Derby County stats and facts

Duracell

Just seen some pretty odd statistics about Derby recently, just thought we should have a thread dedicated to them all. The youth of today could learn a lot from them (ahem).

How many people turned up before mobile phone contracts?

Many may think that Derby's 4,724 strong attendance against Scunny this season in the League Cup might be Derby's lowest attendance for a competitive home game. Well they'd be wrong. While that may be the lowest attendance at Pride Park, that record is positively blown out of the water by the 750 fans that watched our riveting First Division fixture against Darwen at the Racecourse Ground on the 18th of November 1893.

How many goals did we used to ship before we signed Keogh?

Derby have twice recorded 8-0 defeats, both away from home, proving that our travel sickness is not a new phenomenon. Blackburn thrashed us in 1891, before Sunderland repeated the same scoreline three years later.

What about our record victories though? Again, the Rams have done it twice, and again, on both occasions it happened in the 1890s. Wolves and Sheffield Weds were both on the end of Derby County pumellings in a decade where defending in the English game left more than a little to be desired...

You may also be surprised to learn that this season's 2-2 draw with Sheffield Wednesday is not our record. 6 goals more and we would have equalled our 5-5 draws with Everton in 1898 (running theme with this decade) and Birmingham in 1966.

Jamaican me crazy

"What about the most capped player whilst playing for the club!?" is the next question I hear you all asking. Well fear not, I know that too. This is not a record which goes to any of our championship-winning sides, nor Peter Shilton, nor Steve Bloomer. No, this record goes to the lynch-pin of the great Jamaican sides of the late 20th century, Dion Burton, who had the privilege of playing for Jamaica 42 times whilst calling Derby his home.

Who was the first non European to win the Jack Stamps Trophy?

It's never happened. The first foreigner to win it was Jacob Laursen though in 1998-99, if you're not counting Irish people...if you are, then it's Dave Lagan in 1977-78.

Who was the first foreigner to play us then?

Derby's relationship with Jonny Foreigner didn't begin with Laursen. The first foreigner to don the black and white and bring some overseas magic to the people of Derby was the Egyptian inside forward Tewfik "Toothpick" Abdullah, who made 11 appearances for the Rams in 1920-21 season. On his debut, he was alleged to have come on the pitch against Manchester City shouting "where's my camel?", although on closer examination, it was found that he was actually asking "where's Mick Hammill?".

That's all for now, but feel free to add your own. Albert must have loads to tell us, with graphs and charts...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was the first foreigner to play us then?

Derby's relationship with Jonny Foreigner didn't begin with Laursen. The first foreigner to don the black and white and bring some overseas magic to the people of Derby was the Egyptian inside forward Tewfik "Toothpick" Abdullah, who made 11 appearances for the Rams in 1920-21 season. On his debut, he was alleged to have come on the pitch against Manchester City shouting "where's my camel?", although on closer examination, it was found that he was actually asking "where's Mick Hammill?".

That's all for now, but feel free to add your own. Albert must have loads to tell us, with graphs and charts...

Surprised me there,Bunny.I would have gone for the Gambian,Biri,who BC signed in 1970.The player who was the inspiration for Commons' glove wearing antics,perhaps.

I had absolutely no idea about that. Ahead of our time! Thank you.

My pleasure.Of course,you have to appreciate that glove wearing wasn't exactly common then,and caused much mirth.

My pleasure.Of course,you have to appreciate that glove wearing wasn't exactly common then,and caused much mirth.

Well Derby in January is a far cry from Gambia in the height of summer, but I'm sure the 1970s football ground were not so forgiving about that fact...

I don't think many people thought 2-2 was our record draw - lol - I feel like you were actually getting at the 5-5 with Ssausagehorpe in the Cup? We drew 4-4 with Bradford when Craig Burley scored two out of three penalties, I believe that match had four penalties, possibly a record.

I don't think many people thought 2-2 was our record draw - lol - I feel like you were actually getting at the 5-5 with Ssausagehorpe in the Cup? We drew 4-4 with Bradford when Craig Burley scored two out of three penalties, I believe that match had four penalties, possibly a record.

Tongue-in-cheek comment about how dull current football is. You go through most club's records and a good 50% set goal-scoring ones in the 1890s. The game was still developing but defending wasn't developing at the same rate.

Scunny 5-5 has equalled the other records, which I forgot about.

Four penalties must surely be a record!

I also remembered a 4-4 home draw with Charlton in the Tim Ward era,featuring Mike Bailey (what a player-I think BC was later interested).

Stumbled across this a couple of months ago, a strange match involving Sunderland and Derby on 1 September 1894, Derby lost 8-0 and there were three halves after this first one was declared void due to the designated ref arrived late! Sunderland were winning 3-0 and the ref offer Derby the choice to void the first half which they did! The Derby side had Steve Bloomer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_three_halves

http://roker-roar.com/pauldays/navbar/matches/safc%2011%20v%200%20dcfc.html

Highest margin of defeat in a FA Cup final losing 6-0 to Bury.

The only team ever to spend £16million on a new ground and failing to ensure that the floodlights are capable of working long enough to light the whole of the first game.

Bit more than that-I've seen reference in accounts to historic cost just under £21m.Seem to remember it was originally financed by a mixture of equity and debt in a spun off company.

Bit more than that-I've seen reference in accounts to historic cost just under £21m.Seem to remember it was originally financed by a mixture of equity and debt in a spun off company.

Had it in my head that original cost was £16 million. Probably spent more since on filling in SW corner and putting boxes in NW corner.

Had it in my head that original cost was £16 million. Probably spent more since on filling in SW corner and putting boxes in NW corner.

The c£21m derives from the 07/08 accounts and follows the revaluation in late 07 (hence the reference to original cost-it was due for revaluation late 2012,so I expect the reference to appear again in 12/13 accounts).

The total historical cost of all fixed assets was £27.546m in 04/05,and in 07/08 it was £27.264m,which suggests the £21m for the ground applied in 04/05.

I know that sometime in the past I saw the breakdown of the original cost between equity and debt,but I'm deuced if I can find it now.From memory (and I'm in no way sure),the equity came from Webb/Pickering/Gadsby,and that total of debt and equity exceeded £20m.

Not exactly on thread,but here's an interesting read I found about one of my all time favourites:-

[url=http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/derby-county-fc/ron-webster-10100/part-1-1962-67_a12424/]http://www.sporting-...1962-67_a12424/

........and here's a godsend for past matches-get the teams (sometimes) and goalscorers by clicking on match:-

[url=http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/matches/season/1963]http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/matches/season/1963

Archived