The demise of Forest

ladyram

My money's always been on it being JW. Totally fits the profile, he posts on here less these days, not as funny as he used to be; all because he's using his material on them!

You fackin what??

It's not me unfortunately, I rarely venture on LTLF and have no idea about this Kevin guy.

Or do I??........

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JWJW has been banned over there too

Dissent is no longer tolerated. Fridgy and King Billy's line must be toed (unless you are Nigel, then King Billy's arse must be kneed)

To be fair we had finished in the play-offs two seasons in a row but had not made the final which was a long way where we'd come from previously. The club stated McClaren was being brought in to enable us to take the next step. He was right and his signings were poor as well (with the exception of Reid).

McClaren did have a slim squad at Forest but it was completely lacking in any depth, to expect the team to go into the season with only 5 senior defenders was insane and there were plenty of times we did not even have two central defenders. The main thing though was he did not agree on a direction with the club and they both rushed the decision.

McClaren did not manage with what he had at Forest which was mostly a side that had finished in the top 6 two seasons in a row with some expensive additons. Davies did well at managing your side to the top of the league before making some poor signings. He also did well at Preston with little cash and kept a poor Forest side up.

I don't disagree with the way your club has turned it all around is impressive. McClaren is certainly reaping the rewards of it now.

Did we actually get lucky with Doughty? He was a great investor but to be a great owner you have to move the club forward and improve it which he did not do at all. Throwing money at something guarantees nothing as many teams have shown at this level.

Half time isn't long enough. The queue would be that long you'd need days to clear the backlog.

Problem is that Forest fans would moan as we would get a free go with every mobile phone ever bought. That's why the queue would be so long!

Davros did the same with us, turned from relegation candidates into promotion chasers in a season. Despite his best efforts to fook it up. Top and looking good going into the new year but then insisted he be given money to spend so that he could bulk up the squad. Ultimately he destabilised the squad and we ended up drifting into the playoffs instead of either nailing on second or better going for the top. All because Billy didn't trust in what had gotten us to the top in the first place.

No coincidence that you too have suffered from the post Christmas/New Year Billy 'wobble'.

McClaren might have taken you on, but either by his own design, or by encouragement from your board he attempted to do too much too quickly. Billy's good at building teams that play his 'brand' of football but God help anyone else trying to do anything with that team once he's gone, especially if they try and undo that 'brand'. Didn't surprise me that McClaren tried to make drastic changes. Unfortunately, that gamble didn't pay off. Can't say as we were overly bothered.... ;)

McClaren didn't manage with what he had at Forest, largely because what he had wasn't good enough to go up. What he added wasn't either. That's the only problem with Davros teams, they're great for playing Davros football, but give that team to someone else and then try and get them to try and play a different way.....you'll have this problem again when he goes. You needed a longer term strategy with McClaren - should have been made clear that that season was a transition rather than trying to go up. Perhaps he'd have worried less about 'impact' signings and more time looking at your academy.

It helps that he inherited a good squad from Nigel. Nigel had clearly reached his limit in terms of what he could do with it, but credit to him for putting those foundations in place. What McClaren's done is to coach them, and manage them to a higher level still.

Yes, you got lucky with Doughty. Throwing money around does not guarantee success, see Fawaz, however how many would have taken the financial hits of those failures personally? How much did Doughty pump in just to keep you afloat? How much did you owe him in the end? How much have you paid back? Having someone back you to that extent, fuelled by nothing more than a desire to see the club go on to bigger and better is rare. Ultimately whether it's successful or not does not detract from the fact that you were lucky to be given the chance in the first place.

1) We suffered the same wobble after we did not strengthen in January 2010 and completely ran out of steam. Who knows what may have happened if Davies had stuck with the team at Derby. One of the January signings scored the winner in the play-off final as well.

2) McClaren did not make the most of what he had. Believe me our performances were just awful under him, the 2-1 defeat to you when we had a goal and man advantage was pretty indicative of his time here. The two league games he won were two of the worst kind of 1-0 wins possible. We ended up going 4-0 down to Burnley within 35 minutes who were languishing in the bottom half of the table. It was just awful in every respect and it was not Davies' fault. That team should have been mid-table at least but was not good enough to push for promotion.

Ishmael Miller for 1.2m and on 18k a week is laughable.

3) Your squad now is far more talented on the whole than ours was in 2011. I have never seen you play under him so cannot comment on what he has done. It will be interesting to see what happens when he has a full pre-season with them and makes some additions of his own. Maybe be will take Ishamel Miller who is out of contract with us!

4) I don't know how much Doughty put in. It was understandable why he got fed up of it as it did not bring the club success and ultimately was wasted. He got his fingers burnt severely on more than occasion, most notably with Platt spending £12m and not finishing higher than 11th. No-one knows what has happened to the debt to the Doughty family and it is not really anyone's concern. As I said a great investor who had the club's best wishes dear to his heart but an awful decision maker and chairman.

We will see what happens with Fawaz but I don't see us spending heavily again in the summer and why should we all the time? The club would have gone into administration had someone not bought it so I am very grateful for that.

Oh I'd definitely welcome him back. That would fit in with our new commercial revenue streams.

Just think - tenner for three throws.....

"http://fethard.com/photos_2009/Macra_0156" alt="Macra_0156">

I'm thinking, in the centre circle at HT.

Was he liked during the promotion season? Did your fans sing his name when you were promoted?

Would you dislike him so much if he did not manage Forest?

All genuine questions.

Archived