Do footballers deserve their wage?

blackNwhites

Afterall football is a business, and they're paying the best players alot of money because they're the ones that make the business what it is...

I'm going to agree with Bris... Even typing that made me throw up in my mouth a little...

Make no difference if they deserve it based on work ethic etc... it's just basic supply and demand... the demand for top quality footballers is there, and people are prepared to put the money up to pay them ridiculous wages...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you think it's a bit misplaced though?

Lets look at Derby for example. If all Championship clubs had a salary cap, and of course Derby adhere to it. Instead of losing £7m or whatever it is every year they make £10m a year. 

That could be re-invested back into the squad, the stadium, the Pride Park area, the city of Derby and Derbyshire as a whole.

Why do footballers deserve to take on the bulk of a clubs income? I wouldn't be bothered if they earned a good wage, like £100k per year max (as a championship wage), they play in front of big crowds every week, are in the media every week. They'd deserve that. Fair enough. A requirement of their employment at any club could be that they get an education in whatever they so choose, anything, they've got the finances to fund it, no problem.

DCFC supporters money, at the very least, should go back out into the community.

Birmingham's Nikola Zigic (reported in today's Mirror), is on £50k per week with no relegation clause built in. His wage is due to rise to £62k per week in the summer.

He has rejected a pay off deal from Birmingham and a move to Villareal!

:o

Bought for £6m, 18 goals in 61 Championship league games. Conor Sammon is a bargain at that rate.

Yeah they deserve it IMO.

Being a good footballer requires an incredible amount of skill and dedication. You sacrifice an awful lot, most importantly Christmases, and you & your families privacy. They're two pretty big things to give up. You also have a skill that, as part of a team, draws thousands of people in to watch you.

The people who don't deserve it are those that are **** - but then again, I work with people that aren't half of what they're on, so it's just like every other industry!

It's the way that some footballers behave that abhors me. Being flash is part and parcel - Lawyers and businessmen drive round in fancy cars, and footballers have exactly the same right to do so. But racism, raping girls, fighting etc are things I hate to see from people that my children (when I have the little buggers) will watch every week.  

Footballers in this country need a proper education, and learn how to conduct themselves in everyday life. Going from having to wear a school uniform to having a couple of grand a week landing in your bank account will bring the worst out in young people.

I'd love to see clubs implement qualifcation schemes during training down time where players did OU courses, A-Levels they'd missed out on etc. A footballers career is incredibly short - not everyone can rely on a lucky break in journalism or punditry if they have a career ending injury. Why not get qualified in something?

I know that all sounds a bit noble, but it might just help bring some humility back in to the game.

I think footballers deserve their money... The top ones especially..

Afterall football is a business, and they're paying the best players alot of money because they're the ones that make the business what it is...

Rooney getting paid $250k a week is no different to one of the top positions working for Walmart or some rich oil company..

They deserve their money if their take still allows their club to be profitable (as would be the case for Walmart).However,the clubs must take the lion's share of the blame for allowing overpayment to happen.

Is Tyson a bargain whats his wages ?

Tyson was a freebie and has also been utilised as a winger in most of his games for Derby.

But, pretty much any Championship player is a bargain compared to Zigic. Extortionate transfer fee and extortionate wages for an average Championship division striker. 

Birmingham's Nikola Zigic (reported in today's Mirror), is on £50k per week with no relegation clause built in. His wage is due to rise to £62k per week in the summer.

Serves the club right for offering stupid money for him!

Karma bites you back.

Zigic symbolises all that is wrong with the modern player. At 6ft 17 or whatever he is, he is a total coward of a player. I don't know what he's like as a man but as a footballer he's a coward. He's coasting through games and he's more likely to lose you a goal or a game through indiscipline than he is to get you a goal through skill and/or hard work.

62 grand a week for him when there are young english players who would burst their balls to play at that level. That's 3.2 million a year on one player. Our total wage bill is less than 9m so I'm led to believe.

With 3.2m we'd have to pay 6 or 7 first teamers.

Do footballers deserve the wages? Not at the level they're at right now.  Flashback to 1991/92 pre sky, when top top players were making 10-15 grand a week. England Internationals on 6-8 grand a week and I mean top england internationals. Not some 17 year old kid negotiating his first contract before he's played a first team game.

The AVERAGE salary in the PL is now 30k per week. 45 and 50 man squads when only 25 can be named.

Maybe we don't want to admit it but it WILL kill the game.

Archived