 4th playing at home? I am glad that the proposal to expand it to six teams did not go through, finishing 8th and still having a chance to go up would just be ridiculous.

Adkins has an outstanding track record with Southampton and Ssausagehorpe and is doing fine at Reading, if not excelling in the job so you can argue his smugness is justified but I would suspect it is a natural thing with him. I have wondered had Davies not managed us whether Derby fans would dislike him so much. I've always said he made a complete hash on managing you in the Premier League even though Jewell made it far, far worse.

Agree with you about the benefits, even though perhaps there should be some favour attached to finishing 3rd or 4th such as a straight knock out semi final with 3rd or 4th playing at home? I am glad that the proposal to expand it to six teams did not go through, finishing 8th and still having a chance to go up would just be ridiculous.

Adkins has an outstanding track record with Southampton and Ssausagehorpe and is doing fine at Reading, if not excelling in the job so you can argue his smugness is justified but I would suspect it is a natural thing with him. I have wondered had Davies not managed us whether Derby fans would dislike him so much. I've always said he made a complete hash on managing you in the Premier League even though Jewell made it far, far worse.

Yep, would have suggested the same advantage as well. It's incredibly galling when you finish third and then have the same chance of going up as a side that could have finished 10+ points behind you in the league, or someone that you've already beaten twice in the regular season.

Re Davros - it's not the Forest thing, although that possibly exacerbates it. It would have happened where ever he'd landed. It's just his style of management and the perpetuation of the 'siege mentality'. TBH, he'd already started winding us up before he left - playing mind games in the immediate aftermath of the Wembley Win is one example that springs to mind that p1ssed me off.

Adkins - It could well be a natural thing I suppose. I don't find him insufferable with it though. There are far bigger culprits, many of whom have no right. Colin being a perfect example, but he seems to have fooked off finally.

Yep, would have suggested the same advantage as well. It's incredibly galling when you finish third and then have the same chance of going up as a side that could have finished 10+ points behind you in the league, or someone that you've already beaten twice in the regular season.

Re Davros - it's not the Forest thing, although that possibly exacerbates it. It would have happened where ever he'd landed. It's just his style of management and the perpetuation of the 'siege mentality'. TBH, he'd already started winding us up before he left - playing mind games in the immediate aftermath of the Wembley Win is one example that springs to mind that p1ssed me off.

Adkins - It could well be a natural thing I suppose. I don't find him insufferable with it though. There are far bigger culprits, many of whom have no right. Colin being a perfect example, but he seems to have fooked off finally.

It made our defeat to Blackpool in 2010 very hard to swallow even though they did beat us four times this season.

Many Forest fans dislike him immensely and just before Christmas, many were calling for his head. Very few people wanted him appointed either, due to his past Derby associations, his reputation for long ball, falling out with Earnshaw at Derby who was our best striker and his reputation for falling out with people. I thought it was a good appointment and we were poor before he came, mostly poor between his spells (with the exception of a decent spell under O'Driscoll) and have been good under him. I can see why he is disliked though but if he gets us promoted then you cannot really complain.

Agreed about Warnock. I'm not a massive Ian Holloway fan even though he can be amusing.

What we saying with the teams combined then, what's everyone's starting XI... 10 Derby players? 10 Forest players... must have changed somewhat since the last time we did them.

I'll start.

Goalkeeper - hard to pick between them in all honesty, Darlow is good, Grant is also good - both have improved a lot in recent weeks. I'll give the benefit of the doubt in their favour, although from what I've seen it's nearly impossible to pick from.

Left Back - Fozzie and Cohan are cut from the same clothe and play in similar ways, Forsyth is the leagues best left back according to whoscored so who am I to argue with that.

Right Back - not even worth discussing, clearly Lichaj :ph34r::lol:  okay maybe not, easily Wisdom.

Centre Backs - Buxton and Keogh are both by far the statistically better centre halfs out of the two sides (with Hobbs gone, who was better than them both) Wilson, I thought had a strong start but apparently not according to whoscored however, if you offered me a swap deal with Wilson for Keogh, I'd take it.

Centre midfielders - another key battle, defensively... I would incorporate Hughes there for a 'deep lying' playmaker type role, however, if not him I'd perhaps throw our new boy Thorne with what he showed at Watford. And of course, no question about the other two... Reid and Bryson, comfortably.

I think we would hold the front 3 positions down to, perhaps could argue the toss with maybe Paterson, but Ward/Bamford Martin Russell/Dawkins would be my choice, any variation.

My pick (updated Jan 2014 ver)

Darlow

Wisdom Wilson Buxton Forsyth

Hughes

Reid Bryson

Bamford/Ward   Martin   Dawkins/Russell

I didn't think I was biased, but looking back... there is only 3 Forest players and one of them was a toss of a coin :lol:

Forest are doing exactly what I thought they'd be doing..

Picking up ugly wins here and there... Plenty of draws..

It really isn't a suprise to see that they've only lost 4 games in 27. 1 loss every 7 games or so is decent for this level.

They won't go up though. They'll make the playoffs and then flop. BD will never learn. Playing for draws in this league, especially away from home is just ridiculous.

There is no success in making the top 6 and not going up if you're paying shed loads of money to get promoted. Anything below top 2 for Forest is a failure as with BD's mentality they'll have little chance of winning the playoffs

Its improbable but not impossible. Cardiff made the final in 2008 and Millwall did in 2004 who were worse sides than we are. All the need is the luck of the draw.

Anyway, great win tonight and four clinical finishes from three strikers. I would be very surprised if we do not finish in the top 6 now.

I would be quite surprised if any out of the top 5 drop out of those positions given their form so far this season - but with more than a third of the season to go you can bet that someone's wheels will wobble, if not exactly drop off. 

Davies' teams have a history of wobbling towards the end of the season. They also have a history of going on outstanding runs of form in winter which is what we are on.

On a related note, Charlie Austin is out for a few months. QPR are toothless without him and they will struggle to find a replacement now, The second place is still very much up for grabs.

Davies' teams have a history of wobbling towards the end of the season. They also have a history of going on outstanding runs of form in winter which is what we are on.

On a related note, Charlie Austin is out for a few months. QPR are toothless without him and they will struggle to find a replacement now, The second place is still very much up for grabs.

True, although Doyle looks like he could be heading there. Once upon a time he was a good player, but has deffo lost his way. Let's hope he doesn't recapture his form for them. 

Archived