The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the people that slate Sammon do so because they're in denial or confused about who they should be aiming their criticisms too. After grilling a couple of lads I was with about why they criticise him, I got down to the reason, simply because the manager has ruined the Derby careers of so many players for making a couple of mistakes (Cywka, MaGuire, Moxey, Jacobs etc) yet Sammon is allowed to carry on with a carte-blanche. 

If any of the first three had gone on to great things I'd be happy to join a 'isn't Clough terrible - he's ruined Cywka's DCFC career' bandwagon.    However none of them have produced displays to suggest Clough was incorrect to move them on.   In addition did your 'couple of lads' not consider that the players concerned had any influence over their DCFC jobs? - for instance by doing the job asked of them by Clough & the rest of the coaches in a more consistent fashion.

As for Sammon I found it baffling to hear sarcastic cheers when he controlled the ball after his miss.    The negative attitude of many supporters saps the life out of the ground imo and any notion that the atmosphere is the owners fault, Clough's fault or the player's fault is another chance for us, as supporters, to blame the soulless atmosphere on someone else.  I sit in the NE corner whilst we all get frustrated with the team and/or individuals at times it seems that many are simply waiting to have a go at Sammon  (or the latest scapegoat, Coutts).   Several around me didn't even seem bothered when Hendrick scored.   There's a strong chance I'm viewing the '80s with rose-tinted specs but I'm sure the 10-12,000 who went regularly to see the tripe offered up by the likes of Mick Brolly had a more positive attitude than many show these days...and believe me we really were **** then.

I'd cash in on the fact he's a international and hope that'll either recoup the money we paid or some daft sod pays over the odds (abit like NC did).

Worst than Mikkel Beck, I'm not even joking.

I know that you are trolling as usual, but that's a bit poor, even for you.

I believe the people that slate Sammon do so because they're in denial or confused about who they should be aiming their criticisms too. After grilling a couple of lads I was with about why they criticise him, I got down to the reason, simply because the manager has ruined the Derby careers of so many players for making a couple of mistakes (Cywka, MaGuire, Moxey, Jacobs etc) yet Sammon is allowed to carry on with a carte-blanche. 

Sorry Mostyn, but you have crossed the border from silliness to lunacy. Still, it's good entertainment. A bit like watching Tommy Cooper (the 'Glass-bottle-bottle-glass' one, not the one who played for Derby)

When I was little, my gran used to tell me that everything that did you good would feel or taste nasty at the time. That's what I'm suggesting - that you catch the Shitty Ground emotional roller-coaster for a while. After you've thrown up, you'll feel better.

I'm ALL middle ground, because frankly to hold the extreme views you do just seems to be, well, a bit pathetic really. It's an undisputed fact that extremists of one form or another also have ZERO sense of humour. Remember when you slash your writs, that it's 'down the road', not 'across the street'.

As for growing up - what, and become like you, seeing bad things everywhere I look? No thanks.

Great sense of humour you've got. Also, the capability you have of determining so many traits of my personality is incredible, please tell me how you do it.

As for your Gran's wisdom...I like it. Love wise grand parents. Wish I still had one :( I just hope that when I become old I've also become wise...like Gandalf, or Dumbledore.

Pah.

Sammon can do what he can do, and he can work on what he can't.

He's got a Ram on his chest, and until we've got a better option, we get behind him.

Great sense of humour you've got. Also, the capability you have of determining so many traits of my personality is incredible, please tell me how you do it.

As for your Gran's wisdom...I like it. Love wise grand parents. Wish I still had one :( I just hope that when I become old I've also become wise...like Gandalf, or Dumbledore.

No idea what you are like 'in real life' - you might be the life and soul of the party, for all I know. I'm commenting about your internet persona, which comes across on occasion as very much a glass half-empty type of character.

My gran used to run the canteen at Thorntons, so I might be a bit biased (CHOCOLATES FOR EVERYBODY!!!!). She died 30-odd years ago and until her dying day she thought that Jack Stamps was God and that Syd Buller was Satan. Had a lot of sense, my gran.

You look at someone like Steve Howard, who was older and alot less mobile than Sammon.

He scored for fun in his debut season, brought others (Peschisolido) into play and scored some sweet penalties along the way.

Now what's the excuse with Sammon? He's younger, playing at international level therefore should be more than capable of pitying himself up against very (below) average defenders in this league. He scored 15 goals in 23 appearances for Killie some seasons go; "not a goal scorer" my anus.

Either His move to Wigan destroyed him mentally or the SPL is absolutely dire and made guys like Sammon, Kris Boyd and Chris Porter look like goal machines.

Varney was a joke signing considering the money involved, but Conor Sammon isn't far behind. 

Sorry Mostyn, but you have crossed the border from silliness to lunacy. Still, it's good entertainment. A bit like watching Tommy Cooper (the 'Glass-bottle-bottle-glass' one, not the one who played for Derby)

Why so Eddie?

There must be a reason people are on Sammon's back. 

What's your rational explanation?

Why so Eddie?

There must be a reason people are on Sammon's back.

What's your rational explanation?

allow me to throw the alledged price tag into the fray.

Some might say the cost could have gone on a "better" striker with a "better" record.

I very much doubt if Derby paid much more for him than Wigan did. Why would they? They were outbid originally, and the lad didnt cut the mustard at Wigan. So why pay double 18 month later?

If we know for sure he was bought for £600 k then people's attitude would have been different.

Fact!

it's a possibility, but people couldn't care less about pricetags when their expectations about performances are met.

A couple of Man of the Match awards, maybe a scoring streak (3 in 5 games or similar) would be something most proficient strikers have achieved at some point in a career, would see people moving attention from Sammon onto the next scapegoat.

We have a better option than Sammon

Connor Doyle is bagging for the under 21s

Connor Doyle, even if he ended up as the greatest thing since sliced bread, will never be accepted by some at Derby - because he was written off a couple of years ago.

I'm actually surprised that some of our fans learned to appreciate Igor - after all, he had a pretty poor game on debut.

You look at someone like Steve Howard, who was older and alot less mobile than Sammon.

He scored for fun in his debut season, brought others (Peschisolido) into play and scored some sweet penalties along the way.

Now what's the excuse with Sammon? He's younger, playing at international level therefore should be more than capable of pitying himself up against very (below) average defenders in this league. He scored 15 goals in 23 appearances for Killie some seasons go; "not a goal scorer" my anus.

Either His move to Wigan destroyed him mentally or the SPL is absolutely dire and made guys like Sammon, Kris Boyd and Chris Porter look like goal machines.

Varney was a joke signing considering the money involved, but Conor Sammon isn't far behind. 

Different circumstances, Howard played in a promotion winning side.

You'll be much happier at the other end of Brian Clough Way by the sound of it. Give it a try.

Not sure if Rammieib would be happier at the other end of Brian Clough way, that's just cruel....but I think many of us would be a lot happier if Sammon was at the other end of Brian Clough way... ;)

He's got a good work effort but we need players with footballing ability if we are to progress as a team...time to cut our losses with the fish, get back what we can on him & free up some wage budget, to invest in the players that are worth keeping..or to tempt other targets into the club...

Archived