Key players......

RamNut

What you posted was as much of analysis as banging your head into a wall and declaring them dangerous due to risk of injury. There was no insight in what you offered there, in particular the comment about Sammon. One match does not a sample set make.

Yawn.....it was based on starting 11s of which mr sammon missed 5 not 1.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yawn.....it was based on starting 11s of which mr sammon missed 5 not 1.

5 games is not a significant sample by any means, particularly when he played in all but one of those games. Win/Draw is also a very simplistic sampling method. If you're going to use it as a stick to beat him with you'd need a sample of at the very least 10 games.

Come on Albert. Lets see your stats on this matter.

They are, let's say, a work in progress. If I can do it properly though, I should in principle be able to find "points per game" values for selections of players playing together, rather than just single players, which may offer an interesting insight.

They are, let's say, a work in progress. If I can do it properly though, I should in principle be able to find "points per game" values for selections of players playing together, rather than just single players, which may offer an interesting insight.

do what ever you feel is necessary to show that you are the more superior statistician.   

You boys might have some competition - have you seen Toby's really important Derby stats thread? It mentions the moon and everything!!

5 games is not a significant sample by any means, particularly when he played in all but one of those games. Win/Draw is also a very simplistic sampling method. If you're going to use it as a stick to beat him with you'd need a sample of at the very least 10 games. They are, let's say, a work in progress. If I can do it properly though, I should in principle be able to find "points per game" values for selections of players playing together, rather than just single players, which may offer an interesting insight.

I wasn't using a stick to beat him you boring sod.

Ramnut wins cos he's flinging a few insults which he's somehow managed to do without being offensive! Which in itself is an art form! Hahaha.

If this was a live stat-off at Wembley Stadium, Albert would crumble under pressure.

Well, here's a table for points per game for the team overall, just for completeness sake. Players are listed in order of their overall points per game with them playing. Players who played less than 20% of games are highlighted red, whilst those who played more than 80% are highlighted green. Both of these categories should be treated as statistically insignificant in this case. The first set of three columns is appearances for the season, whilst the second is points per game, with the 3rd being a weighted points per game based on opponents final points tally (points×(their points / our points)):

"OpBnjGw" alt="OpBnjGw">

Of course, this doesn't really say all that much. I've not finished my own analysis, but I thought it was worth putting up the complete form of this. If there are any errors you can spot please point them out. Here is the same table for starts only:

"nfTakXM" alt="nfTakXM">

What is striking on these in particular is Jamie Ward rating so lowly. Now, the difference between the starts and subs would suggest he's been brought on coming a couple of times and had little time to make an impact on the game. What makes this all particularly odd though is that he has had a stunning season:

Jamie Ward 2012-13

Starts: 23

Subs: 2

Goals: 12

Assists 9

Contribution: 21

Team Goals: 34

Scored in: 44% (50% at home, 36% away)

Assist in: 28% (36% at home, 18% away)

Appeared in: 54%

The most striking of all is that he's had a hand in 61.8% of goals while he's been on the pitch. Injuries have affected him this season, but when he's been on the pitch, he's really done the business. Exactly why his overall points per game is so low is a interesting question. One way of looking at it is who he's played along side while he's actually played.

In the 11 games he played along side Keogh, Hendrick, Coutts, Hughes, Roberts and Brayford the team averaged 1.73 points per game (1.79 weighted) which is more than any individual player this season managed apart from Freeman (who's weighted value was considerably less, suggesting that his high average points per game may have been due to the quality of the opposition). If the 8 games that the same set of players played together without Ward, the side only managed a mere 1.25 points per game (1.07 weighted) which is considerably below the season average of 1.33. This suggests that Ward, as the stunning stats of his this season would suggest, has been a key presence in the side.

Oh well, I'll have a look over the other parts later, Ward's record just stood out.

Also, for the record, of the 5 games Sammon didn't start this season we only won one. The goal scorer that day? Conor Sammon.

Archived