Freeman signs new contract

Day

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County’s Wales Under-21 international Kieron Freeman has put pen-to-paper on a new three-year contract with the Rams.

The 21-year-old defender, who joined Derby last summer from East Midlands rivals Nottingham Forest, has penned fresh terms until the summer of 2016.

Freeman has made 15 appearances in a Rams shirt since arriving at Pride Park Stadium last August and with John Brayford currently sidelined with a hamstring injury, he has been handed the chance to shine in recent weeks.

He has started each of Derby’s last three matches and his solid defensive displays have helped Nigel Clough’s side claim three successive victories in the Championship for the first time this season.

Freeman can perform at either right-back or left-back, as well as in a wide midfield role, and his progress both in the first-team squad and for the Rams’ Under 21 side have prompted Clough to hand the Nottingham-born player a new deal.

Clough said: “Kieron is a player we have an awful lot of faith in and we think he’s going to be a very good player in the future.

“He’s got all the right attributes to be an extremely good defender and he’s got a good opportunity at the moment, with John out injured, to build up his Championship experience.

“We’ve been pleased with his progress over the last few months and he’s not looked out of place when we’ve put him in the first-team.

“He’s had to wait patiently for his chance but his attitude has been excellent from the minute he walked through the door and he’s grasped the opportunity we’ve given him, which is exactly what we’re looking for from our younger players.

“It’s pleasing to once again secure the services of one of our promising young players on a long-term contract and that Kieron sees the direction we’re moving in.”

Freeman came through the youth ranks at the City Ground and made his first-team debut in August 2011, as a second-half substitute in Forest’s League Cup victory over Wycombe Wanderers.

In a bid to gain more first-team experience last season, Freeman enjoyed spells at Mansfield Town and Notts County, where in the process he became the youngest player to have ever played for all three professional Nottinghamshire clubs.

In total he made two first-team appearances for Forest before making the move across Brian Clough Way.

Freeman made his Derby debut as a substitute on 3rd November 2012 at home to Blackpool, before making his first start for the club on New Year’s Day this year as the Rams defeated Middlesbrough 3-1 at Pride Park.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/freeman-pens-new-derby-contract-749885.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

I'd be thinking more along the lines of undisclosed.

Whooosh!

So was I - along the lines of Sammon's fee being undisclosed, yet the figure of £1.2m is always used as a weapon to beat him with.

2m is my guess - 2.5 tops - his contract is up next year isn't it?

The one thing we have going for us in this sale is he is a good lad who clearly gets on with clough - He is not the type to try and force through a deal so hopefully Sam can get us some decent money in....

Bit disappointing if we do sell, he's key to the team, plus a solid season finishing in the play offs would probably inflate his value quite a bit.

But if selling him can give us the funds to sign that goalscorer and left back we all want then he's going to have to be sold.

So a thread about extending Freeman's contract automatically turns to a thread about selling Brayford.

Is this what we've come to expect from our club? Freeman is good young cover at RB and LB but there is no way he should be first choice in either position.

If we sell Brayford and put the youngster in as first choice then we are no further forward than we were a couple of seasons back when we bought Brayford. They can't possibly sell this as "progress"

It's all part of the amigos legacy. We now assume that every Derby board is going to be the same as them, selling players as soon as they have any market value irrespective of the consequences - and preferably at 1 minute to midnight on transfer window deadline day.

It has to be said that has never been the case with GSE - although some will try to suggest that is the case.

I'm willing to take any bet on Brayford leaving this summer, that's not having a pop at GSE, Nigel or anybody.

Brayford is a key player that none of us want to see leave the club but at the same time we must sell before we bring anyone in. He is one of our major assets with a contract that is running dangerously low. His value already in the summer will have dropped considerably as he enters his final season.

How are we going to fund the 5 new players? Selling our rejects isn't going to bring a great deal in, selling our better players will. We know the drill by now.

Also when Rush arrived, one of his first jobs was to sort out the contracts, you would think Brayford would be top of the list would you not with a club chasing promotion sniffing around?

Sorry if you don't like the sound of Brayford leaving, none of us will but lets not kid ourselves that no key players will leave this summer.

On Freeman I'm glad he's signed a new contract, from what I've seen he looks alright and will improve with more game time which he will get next season.

I'm willing to take any bet on Brayford leaving this summer, that's not having a pop at GSE, Nigel or anybody.

Brayford is a key player that none of us want to see leave the club but at the same time we must sell before we bring anyone in. He is one of our major assets with a contract that is running dangerously low. His value already in the summer will have dropped considerably as he enters his final season.

How are we going to fund the 5 new players? Selling our rejects isn't going to bring a great deal in, selling our better players will. We know the drill by now.

Also when Rush arrived, one of his first jobs was to sort out the contracts, you would think Brayford would be top of the list would you not with a club chasing promotion sniffing around?

Sorry if you don't like the sound of Brayford leaving, none of us will but lets not kid ourselves that no key players will leave this summer.

On Freeman I'm glad he's signed a new contract, from what I've seen he looks alright and will improve with more game time which he will get next season.

Nail, head, hit.........

So a thread about extending Freeman's contract automatically turns to a thread about selling Brayford.

Is this what we've come to expect from our club? Freeman is good young cover at RB and LB but there is no way he should be first choice in either position.

If we sell Brayford and put the youngster in as first choice then we are no further forward than we were a couple of seasons back when we bought Brayford. They can't possibly sell this as "progress"

Totally depends who comes in with the money raised from Brayford as to whether it can be called progress, surely?

A fair point - sorting Freeman's contract extension before Brayford's seems ominous

Same time you could say Brayford's deal could be more complicated due to his age and you would hope ambitions.

The Cardiff interest was in December was it not? 3/4 months on now, the fans concern must have got back to the club and you're trying to sell season tickets, what better way to show us they mean business by tying up a new deal for a key player? Has to be better than photoshopping horns on to Keogh?

Even by letting us know they are negotiating a new deal or have a date planned to start negotiations would be something.

I'd love to be proven wrong and take some stick for being "negative", come on Rush bring me some haters, please!

Archived