Board Out? or Manager Out? or Both?

DCFC94

This isn't some over reaction from some fan who has blind loyalty for their club who is panicing because we lost a game. I assure you this is a level headed argument from a fan who is disillusioned with the direction that the Club is taking under owners who are contradictory and are liars, who seem to be happy to forget what promices they made to fans when they first took over the club, and in prededing seasons.

For 3 entire seasons I've sat in the same seat in the East Stand (Great view) and watched match after match where Derby have been excellent under Clough, but that's all we've ever had under Clough, a string of great results for about 10 games, only to completely implode in the second half of the season. We had a great run about 2 seasons ago in the first half of the season, we beat Palace 5-0, the run lasted until about late Octer when we lost at Turf Moor. My point is in those 10 games, we were wer excellent, fluid passing, solid defense, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals. Then we had a meltdown in the 2nd half.

My point is that under Clough and this Board we haven't improved in 3 entire seasons, some of you guys may argue we've improved in certain areas, fiscal responsibility, reduced wage bill and club debt, better Goalkeeper. But overall I'd say we are nowhere better off on the footballing side we were 3 years ago, in the past 3 seasons under Clough we've finished 14th, 19th and 12th, I mean I'd rather we got relegated into league one 3 seasons ago because it would have given us the shock we needed, as other clubs have (Forest, Leicester, Norwich, Southampton, Brighton are a few which come to mind) I mean at least in League One we would actually have a constitent season and win a few games, assuming we got down with little dept and a small wage bill, which we do, we would surely do pretty well without going into oblivion like clubs like Luton, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

While I accept the board have reduced club debt and the wage bill which was dangerously high for the quality of player we had at the time, it seems to me that that has come at the cost of performances, I'm skeptical that we can buy players from the lower leagues and finding gems all the time, the only Player Clough brought from a lower league club who is great is Brayford, 80% of his other signings have been complete disasters for the club, anyone remember Pringle?? Maybe its Clough's dodgy tactics, like that fact he benches Robinson, who was our joint top scorer last season, I'm not a tactics man, but it doesn't make sense to bench your top scorer. Furthermore DCFC have had an awful habit of being incapable to offer perhaps £1000 more in wages to hold onto our top scorers, Hulse, top scorer sold, Commons, sold, Davies, sold.

Finally, the board are inconsitent and incoherant in the clubs aims and ambitions. When we got took over, I went to a talk in QUAD, where Glick set out his aspirations for Derby to became a mid table premier league club within 5 years. 2 seasons ago he said we would buy "Experienced championship players", and we didn't buy anyone who fitted that bill, and once again the owners have fallen silent on the clubs aim. We have a "Long term plan?" My problem with long term plans is they take time (duh!?) but in football, the basic principle that everyone knows is that managers don't have "time". How long is the long term plan going to take? Next season, 5 seasons time!?.Because if it means This great club is going to continue plodding along under Clough and Appleby going nowhere, you may as well wake me up when we are there and then I'll buy a season ticket. Watching the Burnley match yesterday I realised how much of a mug I was renuing my ticket. I've been going the best part of 10 years, and we hve had ups and downs, the downs have sometimes been more exciting than the ups, I went to Blackburn in 2008 and when we had already been relegated and even when we were down 3-1 Im was cheering for my team because I though :y'know what, things will be better next season. 4 years have past and I feel like the Club I love is going nowhere, under a manager and owners who are happy to do nothing but make lame excuses as to why we aren't doing well. Why can't we have a consitent season? Why does Clough waste money on unproven players? Why doesn't Clough play his best players?

You know I'm right, just check out the sombre atmosphere at the next home match, fans used to scream when we got a free kick, now its like watching golf, the crowds really quiet and claps mildly when we get the ball. And our attendance is the lowest it's been for 8 years. We're a club in crisis, even though we're better financially, (lower debt) its come at what cost?

I expect fans who have blind loyalty for Clough and the Americans to tear this apart, but any level headed, realist fan of DCFC but realise in THREE seasons, nothing has changed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't some over reaction from some fan who has blind loyalty for their club who is panicing because we lost a game. I assure you this is a level headed argument from a fan who is disillusioned with the direction that the Club is taking under owners who are contradictory and are liars, who seem to be happy to forget what promices they made to fans when they first took over the club, and in prededing seasons.

For 3 entire seasons I've sat in the same seat in the East Stand (Great view) and watched match after match where Derby have been excellent under Clough, but that's all we've ever had under Clough, a string of great results for about 10 games, only to completely implode in the second half of the season. We had a great run about 2 seasons ago in the first half of the season, we beat Palace 5-0, the run lasted until about late Octer when we lost at Turf Moor. My point is in those 10 games, we were wer excellent, fluid passing, solid defense, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals. Then we had a meltdown in the 2nd half.

My point is that under Clough and this Board we haven't improved in 3 entire seasons, some of you guys may argue we've improved in certain areas, fiscal responsibility, reduced wage bill and club debt, better Goalkeeper. But overall I'd say we are nowhere better off on the footballing side we were 3 years ago, in the past 3 seasons under Clough we've finished 14th, 19th and 12th, I mean I'd rather we got relegated into league one 3 seasons ago because it would have given us the shock we needed, as other clubs have (Forest, Leicester, Norwich, Southampton, Brighton are a few which come to mind) I mean at least in League One we would actually have a constitent season and win a few games, assuming we got down with little dept and a small wage bill, which we do, we would surely do pretty well without going into oblivion like clubs like Luton, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

While I accept the board have reduced club debt and the wage bill which was dangerously high for the quality of player we had at the time, it seems to me that that has come at the cost of performances, I'm skeptical that we can buy players from the lower leagues and finding gems all the time, the only Player Clough brought from a lower league club who is great is Brayford, 80% of his other signings have been complete disasters for the club, anyone remember Pringle?? Maybe its Clough's dodgy tactics, like that fact he benches Robinson, who was our joint top scorer last season, I'm not a tactics man, but it doesn't make sense to bench your top scorer. Furthermore DCFC have had an awful habit of being incapable to offer perhaps £1000 more in wages to hold onto our top scorers, Hulse, top scorer sold, Commons, sold, Davies, sold.

Finally, the board are inconsitent and incoherant in the clubs aims and ambitions. When we got took over, I went to a talk in QUAD, where Glick set out his aspirations for Derby to became a mid table premier league club within 5 years. 2 seasons ago he said we would buy "Experienced championship players", and we didn't buy anyone who fitted that bill, and once again the owners have fallen silent on the clubs aim. We have a "Long term plan?" My problem with long term plans is they take time (duh!?) but in football, the basic principle that everyone knows is that managers don't have "time". How long is the long term plan going to take? Next season, 5 seasons time!?.Because if it means This great club is going to continue plodding along under Clough and Appleby going nowhere, you may as well wake me up when we are there and then I'll buy a season ticket. Watching the Burnley match yesterday I realised how much of a mug I was renuing my ticket. I've been going the best part of 10 years, and we hve had ups and downs, the downs have sometimes been more exciting than the ups, I went to Blackburn in 2008 and when we had already been relegated and even when we were down 3-1 Im was cheering for my team because I though :y'know what, things will be better next season. 4 years have past and I feel like the Club I love is going nowhere, under a manager and owners who are happy to do nothing but make lame excuses as to why we aren't doing well. Why can't we have a consitent season? Why does Clough waste money on unproven players? Why doesn't Clough play his best players?

You know I'm right, just check out the sombre atmosphere at the next home match, fans used to scream when we got a free kick, now its like watching golf, the crowds really quiet and claps mildly when we get the ball. And our attendance is the lowest it's been for 8 years. We're a club in crisis, even though we're better financially, (lower debt) its come at what cost?

I expect fans who have blind loyalty for Clough and the Americans to tear this apart, but any level headed, realist fan of DCFC but realise in THREE seasons, nothing has changed.

Opinion or fact?

Neither. The board may have broken promises or whatever but they have done what they wanted in cutting wages and debt. They may not have spent millions but I don't care some good players have signed for us under them and those that have left have hardly done anything better with their careers. The manager I fine as well he has done questionable decisions but overall has done a decent job. The club has never looked like threatening for promotion, on paper or the ptich, since we were relageted. The manager is fine and should also stay but I would think it's time to go if this year is a poor one. I don't think anyone should be leaving everyone complains about the board and the manager but who would you like instead gary megson and Peter gadsby? Didnt think so. So relax everything is fine now is the time to just support the rams instead of constantly moaning and complaining. And I am neither a clough lover or a fan of the board. Just a fan with a sensible view.

How long is the long term plan going to take? Next season, 5 seasons time!?.

I read the whole post and feel your pain. I think many fans are in the same mind set as you (myself included but maybe not to your extent!) I think the long term plan is the main issue though, Nigel Clough has no pressure on him whatsoever so we could be 'progressing' for a few more years yet and still be nowhere near the playoffs.

Without meaning to depress you further, the one thing that you praise GSE for is probably incorrect. The debt is almaost certainly higher now than when GSE took over. Admittedly, a large slice of that is internal debt owed to the owners, but it is still a debt which may one day have to be repaid.

Under the present regime I believe that we are a lower mid-table Championship team going nowhere. The danger of this is that steadily falling revenues make it harder and harder to maintain even that modest position. It is likely that we'll eventually get relegated if nothing changes. Nigel is, sadly, no genius manager, but he is adequate. Given the resources he'll keep us up, but will never get us promoted.

Now the worry of changing either board or manager is that our slow decline could easily turn into a very rapid one. If new owners run things as commercially badly as GSE have done, but fail to put in the money to cover the losses, then we could easily end up like Plymouth. If a new manager has to make do and mend as Nigel has often had to do we could lose even more and be facing next season in L1. On the flip side, new owners might be prepared to invest sufficiently to make us competitive or a new manager might prove to be a miracle worker and get this squad promoted. Personally, I think that GSE are the weak link and having an agency managing us, rather than being directly run by the owners is our main problem. I'd like to see GSE go and the investors put their own board in place.

My main hope for the future is the new CEO. He has a strong CV and I doubt that he intends to fail. Hopefully he'll be the new broom who either backs or sacks the manager.

...blah blah blah...

Where do you get the free time to write this much?

I'm in the middle of an essay if you want to help me out? It's about the discard law. I just need a few pros and cons, and some refrences from Mp's, and MEP's. You game?

Without meaning to depress you further, the one thing that you praise GSE for is probably incorrect. The debt is almaost certainly higher now than when GSE took over. Admittedly, a large slice of that is internal debt owed to the owners, but it is still a debt which may one day have to be repaid.

Under the present regime I believe that we are a lower mid-table Championship team going nowhere. The danger of this is that steadily falling revenues make it harder and harder to maintain even that modest position. It is likely that we'll eventually get relegated if nothing changes. Nigel is, sadly, no genius manager, but he is adequate. Given the resources he'll keep us up, but will never get us promoted.

Now the worry of changing either board or manager is that our slow decline could easily turn into a very rapid one. If new owners run things as commercially badly as GSE have done, but fail to put in the money to cover the losses, then we could easily end up like Plymouth. If a new manager has to make do and mend as Nigel has often had to do we could lose even more and be facing next season in L1. On the flip side, new owners might be prepared to invest sufficiently to make us competitive or a new manager might prove to be a miracle worker and get this squad promoted. Personally, I think that GSE are the weak link and having an agency managing us, rather than being directly run by the owners is our main problem. I'd like to see GSE go and the investors put their own board in place.

My main hope for the future is the new CEO. He has a strong CV and I doubt that he intends to fail. Hopefully he'll be the new broom who either backs or sacks the manager.

Wrong. Although you did admit you weren't sure.

The owners 'loaned' the money out to the club with no intention of getting it back. It was basically an investment but for complicated reasons they called it a loan.

Archived