watches....to dream on for

froggg

Nothing usable. Just been reading on a fairly informative site about collecting vintage watches. It seems that 'New old stock' is more often than not a watch cobbled together from old, unused parts. Buyer beware, especially on eBay.

You can get real NOS watches from Van Henne. I got a Glycine dress watch from 1969 that I got as a NOS from there.

You can get real NOS watches from Van Henne. I got a Glycine dress watch from 1969 that I got as a NOS from there.

Can you translate the salient features on this watch for me? The on-line translators are crap. From the pics, it seems as though the winder might be non-original.

http://vanhenne.fi/harvinainen-suomessa-tehty-omega-14-k-rosegold-v-1955-590-e/

Also, what does MYYTY stand for?

Myyty is sold, in English, The parts were smuggled here from Switzerland after the war. The watch has been refurbished in Seattle.

It sounds intriguing. Thanks. So, do you reckon it's collectable, and is it 'on the money' do you think?

It sounds intriguing. Thanks. So, do you reckon it's collectable, and is it 'on the money' do you think?

Everything Van Henne sells is collectable. His prices are usually pretty good. Sometimes he sells watches that he wants to stay in Finland and even makes a plea for that to happen. He hasn't done that with this piece but I think it still might be the case. And with this watch I would very well understand it because there is so strong ties to our history.

Still it is a beautiful watch and the old rose gold is quite different from todays so if you want it go for it.

If that's the original box with it, it's worth a mint. Check out the price of replacement boxes for the top brands on eBay. Horrific.

I'm aware of those prices. Still don't know if I should go for that watch. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got this one. Coming to me tomorrow. :)

On the subject of Zenith watches, a salutary tale. The one I got for my wife at the beginning of July needed the bracelet, which is an integral part of the case, shortening.

Foolishly I took it to a high class retailers, Goldsmiths. It turns out that they don't do the work in-house, so they measured my wife's wrist with a piece of cord taken from one of their carrier bags and sent the watch off to HQ. :o

From there it (eventually) found its way to their approved jeweller/butcher in Manchester who will/may, in due course, give an estimate. We still don't know:

a what it will cost

b what sort of hash the bloke will make of it

c whether it will actually fit

d whether the watch will be damaged.

After several complaints from ourselves, the shop manager has been frantically trying to contact the repair man, with little success.

The upshot is that they are going to return it to us, having had it nearly 7 weeks, and I will get the job done by a competent jeweller, as originally suggested by the vendor.

The moral of the story is, NEVER take your watch to a high street rertailer for repairs or adjustments, they don't do the work in-house. Go direct to a competen, qualified watch repairer.

I'm going to make sure that my wife is standing in the same room as the repairer when it eventually gets done.