Student loans

smiffy

what they need to do is rid universities of courses which won't lead to a career.

Media Studies? Really? What career is a degree in media studies going to launch you into.

BY getting rid of the nonsense courses, you then get rid of the nonsense students.

To be fair, I think a lot of jobs now arent even overly fussed what degree you've got, as long as you've got a 2:1 in it. 

But yep, the amount of courses and amount of students these days has taken away the prestige of having a degree.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8730010/Punters-could-pay-tax-to-cover-cost-of-clearing-up-mess-caused-by-binge-drinking.html

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/how-much-income-does-the-uk-government-make-from-alcohol-taxes-per-year/19364553

Tobacco maybe although i reckon there are discrepancies as to where the money ends up, but as for alcohol no chance. There are many ways in which that hurts the tax payer. You called students scrounging cnuts, how do you propose students pay for the fees and living costs then? The 'scrounging' i just did got me a better job than i could have ever dreamed of before and I'm paying it back + more tax. The balance recently tipped and percentage of workers with degrees is the majority, we have a service and skill based economy now. This is 2013.

Also why aim your anger at the people stuck in the system, surely it is the policy makers that you should be angry with. Or the Labour party that really pushed this scheme in the first place.

£46,000,000,000, but will eventually rise to £200,000,000,000,we are not talking peanuts, what % of the national debt is that.

Most of the money is a complete waste, just read the posts , people finishing Uni and unable to find employment paying little more than the minimum wage. most go just to get out of finding a job when school ends, oh and what<s all this bowlocks about taking a fooking gap year and going travelling, who pays for that.

£46,000,000,000, but will eventually rise to £200,000,000,000,we are not talking peanuts, what % of the national debt is that.

Most of the money is a complete waste, just read the posts , people finishing Uni and unable to find employment paying little more than the minimum wage. most go just to get out of finding a job when school ends, oh and what<s all this bowlocks about taking a fooking gap year and going travelling, who pays for that.

You're killing your argument by suggesting people get a loan for a gap year, obviously know very little about the whole topic.

People who have a gap year and go travelling pay for it themselves. 

There's way too much bullcrap degrees which screw the statistics. There are also some genuinely good degrees like Law and History which are very hard to get a job with though.

But, I mean, some of the courses and the universities that offer them...for all that money, who's telling them it's really worth it?

And smiffy, £200,000,000, 000 is peanuts in the grand scheme of the national debt. And considering where the majority of our national debt comes from, I think the investment in the nation's education isn't the worst of it. 

It's hard to pay back debts, especially those that live alone..

If you're still at your parents house, paying nothing towards rent and food then you have no excuse really.. But those that live alone have to take care of themselves.. You pay your basic needs in food, water, gas, electricity, rent bills and then taxes and then what's left you have to pay towards loans..

It's difficult to actually make any money at all..

I never went to University and I had an awesome job in Canada in which it was easy to pay all my basic needs and then save loads after.. As soon as I got down here I'm forever asking for money to help out as it's bloody hard to save any money..

If you're doing a useful degree, fair enough, but not one of these useless **** ones that won't get anyone, anywhere.

One that quite a few people I know are doing is Criminology. Fair play, it sounds very interesting, but how many jobs do you know that are going in that field of work? Not the thousands of students that are doing the course. So it's pointless.

I don't have a degree. I did an apprenticeship and I'm now a technician. Decent money as well. Did 3 years like a uni course.

They'll be 3 years + behind me in terms of work experience. And many students are too pig arrogant. These students who don't have any work experience behind them, thinking they're so clever they'll walk into a 40k a year job after gaining their super duper degree. Get real.

Man I arrived in Canada when I was 20... I hadmy basic bills as.. (in dollars $$ a month)

rent $450

gas, water, electric $50

food $500

monthly skytrain ticket $100

Ice Hockey games $50

Phone credit $50

Activities (eating out, cinema etc.) $200

Basically I was spending minimum $1400 a month on the basics..

But what I earned was nuts.. Guaranteed 40 hours a week but I worked overtime to make it easily 50 a week..

40 x $15 an hour = $600

10+ hours overtime at $22.50 - $30

Minimum per week I earned $700 after taxes.. So $2800 minimum a month minus my basic expenditure and I was looking at saving $1400.. Some months I earned alot more.. And after all that after 1 year I got all my taxes back anyway..

In 10 months I had saved $15k... Imagine what I could have saved if I had lived with my parents and didn't have to buy food.. I would have saved $30k plus for a job that required zero experience and zero studies..

Now I'm poor earning around $125 a week.. I probably save $50 a month.

Man I arrived in Canada when I was 20... I hadmy basic bills as.. (in dollars $$ a month)

rent $450

gas, water, electric $50

food $500

monthly skytrain ticket $100

Ice Hockey games $50

Phone credit $50

Activities (eating out, cinema etc.) $200

Basically I was spending minimum $1400 a month on the basics..

But what I earned was nuts.. Guaranteed 40 hours a week but I worked overtime to make it easily 50 a week..

40 x $15 an hour = $600

10+ hours overtime at $22.50 - $30

Minimum per week I earned $700 after taxes.. So $2800 minimum a month minus my basic expenditure and I was looking at saving $1400.. Some months I earned alot more.. And after all that after 1 year I got all my taxes back anyway..

In 10 months I had saved $15k... Imagine what I could have saved if I had lived with my parents and didn't have to buy food.. I would have saved $30k plus for a job that required zero experience and zero studies..

Now I'm poor earning around $125 a week.. I probably save $50 a month.

What about all your gambling winnings ? ;)

I feel sorry for todays youngsters - Smiffy's generation has spent all the money.

There wasn't much in the first place - our parents paid it all to the Americans for nylons in the second world war.

The remainder was stolen by Cameron's banker chummies - and amazingly enough, there are some who will still vote for the Eton educated tosser and his chinless colleagues.

There wasn't much in the first place - our parents paid it all to the Americans for nylons in the second world war.

The remainder was stolen by Cameron's banker chummies - and amazingly enough, there are some who will still vote for the Eton educated tosser and his chinless colleagues.

Better than those cnuts that pissed it all up the wall previously.

I feel sorry for todays youngsters - Smiffy's generation has spent all the money.

Smiffy's generation were war babies pal, if you think its tough today get some ration book up you. :p

Smiffy's generation were war babies pal, if you think its tough today get some ration book up you. :p

Twas only kidding chap, I don't like different generations pitching against each other though - each generation has its problems to face up to, we're in a mess and we need to pull together. Britain was still a world power when you were a lad, times are changing, now the youth will be competing for the crumbs off India's, Brazil's and China's table.

I feel sorry for them because I can see retirement age being 70+ when they are due - they might die on the job. Incidentally I consider myself very lucky, I was born at just the right time - no wars (on home patch), will be able to retire early, graduated when a degree meant something (and wasn't just a ticket to get most £16k+ job) and my first house (2 bed in a nice area) was about 3 times my annual salary (not 8+ multiples or something ridiculous like that). That is luck.

My advice to any young people I come across in the workplace is to emigrate. I gave up on that dream for love, nobody make the same mistake as I!

Archived