Lack of January signings

dcfc88888

2 days under the transfer window is closed again, and if the board are serious about us improving then perhaps we could have signed a couple of players to make a push in the league, since our squad is desperate for new signings:

LB

ST

CB

I guess we are going to 'rebuild' in the summer again like we do every years but I'm worried about the lack of signings, particularly when Tyson's loan to Millwall has left us a little short in the striker department. Although there's still plenty of time to sign someone on loan, I have a feeling we won't because we haven't make a single loan signing this season.

I don't know if Clough has mentioned anything saying he its going to sign/ we don't need to strengthen/ we are fine for the rest of the season, but its painfully obvious we need at least one reinforcement.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We sign players in the summer always will do under Clough.

In the summer we will sign a new CB, Shaun Barker heard he is quite good. Joke aside Barks could be quality but he could be awful then we will need a CB.

A new LB will come in.

Potentially a goalscorer the one player fans want to see next season.

Lack of January signings isnt necessarily a bad thing as squad chemistry isn't ruined but I agree a new face does give a lift and a signal to fans.

I don't get why fans believe we need a LB, CB and ST.

For me, we are crying out for some creativity from midfield, some drive, something different from workhorse Bryson and predicable Jeff....Coutts and Hughes have plateaued as well.

Problem is our formation, personnel and tactics are completely wrong for a creative individual. When Jamie Ward is your 'creative spark' it says a lot...

For me, we are crying out for some creativity from midfield, some drive, something different from workhorse Bryson and predicable Jeff....Coutts and Hughes have plateaued as well.

Problem is our formation, personnel and tactics are completely wrong for a creative individual. When Jamie Ward is your 'creative spark' it says a lot...

We have enough CMs, we need a couple of wider players.

We have enough CMs, we need a couple of wider players.

My point exactly, playing four CMs doesn't make for creative football, neither does playing a rigid 442 or 451, despite what Clough says about Wards 'free role'.

I have come to terms with the fact that we won't see further investment this season and would be fortunate to see any new players arrive on loan either.

But looking ahead to the summer, I totally agree with iRam. A central midfielder should be our first priority, something that has needed addressing since before Clough arrived. We don't have genuine quality in that position.

Hughes has fantastic potential but we have to recognise that's all it is at the moment. We can't depend on him to be that player to dictate a game when he is still developing, still maturing and can't play at a consistently high level week in, week out.

Four years under Clough and it amazes me that we have neglected to make a significant investment in a central midfielder. With Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes as our rather limited options, we are effectively witnessing the glass ceiling of what we can achieve.

We have enough options down the wings, and in the middle. Freeman looks to be a good enough replacement for Roberts in a LB position, and O'Connor can do a job.

We are crying out for a decent partner to Sammon in the strike force. It apparently isn't Theo, he hasn't had a sniff recently, odd considering he is still our top scorer. Maybe its Ward? Clough did come out and say that this would be his preferred partnership.. Although he seems to be too busy in his 'free role' to be of any use down the middle. I love the guy to bits, he brings a bit more bite to the team, but he seems to be either in the game or totally anonymous. Tyson has now gone to Milwall on loan, and predictably is injured, Jacobs does have some effect there, and Bennett is clearly not ready to start yet (maybe next season?).

Yes we haven't had a top goal scorer in some years, but we have always found goals from other positions to the point that last season (maybe the one before, not sure) we had a team where every outfield player had scored. But if we want to challenge for those top spots, then we need to find a player that fits the team and gets those 15-20+ goals in a season.

I think it is simplistic to say we need a goal scorer, you could have put Alan Shearer at his prime in the side against Blackburn on Saturday and still scored nil given the lack of service. A goal scorer will tuck away the chances other miss, we had no shots on Saturday.....

I think it is simplistic to say we need a goal scorer, you could have put Alan Shearer at his prime in the side against Blackburn on Saturday and still scored nil given the lack of service. A goal scorer will tuck away the chances other miss, we had no shots on Saturday.....

A goalscorer would also know where to be at the right time making the chance of having more shots on target greater/

We got ward, Robinson and fielding on loan and signed them permanently once the season was finish.

Was hoping for something abit similar this year.

Think they'll be alot of changes during the Summer, too many players entering last year on contracts

We got ward, Robinson and fielding on loan and signed them permanently once the season was finish.

Was hoping for something abit similar this year.

Think they'll be alot of changes during the Summer, too many players entering last year on contracts

I cant see much changing in terms of transfers coming in.

I can see Bailey, Davies, Doyle, Oconnor, Croft, Naylor, Atkins, Deeney leaving. Certainly free up wages that would.

You pay higher values for players anyway in January, because usually the players you want to buy are playing for a team and usually doing well. Can see it being a fairly busy summer, something along these lines:

Out - Roberts, Tyson, Robinson, Doyle, Davies, Bailey, Ball, Deeney, Croft and potentially Hughes and Fielding.

In - Left back, striker and potentially centre midfielder and a goalkeeper.

Leave us with a squad of

GK - Legzdins / Fielding/New

RB - Brayford / Freeman

CB - Keogh / O'Brien

CB - Barker / Buxton

LB - New

RM - Coutts / B.Davies

CM - Bryson / Hendrick

CM - Hughes / New

LM - Jacobs / Ward

ST - New / Ward

ST - Sammon

Leaving the likes of O'Connor Gjokaj, Bennett, Hoganson, Lelan etc to continue there development / be used as back up. We'll probably sign 2 or 3 youngsters from premiership teams (rejects) like we did last summer with Gjokaj and Hoganson.

Providing the players signed are good e.g. Fox, Sharp etc. Then we'll be a decent team.

Archived