What happens if Nigel Clough is sacked by Derby County? (mod edited title)

ChaddesdenRam

I agree with that entirely, I have heard very few managers who interview so badly after defeats...possibly only Ferguson and Wenger compare on this level.

My only point would be if he does not think he is given the funds to compete at this level or to take the club any further then do something about it - either walk from the job or tell the owners that money is required for players, also make sure that it is done publicly so the fans know who the buck stops with.

That doesn't sound like a great idea to walk away from a job or publicly make demands on the owners, why would he do that? Personally, I enjoy his interviews, he tells it how it is and doesn't come out with a load of neutral tosh just to keep the more sensitive of you happy.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't sound like a great idea to walk away from a job or publicly make demands on the owners, why would he do that? Personally, I enjoy his interviews, he tells it how it is and doesn't come out with a load of neutral tosh just to keep the more sensitive of you happy.

Well if the owners won't help him meet his ambitions then I don't know why he would want to stay?

He doesn't really tell it how it is though does he? Too often he fails to see when we have not played well and that his stubborness coupled with some por tactical decisions costs us a lot of points.

He also always seems to have excuses ready when we do lose.

Well if the owners won't help him meet his ambitions then I don't know why he would want to stay?

He doesn't really tell it how it is though does he? Too often he fails to see when we have not played well and that his stubborness coupled with some por tactical decisions costs us a lot of points.

He also always seems to have excuses ready when we do lose.

What manager doesn't, most of the time, even the top ones? If United lose it's always the ref or the timekeeping, if Arsenal lose it's always down to something Wenger hasn't yet seen.

What manager doesn't, most of the time, even the top ones? If United lose it's always the ref or the timekeeping, if Arsenal lose it's always down to something Wenger hasn't yet seen.

It would have been really refreshing on Saturday to hear him say:-

'We started with Bryson on the left but he was completely uninfluential, so we brought him into the middle and took Hughes off because he's being looking a bit jaded and put Davies on. Ward wasn't getting close enough to Sammon so we decided to swap him for Jacobs because him and Sammon looked good the last time they played together. With half an hour to go we had nothing to lose so we brought Bennett on to give us an extra striker and also to give him a bit more first team experience. We could see our original line up wasn't working so we had to change it. Overall we got outplayed today but at least we went down figthing.'

Instead we got:-

'I'm sorry that I had to play a 17 year old and a 20 year old against an England international and a Danish international'

Of course, the 'I'm sorry that I had to play a 17 year old and a 20 year old against an England international and a Danish international' bit could be a veiled dig at the board's reluctance to give Clough any money to buy more experienced players in order to give him options.

No, that's probably too silly for words - although it's just the sort of rebelliousness that you were calling for in an earlier post (something along the lines of 'walk or create a stink').

Of course, the 'I'm sorry that I had to play a 17 year old and a 20 year old against an England international and a Danish international' bit could be a veiled dig at the board's reluctance to give Clough any money to buy more experienced players in order to give him options.

No, that's probably too silly for words - although it's just the sort of rebelliousness that you were calling for in an earlier post (something along the lines of 'walk or create a stink').

No it's exactly the opposite of what I am calling for actually.

If he is happy with the support from the board I don't expect him to making up excuses about the age of our players or the cost of players.

If he is unhappy with the support from the board I would like him to come out and say so, at least everyone knows where they stand then.

Cheap 'veiled digs' are the last thing I want to hear.

It would have been really refreshing on Saturday to hear him say:-

'We started with Bryson on the left but he was completely uninfluential, so we brought him into the middle and took Hughes off because he's being looking a bit jaded and put Davies on. Ward wasn't getting close enough to Sammon so we decided to swap him for Jacobs because him and Sammon looked good the last time they played together. With half an hour to go we had nothing to lose so we brought Bennett on to give us an extra striker and also to give him a bit more first team experience. We could see our original line up wasn't working so we had to change it. Overall we got outplayed today but at least we went down figthing.'

Instead we got:-

'I'm sorry that I had to play a 17 year old and a 20 year old against an England international and a Danish international'

His post match interviews are generally quite exasperating. Saturday's sounded to me like us fans should expect to lose against Blackburn, calling the forest game "a great game of football riled me as well".

Lose count of the number of away games this season I've got back from where my dad says" Clough thought we were unlucky on the radio, or Clough says we missed some great chances" when in reality it seemed to me a totally inept performance. We're far to negative away from home, we can't keep clean sheets so we must score to get anything from the game. Unfortunately this involves shooting and making chances.

I'm not particularly anti-Clough but I don't think I'd lose any sleep if we were to change managers. To be honest I support derby county rather than players or managers, I was here before them and will be after them. The seasons really are becoming dull though, any early season promise is quickly curtailed by Clough saying we can't compete. We should all have accepted this by now apparently.

No great financial backing from the board either, the £8m loss baffles me. If this is prudent business sense then I'd hate to see rash decisions being made.

If he is happy with the support from the board I don't expect him to making up excuses about the age of our players or the cost of players.

If he is unhappy with the support from the board I would like him to come out and say so, at least everyone knows where they stand then.

The whole club feels a bit secretive and underhand to be honest, I don't trust the owners or Sam rush one bit. Equally I cannot work out what their plan is?

Couldn't agree more as to the "veiled digs". Be a man and speak up either way.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - as it always seems to be.

I do not expect Clough to come out and state publicly that he is unhappy with the board - no sensible person would take such action.

What do you think would happen? The same thing that would happen to you or I if we took the same course of action in our jobs.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - as it always seems to be.

I do not expect Clough to come out and state publicly that he is unhappy with the board - no sensible person would take such action.

What do you think would happen? The same thing that would happen to you or I if we took the same course of action in our jobs.

Competely disagree.

If I was unhappy with my working conditions I would say something and I expect my boss would respect my opinion or sit down and tell me why he thought I was wrong.

I am not asking him to say he is unhappy with the board, just to say that we could do with a bit more money to spend on a defender or a striker. At least then the fans could actually ask questions to the board like 'why is Nigel not being given money to strenghten when he has stated he needs it'

You've got the kind of boss some people can only dream about.....

I'm actually self employed...I was speaking theoretically...my boss is a right c**t!

You are wrong and misleading. Burton Albion only went full-time once they were promoted to Div 2. Prior to that they were one of only 3 or 4 part-time professional clubs in that league; the remainder were full-time.

I thought they went pro in 2005ish. If your correct, then fair enough I was wrong. Not sure why I thought it mid noughties

Competely disagree.

If I was unhappy with my working conditions I would say something and I expect my boss would respect my opinion or sit down and tell me why he thought I was wrong.

I am not asking him to say he is unhappy with the board, just to say that we could do with a bit more money to spend on a defender or a striker. At least then the fans could actually ask questions to the board like 'why is Nigel not being given money to strenghten when he has stated he needs it'

The point is, are you going to say it publicly?

Clough would never walk away from this job.. He'd be stupid to..

Because let's be honest, he wouldn't get another job as well paid as this one and no-one in the NPC or above would touch him... Why would they?

This is the best job he can and will ever have..

Agreed I was thinking the other day, when Clough eventually leaves Derby will he ever get another job?? Apart from back to Burton i don't think he will.

All of the reams and reams of arguments on here about whether Clough is a good manager or not can be answered with the question :- have any Premiership or even Championship clubs ever come in for him or even been linked with when a vacancy has arose? The answer is a resounding no. Meaning the other clubs have also formulated the opinion that his achievements do no stand out or or there are far more capable and accomplished manager's out there. QED.

Clough wont get sacked, I genuinely believe he'd stay even if he took us down (not that he will) and that the board would keep him in that scenario.

If he left though, I have no clue who the board would go after or whether I'd trust their judgement. The fact is we couldn't attract a proven manager - only up and comers who fancy a shot at a 'big' club.

Archived