Arsenal

Tony Le Mesmer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal fans, or at least some really annoy me, protests to get wenger out, battering him on talk sport etc etc.

Well I hope they get their wish and then can go on a slow gradual decline to mid table obscurity and then can look back and long for the days of the odd fa cup win and a constant top 4 finish.

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Arsenal fans, or at least some really annoy me, protests to get wenger out, battering him on talk sport etc etc.

Well I hope they get their wish and then can go on a slow gradual decline to mid table obscurity and then can look back and long for the days of the odd fa cup win and a constant top 4 finish.

They should take a look at Man Utd to find out what happens when they try to replace a longstanding manager. Lets see if there long streak of Champion League football continues without him.

Personally I hope they get relegated as unlikely as it is - they are the only team never to earn their place in the top league on merit.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

They should take a look at Man Utd to find out what happens when they try to replace a longstanding manager. Lets see if there long streak of Champion League football continues without him.

Personally I hope they get relegated as unlikely as it is - they are the only team never to earn their place in the top league on merit.

Plus don't forget why they play in red. Another reason.

I think it all comes down to money.

If I was an Arsenal fan paying over a grand a year just for one season ticket I'd have wanted him out years ago.

When you chuck in the fact that he is on 8 million a year as well then that compounds it.

Just say Mac managed Derby for the next ten years and always finishing fourth and not going up through the play offs then would you be happy to keep paying your 500 quid a year season ticket and not want him out?

Especially when Derby would consistently have one of the best budgets in the division, as do Arsenal.

Wenger has failed the supporters big time but everyone else is happy because the money keeps rolling in.

42 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think it all comes down to money.

If I was an Arsenal fan paying over a grand a year just for one season ticket I'd have wanted him out years ago.

When you chuck in the fact that he is on 8 million a year as well then that compounds it.

Just say Mac managed Derby for the next ten years and always finishing fourth and not going up through the play offs then would you be happy to keep paying your 500 quid a year season ticket and not want him out?

Especially when Derby would consistently have one of the best budgets in the division, as do Arsenal.

Wenger has failed the supporters big time but everyone else is happy because the money keeps rolling in.

Think the equivalent achievement for Mac would be keeping us up in the Prem every season, but never venturing in the top half of the table.

In an all-time league table based on points accumulated in the top flight, we're 16th. Arsenal are 2nd.

Throughout football history, it's been very rare for clubs to maintain high levels or dominance over many years, and when the big clubs struggle the fairy tales happen.

Fergie and Wenger have normalised consistency. No club in this country has traditionally been too big to fail but in my lifetime, Man United and Arsenal qualifying for Europe and competing for trophies has largely been a fact. 

That means there is a generation of Arsenal fans who treat finishing fourth, comfortably passing through the group stages of the Champions League, reaching domestic cup finals and all of that as the absolute worst it can get because they don't know any different. Older generations of fans have forgotten what it can be like.

Arsenal could easily become the next dominant force in English football if they get it right, but equally, they could really hit the doldrums and I can't say I wouldn't enjoy it. I know so many Gooners with a huge sense of entitlement - wouldn't do them any harm to learn that they don't have a God-given right to be challenging for titles or qualifying for the Champions League.

Archived