Tom Naylor and Ben Davies could leave before deadline day

Curtains

Considering that Burton had been in the 6th tier since the late 70s having finished at best in 3rd place before Nigel's arrival, I must say that I think he did alright to get them into the Conference National and then into the Football League.

When you put it like that I do see your POV to be fair. I guess it depends on circumstances at the time, resources available to Clough when he took over. I still think seven years is a long time to get a team promoted, *but* that's one reason I've always been reasonably patient with Clough - the time he took with Burton clearly points to the fact that his work at Derby would no doubt follow a similar pattern.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right - can you link me please? I still speak to the guy regularly and might query what the funk he was on about.

You want something referencing their position at the time?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_Southern_Football_League]The Southern Football League for the 2001-02 season, note that Gresley Rovers finished 5th in the Division One West.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Premier_League_2001-02]Here is the Northern Premier League in the same season, this showing Burton's first place finish and how Vauxhall Motors were the runners up that season.

I will have to re-check my facts then. To be frank, I've never looked into it closely enough. The chap who told me is a good friend and I took what he told me at face value as the truth. Seems odd that he'd make a big deal about it if Gresley weren't even in the same league at the time!

You probably got confused with what he said (or he didn't know himself what he was talking about!), they're two separate incidents.

While both in the Southern Prem, Gresley won the league but were denied promotion on ground grading (despite being willing and allowed to do the necessary work in the rules we were still denied. This was the root cause of Gresley's troubles that eventually led to them being reformed a few years later.

After many years of not quite making it in the SPL, Burton switched to the NPL and subsequently got promoted. It was known to be a slightly weaker league and Gresley fans obviously labour that point slightly. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

When you put it like that I do see your POV to be fair. I guess it depends on circumstances at the time, resources available to Clough when he took over. I still think seven years is a long time to get a team promoted, *but* that's one reason I've always been reasonably patient with Clough - the time he took with Burton clearly points to the fact that his work at Derby would no doubt follow a similar pattern.

Its also worth noting that during that time he was taking Burton into new territory, they had not played that that level before and he ultimately saw them into the Football League, something which is a much bigger deal than many think now. Its hard to really compare exactly what level it really is historically, but put bluntly Nigel took Burton into new territory and not only made them a competent conference side, but made them into a Football League club. His influence that season was absolutely massive as well, with the side picking up 61 points in 27 games (~2.26 points per game) before he left to join us whilst the side managed only 27 points in their remaining 19 games (~1.42 points per game) after he left.

7 years seems like a long time, but Burton didn't suddenly start throwing money around, they weren't some big fish in a small pond which Nigel got playing, they were a side that sat in the 6th tier since well before I was born who Nigel took to new heights which they had never seen before.

Its also worth noting that during that time he was taking Burton into new territory, they had not played that that level before and he ultimately saw them into the Football League, something which is a much bigger deal than many think now. Its hard to really compare exactly what level it really is historically, but put bluntly Nigel took Burton into new territory and not only made them a competent conference side, but made them into a Football League club. His influence that season was absolutely massive as well, with the side picking up 61 points in 27 games (~2.26 points per game) before he left to join us whilst the side managed only 27 points in their remaining 19 games (~1.42 points per game) after he left.

7 years seems like a long time, but Burton didn't suddenly start throwing money around, they weren't some big fish in a small pond which Nigel got playing, they were a side that sat in the 6th tier since well before I was born who Nigel took to new heights which they had never seen before.

It should also be noted that once Burton Albion did get into the Conference, they were in a league where nearly every other team was full-time, whereas they remained part-time until they got into League 2. A tremendous achievement in my eyes.

You probably got confused with what he said (or he didn't know himself what he was talking about!), they're two separate incidents.

While both in the Southern Prem, Gresley won the league but were denied promotion on ground grading (despite being willing and allowed to do the necessary work in the rules we were still denied. This was the root cause of Gresley's troubles that eventually led to them being reformed a few years later.

After many years of not quite making it in the SPL, Burton switched to the NPL and subsequently got promoted. It was known to be a slightly weaker league and Gresley fans obviously labour that point slightly. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

That's it exactly - now you've posted that it's all coming flooding back.

@Albert - apologies I had my wires cross. Didn't intentionally mean to start spreading misinformation!

Archived