Set piece secrets

Brammie Steve

In 1971 Arsenal achieved the double. Derby took the League Championship trophy off them the following year then, (40 years ago!) Me and Mossy were at this incredible match.

Even the highlights show just how much the Rams benefited from knowing what to do with set pieces.

40 years on is it time for Nigel to sit his team down and make them watch this again and again to learn from his dad's tactics?

I reckon it could get us a dozen extra points a season!

Seems like last week! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good footage but the players we have got now aren't fit to clean the boots of the team of 71 - 72. There is another couple of matches i've seen recently 4-1 against real madrid and 3-0 against benfica. One thing i did notice was roy mac pushed up so far it was like having an extra midfielder. No there's a thought.

A team coming up from the second division and winning the title a couple of seasons after will never happen again unfortunately because of the money with the 'big boys' unless Derby get taken over by some Russian Trillionaire.

Devastating this was before my time!

There's a clip somewhere of the ball being chipped over the wall and then smashed in. I reckon we should try that.

There's a clip on tinternet somewhere but I'm on my phone so I can't post it.

I seem to remember Dave Mackay doing that at Blackpool in our promotion season - I think John O'Hare scored. Can't be totally sure - drunkenness impairs the memory.

Nearly right, it was Roy McFarland who scored. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks. I recall we went absolutely mental at the sheer audacity of it - and IIRC when we got home we got to see it all over again because it was one of those rare occasions when we were on 'Match of the Day'.

I could easily have made that last bit up too.

Thanks. I recall we went absolutely mental at the sheer audacity of it - and IIRC when we got home we got to see it all over again because it was one of those rare occasions when we were on 'Match of the Day'.

I could easily have made that last bit up too.

You are right about being on Match of the Day, it was almost unheard of for a second division side to be on it at that time. I got chased through Blackpool after the game by some Northern toerags trying to nick my scarf. I haven't a clue why I remember this stuff, I can't find where I put my mobile phone five minutes ago!!

Wasn't the free kick 'scooped' - and didn't the authorities make that kind of set-piece illegal alongside the Willie Carr two footed flick for Ernie Hunt to score?

Wasn't the free kick 'scooped' - and didn't the authorities make that kind of set-piece illegal alongside the Willie Carr two footed flick for Ernie Hunt to score?

I was wrong about Roy Mac being in the wall. He was standing to the side of it. It was a great chip rather than a scoop.

Archived