Dave Langan selling all his stuff

Posh Ram

Republic of Ireland's Dave Langan sells caps and medals

_68722573_952744-1Dave Langan played 26 times for the Republic of Ireland

A former Republic of Ireland defender with money troubles has put his 26 caps and two club medals up for sale.

Dave Langan, 56, who won the League Cup and the Division Two title with Oxford United, said he had already had to sell his house due to financial problems.

Langan, who played 150 times for Derby County in the 70s, and also played for Birmingham City, Peterborough United and Bournemouth said he was devastated.

Langan, who lives in Peterborough, said he might have to move into a caravan.

'Tears and heartache'

The council worker said he and his wife hit financial trouble following cuts to their salaries.

"The financial side is really poor. We couldn't manage with the bills," he told BBC Radio Derby.

"My family in Ireland are really upset because it's [memorabilia] been over there for 25 years.

"There's a lot of tears and heartache but it's the only road I can go down now," he said.

The former right-back said a group of Oxford United supporters had started an online campaign to buy his 1984-85 Division Two winner's medal and 1986 League Cup medal.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a nice guy - and he was quite ok with me pinching most of the champagne at the awards night when he won Derby's Player of The Year award.

I really liked him as a player but he blotted his copybook by refusing to turn up for a cup match at bristol city.

He was clearly keen to get away.

He'd make bryson look lazy.

Archived