Johnny Russell

Ramchope

This is how it is going to pan out.

Russell looking around today. Speaking with Nigel and Sam tomorrow. Medical tomorrow. Home kit comes out. Tweet from Owen Bradley at around half five saying "Announcement expected from Derby to come at 6". " Derby County are delighted to confirm the highly anticipated signing of Johnny Russell from Dundee United on a three year deal. Russell holding the new disgusting shirt up and then we will all talk bout how we were not worried about anything.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://t.co/n8qvKkjHjK

Michael Gardyne believes Johnny Russell could use his potential move to Derby County as a springboard to the English Premier League.

The Dundee United forward is expected to travel to finalise his transfer to the Championship side on Sunday evening.

Russell is also expected to meet Rams boss Nigel Clough before putting the finishing touches on his contract.

Gardyne believes his team-mate has the talent to make it in England's top flight if he can impress at Pride Park.

He told Press Association Sport: "I don't want to big wee Johnny up too much - he's got a big enough head already.

"But if he does what he did here for Derby, then people will obviously take a look at him and then the sky will be the limit for him."

Jon Daly, Willo Flood and Barry Douglas have already departed Tannadice this summer with Paul Paton, Chris Erskine, Brian Graham Andrew Robertson and Aidan Connolly arriving from Scottish Football League sides.

Gardyne feels the summer of change will stand Jackie McNamara's men in good stead for the campaign ahead.

He said: "This has been the way with United for the past couple of years - we lose four or five big players.

"But it's a chance for the new manager to bring in the players he wants.

"Last season it was me coming in and now I'm looking forward to seeing the new boys and what they are like.

"Paul, Chris and Brian are coming up from the First Division and it will be a big jump for them. But they will be prepared for it.

"I played against them last year when I was at Ross County and they are good players. I'm not sure about the Queen's Park lads but they are here because the manager has seen something in them too.

"The SPL is a step up in class but the way we train is at a high intensity and that will help get the boys ready.

"We have already seen Paul and Chris help Partick win a First Division title medal so they have clearly got a winners' mentality. They will want to continue that.

"They were going to be in the SPL anyway with Partick but to make the move to United shows their bravery."

Here we go.....two weeks ago no-one mentioned Perch.....now suddenly he's the player we need.

I wasn't recommending him. It's just that we have been linked with him. If we do get him, we should play him in midfield because he's not the best defender. This would allow the other guys from our midfield to support the front guys. 

Archived