Student loans

smiffy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice.

Keep the unprivileged away from the privilege of an education.

I've always thought there should be potential talent spotters that go round all the schools and that looking for anybody that shines in a particular area (could be anything) see if they're interested in certain careers then push them big time in that. Wouldn't matter whether you were form Eaton or Etruria. Dunno how it would work but then all the ones that were left or not interested (would have been me) could still do apprenticeships and training in the jobs that they want. That's my vision anyway, vote PD.

Suppose like modern day careers officers, of which there are none now... so everyone go's to uni for the sake of it.

Students loans aren't really a loan, they are more of a tax. You only start paying them back when you have started earning a certain a amount (over £15k I believe) and even then its only a percentage of what you earn over that figure (8% I think). To add to that, if you pay it back early you have to pay a charge. 

It's not fair to place the blame solely on the graduates who haven't paid their loan back. As explained above, they have to earn over a certain threshold, if they want to pay more it costs extra, and in the current graduate job market finding a job that pays over 15k isn't easy. Also, the loan company themselves have made a right cock up and lost the employment records of many of the students making it difficult for graduates to start paying it back anyway!

what they need to do is rid universities of courses which won't lead to a career.

Media Studies? Really? What career is a degree in media studies going to launch you into.

BY getting rid of the nonsense courses, you then get rid of the nonsense students.

Nope, they go to Uni in the day, why not work at night? Or work for a year or two then go to uni

Simple eh because it is simple to save the 42,000 quid required for the course with accommodation. Oh....forgot about the actual living part. 

OK, living of baked beans and cornflakes.......better call it 60k for the 3 years. 

Universities are a business, they have vocational courses like media studies that make them money. I graduated this year as a mechanical engineer and walked in to a well paid job. My repayments start in April at £60 per month. Lets not forget the student loan figure pales in insignificance compared to the burden put on the NHS by people smoking and drinking themselves to death. Or the amount of money qualified people bring in to the British economy per year.

Archived