NFL thread

Perky1106

I've just registered for the Fantasy Football on NFL.com, should anyone interested do the same?

I realise I am going to really struggle with this being my first season but still looking forward to it.  Can I ask some questions to help me prepare;

- How many players do you select in the draft?

- Do you then select the players you want to 'play' each week?

- Are you allowed to transfer in / out throughout the season or are you limited to your original squad?

- How long does the draft take?  Is it done over one night everyone can guarantee availability or is it done over a period of time?

- Would we run the draft on here or is it done on the NFL fantasy site?

- Do the players not have a value or cost just first come first served with each player?

- Is there a position it is worth snapping up early or are there hot players across each position? (ps don't tell me the position if there is one, it'll be up to me to find)

- Do you guys have a list of players for each position, in case someone else snaps it up? 

- Shall I try and create the league on NFL.com?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Posh Ram

@AmericanRam

@r4derby

@GeneralRam

@Sweetness34

Hi all.  The NFL thread has gone really quiet.  Are you guys still interested in a Fantasy Football league?  I have got the dates of the NFL and I have registered.  Got a few questions in my last few posts as well.

Note the following key dates for free Fantasy Football on NFL.com:

April 27, 2015 - NFL Fantasy Registration Opens
June 1, 2015 - NFL Fantasy Mock Drafts Open
June 15, 2015 - NFL Fantasy Drafts Begin
August 9, 2015 - NFL Preseason Begins
September 4, 2015 - NFL Preseason Ends
September 10, 2015 - NFL Regular Season Kickoff
October 17, 2015 - NFL Fantasy Drafts Close
February 7, 2015 - Super Bowl 50, Santa Clara

@Posh Ram

@AmericanRam

@r4derby

@GeneralRam

@Sweetness34

Hi all.  The NFL thread has gone really quiet.  Are you guys still interested in a Fantasy Football league?  I have got the dates of the NFL and I have registered.  Got a few questions in my last few posts as well.

​I'm basically as much of a newbie as you mate, but I'd love to give fantasy a go. And in answer to your questions, I know that you pick team defence, there is a position that scores a lot of points, it'd be great if you set up the league. Points scoring - I haven't a clue how it works :)

@Posh Ram

@AmericanRam

@r4derby

@GeneralRam

@Sweetness34

I've been doing fantasy for 6 years now on NFL.com, which I've learnt doesn't make me any better, but I understand how it works. If anything, by knowing more players I think I know too much and usually do badly as a result. I'll write a longer post later on laptop with some thoughts. I'm happy to set league up, but I don't recommend drafting until after at least middle of preseason. Players will get injured/suspended/waived before then and can mess up your team. I suggest maybe mid-to-late August draft, couple weeks before kickoff. Thoughts?

@Posh Ram

@AmericanRam

@r4derby

@GeneralRam

@Sweetness34

Definitely interested mate! Maybe we could all try and get on at the same time and do the draft?

I've just registered for the Fantasy Football on NFL.com, should anyone interested do the same?

I realise I am going to really struggle with this being my first season but still looking forward to it.  Can I ask some questions to help me prepare;

1- How many players do you select in the draft?

2- Do you then select the players you want to 'play' each week?

3- Are you allowed to transfer in / out throughout the season or are you limited to your original squad?

4- How long does the draft take?  Is it done over one night everyone can guarantee availability or is it done over a period of time?

5- Would we run the draft on here or is it done on the NFL fantasy site?

6- Do the players not have a value or cost just first come first served with each player?

7- Is there a position it is worth snapping up early or are there hot players across each position? (ps don't tell me the position if there is one, it'll be up to me to find)

8- Do you guys have a list of players for each position, in case someone else snaps it up? 

9- Shall I try and create the league on NFL.com?

​I'll try and answer these for you mate, and any others wanting to play this year but unsure how this format works.

1. Depends on your individual league setting. Assuming we run a standard format (probably recommended) you select a QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 Flex (which is either a RB or a WR), as well as a Tight End, Kicker and a Defense (a team). You also choose 6 reserve players, which can be any of the above positions, although it is smart to have a variety.

2. The players you select in the above positions are the ones who will score points. Reserves (players on your bench) will not add to your points total, although you can see how many they scored to aid decisions for the following week.

3. Any player can only be on one team in each league. Any player not selected in one of our teams will be on the 'waiver wire' (essentially a free agents list). These players can be selected from the Wednesday AM for the following weeks games, and you can add any of these players, as many as you like, but there are limitations: you can only have a set amount of players on your team at any one time, so you will need to drop a player to add one, unless you have a space on your roster; any player who is wanted by more than one team will join the team with the lower record (you will have a priority order based on standings)

My advice, don't drop any players you value, even if they're injured (unless its season ending), as they can still be valuable for trades/later weeks.

4. Draft usually takes 60-90 minutes, completed in one evening (assuming that's best for everyone) Anyone unable to join the live draft has two options - they can set their own rankings of players, those players will then be prioritised when the computer drafts for them. Alternatively, the computer auto-drafts their team based on the default player rankings, which are compiled the "experts" at nfl.com, which means that people who know more than us help decide your team. So its not all bad if you cant make it, or if your stuck halfway through the draft for players and wish some support.

5. It's all done on the nfl.com fantasy website. They have a draft client which everyone logs into, its a lot of fun (you can do demo/test drafts before hand to get the idea)

6. Every player is available to any team when drafting. However, the top 20 rated fantasy players cannot be dropped when they've been selected, only traded, so they have value in comparison.

7. Depends on your tactic. Without going too much into it, the positions that will traditionally get you points are the QB and your RB's, with top WR's also scoring highly most weeks. My advice, these are the positions to fill as priority.

8. I tend to wing it a little bit. In the draft centre, you have the teams in the league and when they draft, the players you have already selected and all available players remaining. These a ranked as default by their rating, so you get an idea of the better players that are left to be picked.

9. Up to you. If you would prefer, I can set a league up and put all of the details on here for anyone wanting to enter...

(hope this helped)

9. Up to you. If you would prefer, I can set a league up and put all of the details on here for anyone wanting to enter...

(hope this helped)

​It did all help, thank you.

Feel free to set the league up.  From the info I have found on NFL.com there will be decisions around what earns us points and what doesn't and that can be set up in the league settings.

Good to have you guys back.  There is a lot happening in the NFL with Dante Fowlers injury and Tom Brady's ban.

​It did all help, thank you.

Feel free to set the league up.  From the info I have found on NFL.com there will be decisions around what earns us points and what doesn't and that can be set up in the league settings.

Good to have you guys back.  There is a lot happening in the NFL with Dante Fowlers injury and Tom Brady's ban.

Flowers ban happens, it sucks and you feel for him but he should still have a decent about of time to show his ability over next couple of seasons to earn a big contract. Respect to the Jags for agreeing a 4 yr deal after injury, it's a business and players know to get as much money as poss, but players will now look at Jags as a team that look after their own, makes them more desirable to free agents.

Brady - ha! Bit of a scumbag. If it turns out they deflated balls for advantage, which it appears they did, then they cheated and he should miss time, and pay in my opinion. I feel for the Colts, as they got well beaten in that AFC Champ game, but would it have been diff if balls weren't tampered with...? Who knows. I don't like the Pats, and find it deserving that they have some retribution. It's not the first time they've been at the centre of scrutiny

I'm 100% up for it. Last year I did Yahoo sports and ESPN, both were very good and the previous year I also did the NFL.com. I actually couldn't care less where what website we use to host our DCFC league so long as we're all available for the draft and some banter. We can all beat American Ram and laugh at him for losing at his own game ;)

- How many players do you select in the draft?

- Do you then select the players you want to 'play' each week?

- Are you allowed to transfer in / out throughout the season or are you limited to your original squad?

- How long does the draft take?  Is it done over one night everyone can guarantee availability or is it done over a period of time?

- Would we run the draft on here or is it done on the NFL fantasy site?

- Do the players not have a value or cost just first come first served with each player?

- Is there a position it is worth snapping up early or are there hot players across each position? (ps don't tell me the position if there is one, it'll be up to me to find)

- Do you guys have a list of players for each position, in case someone else snaps it up? 

- Shall I try and create the league on NFL.com?

​R4derby has already given you some really solid advice and info but I'm just going to add in a little tidbit that I found really helpful when I was getting into it.

On your squad, you usually have 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 DEF & 1 K.

The first time I did a draft, I got my positions in completely the wrong order, leaving me with a terrible squad.

Go for your two starting RBs and WRs first, and then fill in your starting line-up (minus the DEF and K - they should be very late picks). Do some research before the draft and have a plan on the positions that you're going for with each pick. The real challenge is in the middle rounds where you're trying to get good depth at WR & RB, that's where it helps to know who the unearthed gems are.

Creative team names are usually used for your team as well. Being a Redskins fan, am thinking of some to use with the Redskins name. Or something with Kerrigan as Ryan Kerrigan is my favourite player.

​I might go for Bridgford Buccaneers, combining where I live and 'my' team. 

Archived