Phillip Neville

cannable

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically, why would Neville come here over a host of other clubs that would be interested who are a) a newly promoted Prem side or b ) a side challenging at the top of the Championship

We are neither

Not that I even think he would be a great signing, even in his prime he was only an OK Premier League player, now he's about 45, for the wages/signing on fee he would demand, I'd rather look elsewhere. 

So we have ruled ourselves out of getting Phil Neville

But

We are in for Frank Lampard, I don't think we can compete with wages though, Tyson and Robinson would have to go to free up space.

The starting 11,subs an whole academy and chuck in a few thousand then we have made space

Completely agree.

I think he'd be a magnificent signing for us. Quite apart from the experience of playing for a Championship winning side, his position (dominant tough tackling midfielder) is something we are severely lacking at present. You have to imagine he'd be a fantastic influence on Hughes, Hendrick & the other young lads we have - passing on tips, cajoling them, telling them what it takes to be the best & play for the best...

He also strikes me as a lad who plays for the enjoyment, not necessarily the paypacket. I hear he's declared himself open minded to dropping down a division so maybe a well-sold "vision" could persuade him to join us.

Shades of the Dave Mackay capture in 1968 if we did go for it (I accept Mackay was the superior player)

Archived